• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2011
    The Legend of Zelda 25th Anniversary Symphony Koji Kondo

Fans of big, bold symphonic music with plenty of themes will eat this up. You certainly don't need to be a fan of the games in order to appreciate this album either! Absolutely fantastic.

I believe this was arranged by Chad Seiter? Which makes sense considering there's definitely a western feel to the music. Sometimes Japanese game music can become a little overbearing, but the western influences -at least for me- reign that in a bit.

Go to soundcloud and listen to "Gerudo Valley" if you need anymore convincing:

http://soundcloud.com/multiplayers/sets … zelda-25th
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Mmmmm! Liked it I did!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Steven wrote
    The Legend of Zelda 25th Anniversary Symphony Koji Kondo

Fans of big, bold symphonic music with plenty of themes will eat this up. You certainly don't need to be a fan of the games in order to appreciate this album either! Absolutely fantastic.

I believe this was arranged by Chad Seiter? Which makes sense considering there's definitely a western feel to the music. Sometimes Japanese game music can become a little overbearing, but the western influences -at least for me- reign that in a bit.

Go to soundcloud and listen to "Gerudo Valley" if you need anymore convincing:

http://soundcloud.com/multiplayers/sets … zelda-25th

Is this what's on the "orchestral CD" that I saw included with the new Legend of Zelda game release (I saw it bundled in the Wii version)?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NINTENDO-Legend … -1-catcorr
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE THIEF OF BAGDHAD / THE JUNGLE BOOK (Miklos Rozsa)

The ol', great Colloseum CD.

Ain't nothing like it! punk

(Except of course Bernstein's rerecording)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. "The Last Castle"
    By: Jerry Goldsmith

By far he put more effort into this score than certain other later efforts, most especially some vigor into the orchestrations which had kind of gone on Jerry auto pilot a bit that era.

Still a fairly weak score, I wouldn't even call it second shelf material, but about there. Maybe the events of 9/11 put some American patriatism in him and inspired some effort and ideas. Track 12 is dedicated to the national tragedy which took place during filming.

Track 3 nearly pissed me off. On a lower volume, it sounds like the sound effect he used for about 30 seconds, is the CD skipping, and I got pissed and went on to the next track. Only upon re-visiting did I realize the error.

The score suffers from what a number of his later scores suffered from: quiote, quite, quite, sudden fucking burst of loud orchestra after you've turned the volume up, causing you to curse.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: NIGHTWATCH (John Williams)

Great dramatic 60's effort by Williams, with lots of trademarks - flute triplets, those famous string riffs etc.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Is this what's on the "orchestral CD" that I saw included with the new Legend of Zelda game release (I saw it bundled in the Wii version)?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NINTENDO-Legend … -1-catcorr

I would imagine so considering there's a Skyward Sword track on the album? (There are plenty of other Zelda orchestral recordings out there though.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2011
    Cinderella Liberty - John Williams

First listen. I have an uneasy relationship with much pre-Jaws Williams, but this is pretty good. Love the funkier parts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    yonythemoony wrote
    NP: Baby Boy - David Arnold

I like the soul influences of this one. And the inclusion of orchestral and thematic material. Though I prefer Four Brothers.

Fun coincidence! I made it to that title a few days ago in my alphabetical run-through of my whole collection. Really not a big fan of it though. It's hard to listen to something so urban and hip when I know this is the man capable of swashbuckling fun like The Musketeer.

NP: My 15th episodic Babylon 5 CD in a row.
    Sooooo sick of it. Why am I so stubborn?
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2011 edited
    Princess Mononoke - Joe Hisaishi

Listening to this score has gotten my brain going (dangerous thing that) and I think I might have a novel idea. If I described Joe Hisaishi as an Asian Delerue, would that be a reasonable comparison?

Similarities:
    -Both are excellent theme writers.
    -Their scores tend to have a cheery manner to them.
    -Both can not write really convincing action music (you may disagree, but it's what I think).
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Better than the asian John Williams, but still far off.

A more exact comparison: Hisaishi = the asian Hisaishi.

Peter smile
  3. I've often thought of Hisaishi as being a bit like an Asian John Williams.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Better than the asian John Williams, but still far off.

A more exact comparison: Hisaishi = the asian Hisaishi.

Peter smile

yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Cinderella Liberty - John Williams

First listen. I have an uneasy relationship with much pre-Jaws Williams, but this is pretty good. Love the funkier parts.

Indeed. A couple of those cues could have been taken right out of SHAFT or something. Excellent score!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: KILLER BY NIGHT (Quincy Jones)

Some nice elements, but overall a weird 60's suspense score that doesn't do much for me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Ogniem I Mieczem - Krzesimir Debski.
    Oh look, how cute, its a baby Conan! biggrin
    Seriously, while this score is not quite as diverse and perfect as Conan the Barbarian, there is some stunning writing in here of a similar vein. Thanks to Martijn for introducing me to this composer. This is the kind of stuff you never hear in Hollywood scores anymore and wish you could.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Scribe wrote
    NP: Ogniem I Mieczem - Krzesimir Debski.
    Oh look, how cute, its a baby Conan! biggrin

biggrin

Glad you like it, Matt.
    I in turn was introduced to this by Peter Lindboe.
    I really love it when once in a while a recommendation comes along that really shakes things up.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Any tips on how in the world to pronounce his name?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    dizzy

At a guess CrZAzy-meer DEB-skee.
    But I guess Pawel could help out here?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Batman Live - James Seymour Brett

This is from the new live arena show that opened this past summer in the UK. Brett's score will be available some time in the new year. I'm currently listening to what will be available on that album is it's nothing short of spectacular! Big, bold, Gothic, Elfmanesque symphonic score. Plenty of themes, lots of fun circus music, great drama, large orchestral swells. It doesn't take itself too seriously but the level of writing displayed here by Brett is extraordinary! I've never put a musical/Broadway/arena show score in my yearly Top 10 but after listening to this incredible work I think Brett's score will be the first ever non-film/TV/Video Game score in my Top 10.

When this one becomes available, folks, go and get it!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Jane Eyre John Williams

I'm completely head-over-heals in love with this score, and the various recordings available.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    ...various recordings? What?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Jane Eyre John Williams

I'm completely head-over-heals in love with this score, and the various recordings available.

Agreed. Speaking of JANE EYRE, the conductor Adriano recently replied to a thread of mine about the Herrmann version over at FSM. That was kinda cool.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

Two to my knowledge, Gerhardt and a Prague recording.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Jane Eyre John Williams

A strong contender for best TV score ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

Two to my knowledge, Gerhardt and a Prague recording.

Am I on everyone's ignore list?

COME ON!

crazy wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ha! I missed that!
    Thanks Erik. wave

So these are suite rerecordings, yeah? Not the entire score?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Not entire score.

I also have a live recording of a 14 minute suite conducted by Williams with the NY Phil in 2007.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Ha! I missed that!
    Thanks Erik. wave

So these are suite rerecordings, yeah? Not the entire score?

No, no one has rerecorded the entire score. ( unless the original Williams album is a re-record? )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Am I on everyone's ignore list?

COME ON!

crazy wink

-Erik-

Yes, sorry. I did read that! beer