• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2012
    Yes, it really does sound like A SINGLE MAN, vol. 2 at times (only with more piano over strings), but that's probably also why I like it so much. I love Korzeniowski in that style.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. It's very nice, but very frustrating to be reminded of other works in nearly every track.

I'll go a step further. It's the LAIR of romantic film scores.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Hideaways - Eric Neveux

Wow, this is nice. One for fans of the Rachel Portman sound - it doesn't quite have her melodic sense, but has a bit of an edge to it which compensates for that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'm the only person listening to anything today by the looks of things. Anyway...

Frantic - Ennio

Not the typical type of Morricone I listen to a lot, but this one is fantastic. On the FSM album, I've only listened to the album tracks so far. Wonder whether it's worth trying the film arrangements instead.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2012 edited
    I've been listening to Stravinsky's Rite of Spring and Firebird Suite on a continuous loop all day! I know this should go in the Non-Film Music thread but screw that... everyone (film music fans, too) need to... scratch that... should be required to have these two remarkable, ground breaking, revolutionary classical pieces in their collection.

Now that I'm done my 5th lap with these two... how can I go back to listening to film music? There really isn't anything better, is there?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I love Stravinsky. Those two are just phenomenal. Which recordings have you got?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2012 edited
    Just the Bernstein LSO/NY Phil recordings. They sound pretty darn good to me but if you have something better I'm all ears!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. LSH wrote
    NP: AMAZING STORIES: SANTA '85 - THOMAS NEWMAN

Haven't heard this in a while but it is truly lovely. Despite it's short running length (just 13 mins), it demonstrates just how early Newman had his distinctive style pinned down.

I've been trying to find that for years, but no luck. Where did you find it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Just the Bernstein LSO/NY Phil recordings. They sound pretty darn good to me but if have something better I'm all ears!

-Erik-

Same as me, then!
  3. Lorne Balfe - Ironclad

Not half bad. Some good ideas here and there and generally a nice soundscape. His influence on Zimmer's recent style is evident here.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2012 edited
    NP: Man on a Ledge - Henry Jackman

To be honest, it does remind you of other electronica efforts from other RC members (Klaus, Ramin, Geoff) but there's something kinda engaging about the final output.
    Ramin's new propulsive score for Safe House seems to be another good step as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2012
    I thought Safe House was good; Man on a Ledge, not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Southall wrote
    I thought Safe House was good; Man on a Ledge, not.

I'd concur with that statement. Safe House was surprisingly good. I'm glad that Ramin's finally stepped away from that Prison Break soundscape that he created and went above it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    I've been listening to Stravinsky's Rite of Spring and Firebird Suite on a continuous loop all day! I know this should go in the Non-Film Music thread but screw that... everyone (film music fans, too) need to... scratch that... should be required to have these two remarkable, ground breaking, revolutionary classical pieces in their collection.

Now that I'm done my 5th lap with these two... how can I go back to listening to film music? There really isn't anything better, is there?

-Erik-

Yes there IS....loads and loads and loads cool ( well, maybe not better but equal to )

But yeah, those two works are truly deserving of the word MASTERPIECE.

Have you ever listened to Shostakovitch 7th symphony? ( bugger doing everything in order wink ) It's seriously awesome and deserving of your attention, yet another one of those works where after listening to it I find film music a bit "un-filling" in comparison.

p.s. I almost missed this post of yours Erik, I wouldn't have missed it at the Off Topic thread, nothing wrong with posting it here but why not paste it in the other thread too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Just the Bernstein LSO/NY Phil recordings. They sound pretty darn good to me but if you have something better I'm all ears!

-Erik-

I don't think you can ever go wrong with Bernstein ( or rarely ), one of the most passionate composer/conducters who ever lived, of more recent recordings I was very impressed with Valery Gergiev with the Kirov Orchestra version of Rite of Spring.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Earlier heard Cliff Martinez - Drive

First time I've heard it outside the film and it has some good moments though isn't overly appealing. Works mostly as tone-setting soundscape.

Now on Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close - Alexandre Desplat

Starts well and seems to be ending well too, though there are a few (3 or 4) filler cues that do nothing.
    Some typically lovely writing for piano, and even if its sound becomes a little too overbearing, it has a very pleasant, soothing melodic feel to it.
  4. One of those was the best thing I heard last year. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor won't quite know which way to turn!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    A Walk in the Clouds - Maurice Jarre

Very good romantic score with a beauty of a main theme. Rather repetitive though, even at 30 minutes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: ODDITIES & ENDS (Danny Elfman)

A mix of the Elfman/Burton box set disc and a whole bunch of other rarities that have no relation to Burton.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. NP: Papillon (Goldsmith)

Please Jerry. Please. Take away the memory of Whitney so rudely reawoken by recent events. I need to wake up with your music in my head again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Phantom Menace - John Williams

This deserves a considerably better film to go with it. Great album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It's the best prequel score by country parsec.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Hideaways - Eric Neveux

Wow, this is nice. One for fans of the Rachel Portman sound - it doesn't quite have her melodic sense, but has a bit of an edge to it which compensates for that.

I can confirm that !
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    David OC wrote
    Earlier heard Cliff Martinez - Drive

First time I've heard it outside the film and it has some good moments though isn't overly appealing. Works mostly as tone-setting soundscape.

Exactly . You are spot on regarding its function. Rarely I visited it on cd after watching the film, but In the later, it works flawlessly. As an isolated musical experience it doesn't hold the musical or emotional traits to stand alone like his Solaris did.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Lorne Balfe - Ironclad

Not half bad. Some good ideas here and there and generally a nice soundscape. His influence on Zimmer's recent style is evident here.

It's quite good actually. The movie isn't bad either smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2012
    Demetris wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Lorne Balfe - Ironclad

It's quite good actually. The movie isn't bad either smile

Yeah, it's quite enjoyable. The score works pretty well in it.
  6. I just saw the movie. The music works fairly well (maybe a tad too intense at times?). God, was Paul Giamatti having fun hammering the character biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    The Phantom Menace - John Williams

This deserves a considerably better film to go with it. Great album.

Given that the film has no real main character or central plot point, I'm always amazed Williams was able to find a core to the film to write themes as great as Duel of the Fates and Anakin's Theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    He added to the film. He inserted emotions that would have never been there otherwise. He kept it from completely sucking. That's what great film composers do, and that's what modern directors don't want done to their films, because they want to be the Sole Creative Genius.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!