• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2012
    I often find myself thinking of Tarzan's balls.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2012
    Don't we all.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Hans Zimmer - Inception

cool
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2012
    The Cider House Rules - Rachel Portman

Very pretty. But kinda boring.
  2. Really? One of my favourite Portman scores.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It's my all time favorite Portman score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's really nice... but would I really be missing anything if I reduced it to a five-minute suite?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2012 edited
    Yes, we would be missing the rest of the 35 minutes and 34 seconds of magnificence!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    34 seconds of magnificence dragged out to 35 minutes???

I agree with Mr Southall, 5 minutes is just fine.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Balto - James Horner

Like all his scores for animations, this borrows heavily from various Russian masters but when the results are this impressive, it's hard to be bothered. This has such an epic sound to it. Quite wonderful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL - THOMAS NEWMAN

First listen. Like it a lot so far! Gorgeous stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Journey 2 - Andrew Lockington

Surprisingly enjoyable. But too long.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    LSH wrote
    NP: THE BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL - THOMAS NEWMAN

First listen. Like it a lot so far! Gorgeous stuff.

Oh OH! Want. How is it like?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Exactly what you'd expect. It's Thomas Newman plus India.

It's colourful and exotic. Lively in parts, soothing in others. Lots of vocal work. That's all I can say really. It's great though!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    LSH wrote

It's colourful and exotic. Lively in parts, soothing in others. Lots of vocal work. That's all I can say really. It's great though!

I bought it today too. "Exactly what you'd expect" is just right. American Beauty, filtered through Bollywood.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2012 edited
    UN PROPHÈTE | alexandre desplat

There comes a day in every man's life when he understands the appeal of a previously unappreciable score... and this could be the day.

I now work in Brussels for a few months, and the only advantage is that I'm in the center, close to lots of multicultural streets full of phone shops, book stores and cosy cd/vinyl corners around the old center. Got Un Prophète for a cheap price, and while I initally didn't like the score when I heard it two years ago, now I seem to appreciate it a lot more. Very quiet, in the vein of Desplat's scores for De battre mon coeur s'est arrêté, but with a much darker side to it. Pity of some of the dialogue (most can be filtered out though!). The music gets really expressive after the first half. SOme of it reminds me of The Ghost Writer, Gunfight for example.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote

Any Sitar?
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Absolutely!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    To me, that is a bonus! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The Molly Maguires - Henry Mancini

Holy crap, this is an excellent album. Mancini at his dramatic finest (no Baby Elephant Walks, Moon Rivers or Pink Panthers in this one. No Sirree!). Fine thematic and lyrical album with -evidently- a strong celtic streak and one hell of a great and gloomy theme that makes many a (welcome) reappearance.

Charles Strouse's rejected score is on the CD as well, but I can take or leave it.
    In fact it utterly pales next to Mancini's far superior replacement score.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Timmer wrote
    To me, that is a bonus! cool

Thomas Newman mixed with India? And sitar?

Yes to Newman but turned off by the India references.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: My Week with Marilyn - Conrad Pope

Good movie. Really enjoyed the score in the movie as well. And it works pretty well on album with many welcomed refrain of the Desplat melody. Though I do get a strong whiff of John Williams once in a while, which isn't a bad thing, I suppose.
  4. Southall wrote
    LSH wrote

I bought it today too. "Exactly what you'd expect" is just right. American Beauty, filtered through Bollywood.

Good enough for me. cool
  5. Bregt wrote
    UN PROPHÈTE | alexandre desplat

There comes a day in every man's life when he understands the appeal of a previously unappreciable score... and this could be the day.

I now work in Brussels for a few months, and the only advantage is that I'm in the center, close to lots of multicultural streets full of phone shops, book stores and cosy cd/vinyl corners around the old center. Got Un Prophète for a cheap price, and while I initally didn't like the score when I heard it two years ago, now I seem to appreciate it a lot more. Very quiet, in the vein of Desplat's scores for De battre mon coeur s'est arrêté, but with a much darker side to it. Pity of some of the dialogue (most can be filtered out though!). The music gets really expressive after the first half. SOme of it reminds me of The Ghost Writer, Gunfight for example.

'Gunfight' is probably one of the highlights. I do wish the dialogue was cut out of that one. Subdued, but compelling on repeated listens if you like darker material.

Oh, and wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  6. NP: Shame (Harry Escott)

It's not surprising to hear another major director (Steve Mcqueen) has, like Paul Thomas Anderson, Ridley Scott and Jean Pierre Jeunet before him, fallen to the charms of Hans Zimmer's 'Journey to the Line'. I like this approach to the material -- more about the build-up than climax.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2012
    I am Sam (John Powell)

Unique and enjoyable score.

Rating: ****

Peter smile
  7. Southall wrote

I have to check it out, big fan of the first score.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2012 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Southall wrote

I have to check it out, big fan of the first score.

It sounded pretty good in the film. Reminded me a lot of National Treasure 2 in that the composer rehashes the first score and then decides to add a secondary "awe" theme to try to make the audience feel awed just in case the film is not working. Rabin did it with woodwinds, Lockington here does it with a cooing choir. It's a nice theme, very cliched idea but I think I will enjoy it on album.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2012 edited
    Mission Impossible IV Ghost Protocol - Michael Giacchino

I've come to enjoy this one a lot more than his first Mission score. (Once you edit the album down a bit.) Like the film, it's far more stylish. I also love the obvious geographical music! Great stuff.