• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2012
    Southall wrote
    There Be Dragons - Robert Folk

Now, this is an Erik Woods score if ever I heard one. Really enjoying it.

Booya! Great isn't it?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. One film-related song of recent years that I think is a wonderful piece of music: Shirley Bassey's "No Good About Goodbye" that should have been in Quantum of Solace.

THIS is a Bond song - David Arnold does a great job at recreating the whole feel of those 60s/70s Bond song. And having Bassey singing the song also helps a bit!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorBlu
    Black Gold - James Horner

Love the main theme! If only James Horner had developed it further through out the score instead of repeating it note-by-note in every cue...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: REAL STEEL (Danny Elfman)

The battle cues are cool (Elfman does MV!), but the more introspective music (guitar, strings) for the intimate moments are better.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2012
    Magic - Jerry Goldsmith

Always loved the unsettling main theme, creepy use of harmonica too. Plenty of classic Goldsmith suspense moments scattered throughout, many skillfully contorting the main theme. 'The Lake' is another standout cue.
    • CommentAuthoradam
    Erik Woods wrote
    I've been listening to Stravinsky's Rite of Spring and Firebird Suite on a continuous loop all day! I know this should go in the Non-Film Music thread but screw that... everyone (film music fans, too) need to... scratch that... should be required to have these two remarkable, ground breaking, revolutionary classical pieces in their collection.

Now that I'm done my 5th lap with these two... how can I go back to listening to film music? There really isn't anything better, is there?

-Erik-

This is my fave recording of ROS:
    http://www.discogs.com/Igor-Stravinsky- … se/2490497

The sound is incredibly powerful on this one. Makes others sound dead.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE FARTHEST REACHES (various)

I love this compilation of world music-influenced film scores, compiled by John Takis from the FSM boards.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Cassandra Crossing - Jerry Goldsmith

Wonderful 70s action/thriller music. Film is hilariously bad, god knows where Goldsmith's inspiration came from.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    The Cassandra Crossing - Jerry Goldsmith

Wonderful 70s action/thriller music. Film is hilariously bad, god knows where Goldsmith's inspiration came from.

The film is a "good" bad film, love those Stavinskyesque rhythms.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2012 edited
    adam wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    I've been listening to Stravinsky's Rite of Spring and Firebird Suite on a continuous loop all day! I know this should go in the Non-Film Music thread but screw that... everyone (film music fans, too) need to... scratch that... should be required to have these two remarkable, ground breaking, revolutionary classical pieces in their collection.

Now that I'm done my 5th lap with these two... how can I go back to listening to film music? There really isn't anything better, is there?

-Erik-

This is my fave recording of ROS:
    http://www.discogs.com/Igor-Stravinsky- … se/2490497

The sound is incredibly powerful on this one. Makes others sound dead.

...and talking of Stravinsky I totally agree with you Adam, Gergiev's version is awesome, my favourite too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. David OC wrote
    Magic - Jerry Goldsmith

Always loved the unsettling main theme, creepy use of harmonica too. Plenty of classic Goldsmith suspense moments scattered throughout, many skillfully contorting the main theme. 'The Lake' is another standout cue.

That is a nice one. punk
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Viva Zapata! - Alex North

I woke up this morning with a peculiar urge to listen to something by Alex North. So I am. My favourite Golden Age film composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    "Gathering Forces" is one of the great pieces of film music - the original performance remains the definitive one I think. There is an energy to it which isn't really present in any of the re-recordings I've heard and Alfred Newman, conducting, manages to get the perfect balance between the sweetness of the melody (the Newman strings not out in full force, but very much there) and the aggression of the percussion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Since I bumped into Alan Silvestri this morning this seemed appropriate, especially taking into consideration his reason for being in London...

NP: Captain America - Alan Silvestri
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Jim Ware wrote
    Since I bumped into Alan Silvestri this morning this seemed appropriate, especially taking into consideration his reason for being in London...

"bumped" into Alan Silvestri? Please tell us more.

( is it anything to do with scoring THE AVENGERS? )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Jim Ware wrote
    Since I bumped into Alan Silvestri this morning...

Subtle. I like it. biggrin
  3. Jim Ware wrote

Very cool, it seems to be the week for it, I saw Thomas Newman on a certain set at Pinewood this week...
  4. The Terminal John Williams

My God, the love theme is just gorgeous!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Just saw the begining of KING OF KINGS on Channel 5, now THAT Ladies and Gentlemen is how you write choral music, unlike todays mostly generic choral writing you could take away the choir from the theme to King of Kings and it would still be full of substance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    John Chambers wrote
    Very cool, it seems to be the week for it, I saw Thomas Newman on a certain set at Pinewood this week...
    punk
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Superman: The Movie - John Williams

Gorgeous, bombastic score. What a classic!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    William wrote
    NP: Superman: The Movie - John Williams

Gorgeous, bombastic score. What a classic!

Funny enough your avatar looks like The Daily Planet sign wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Timmer wrote

I was walking along Oxford Street and he was coming the other way, so I took the opportunity to have a brief chat! The Avengers has just been recorded at Abbey Road. punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Jim Ware wrote
    Timmer wrote

I was walking along Oxford Street and he was coming the other way, so I took the opportunity to have a brief chat! The Avengers has just been recorded at Abbey Road. punk

Was he surprised that someone recognised him? wink

Oh, and what did you talk about?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Under the Volcano - Alex North

A blisteringly good musical portrait of alcoholism. This is simply exceptional music, one of the most treasured albums in my collection, a 21-minute masterpiece.
  5. Jim Ware wrote
    Timmer wrote

so jealous shame

but good for you smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2012
    The Journey of Natty Gann - James Horner

This is a delight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2012 edited
    Southall wrote
    The Journey of Natty Gann - James Horner

This is a delight.

It certainly is! I recommend following it up with the Amazing Stories score Alamo Jobe which is stylistically very similar.

NP: The Woman in Black - Marco Beltrami

Don't buy the lossless download from Silva Screen! It's riddled with ticks, pops and clicks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2012
    The Thin Red Line - Hans Zimmer

Phenomenal score.