• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Jane Eyre John Williams

I'm completely head-over-heals in love with this score, and the various recordings available.

A strong contender for best TV score ever.

It's a TV program!? I did not know that.

In that case, this and Masada spring to mind as the greatest TV scores... or at least score to mini-series.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    War Horse John Williams

The English countryside surely provides composers with ample inspiration.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Jane Eyre John Williams

I'm completely head-over-heals in love with this score, and the various recordings available.

A strong contender for best TV score ever.

It's a TV program!? I did not know that.

In that case, this and Masada spring to mind as the greatest TV scores... or at least score to mini-series.

It was produced and screened as a feature film in Europe (at least England), but later shown as a TV film in the US.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Batman Live - James Seymour Brett

This is from the new live arena show that opened this past summer in the UK. Brett's score will be available some time in the new year. I'm currently listening to what will be available on that album is it's nothing short of spectacular! Big, bold, Gothic, Elfmanesque symphonic score. Plenty of themes, lots of fun circus music, great drama, large orchestral swells. It doesn't take itself too seriously but the level of writing displayed here by Brett is extraordinary! I've never put a musical/Broadway/arena show score in my yearly Top 10 but after listening to this incredible work I think Brett's score will be the first ever non-film/TV/Video Game score in my Top 10.

When this one becomes available, folks, go and get it!

-Erik-

I'm hoping to hear it soon, but what I heard I liked a lot
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. THE MEXICAN - ALAN SILVESTRI

Now this is the kind of highly memorable Silvestri, featuring wonderful themes and performances, the kind we've been missing a lot lately.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. INTERSECTION - JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

And immediately after the fun of The Mexican, this little gem. I'm gonna say this, I especially like JNH from this period, having written this style of music, as opposed to his current style. The kind of simple yet heartfelt melodies he could do in a heartbeat during that time (the same with Alive and Grand Canyon) I had forgotten what an emotional album this is, it's been too many years ago. And I'm liking the score more than ever. The harmonica melody in 'Home' for instance is wonderful (by our own Toots Thielemans no less). There are some great moments in this score and it's always nice to re-discover something and it turns out better than you remember it.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Steven wrote
    War Horse John Williams

The English countryside surely provides composers with ample inspiration.

I'm not going to listen to it until I hold the disc in my hands. THIS I SWEAR!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    By pure coincidence I just finished listening to John Barry's sublime MIDNIGHT COWBOY which also features Toots Thielemens on the main theme cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Really? Some kind of telepathic communication going on a subconscious level? AWESOME! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2011 edited
    He truly is someone who Belgium should be justly proud of. My favourite Thielemens playing is on Jaco Pastorius album WORD OF MOUTH, truly sublime and a genuine workout for someone of such ability, not that hardly anyone on this thread would have heard of it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. You seem to know more about his music than I do, which is practically zilch.
  7. Martijn wrote
    dizzy

At a guess CrZAzy-meer DEB-skee.
    But I guess Pawel could help out here?

Ksheseemeer Denbskee
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  8. Jerry Goldsmith - The Russia House

One of my all-time favourite Goldsmith scores, if NOT my favourite. Jazzy, breezy, dark, sensual, melodic, harmonious. Brilliant. And finally on an original CD.

The package also featured another favourite of mine - Horner's Sneakers and Zimmer's Thelma and Louise in the Kritzerland edition. I knew that score too - had the bootleg.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    He truly is someone who Belgium should be justly proud of.

He is in fact my fourth favourite Belgian.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    NP: Babylon 5 -- Z'Ha'Dum
    This is IT! The LAST of my 23-strong Babylon 5 collection!!
    After that I can finally move on alphabetically to Baby's Day Out. Man, that score is going to sound even more fun than usual.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    War Horse - JT Williams

This has grown on me, much as Tintin did (Tintin from 3 to 3.5 stars, this from 4 to 4.5, probably). So much to admire.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    HeeroJF wrote
    NP: Babylon 5 -- Z'Ha'Dum
    This is IT! The LAST of my 23-strong Babylon 5 collection!!
    After that I can finally move on alphabetically to Baby's Day Out. Man, that score is going to sound even more fun than usual.

Ha, ha...I know how you feel.

I often get these urges to go through, say, everything I have of a certain composer, and if I have a lot of them, it can sometimes be a chore. For example, much of Williams' 60's output (further made worse by C&C presentations). I have to force myself through crap like JOHN GOLDFARB etc.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2011
    Martijn wrote
    Scribe wrote
    NP: Ogniem I Mieczem - Krzesimir Debski.
    Oh look, how cute, its a baby Conan! biggrin

biggrin

Glad you like it, Matt.
    I in turn was introduced to this by Peter Lindboe.
    I really love it when once in a while a recommendation comes along that really shakes things up.

Glad you remember that! beer

Now playing: Baby Conan punk

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    War Horse - JT Williams

This has grown on me, much as Tintin did (Tintin from 3 to 3.5 stars, this from 4 to 4.5, probably). So much to admire.

It's wonderful.

Rango Hans Zimmer

I really like this after seeing the movie. It's a strange movie, but Zimmer gets it right. Very good indeed.
  9. KevinSmith wrote
    Princess Mononoke - Joe Hisaishi

Listening to this score has gotten my brain going (dangerous thing that) and I think I might have a novel idea. If I described Joe Hisaishi as an Asian Delerue, would that be a reasonable comparison?

Similarities:
    -Both are excellent theme writers.
    -Their scores tend to have a cheery manner to them.
    -Both can not write really convincing action music (you may disagree, but it's what I think).

Some of the action music he wrote for Spirited Away was pretty cool, but it still had a "concert suite" quality to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: VERTICAL LIMIT - JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

One of his best. Very Goldsmithian in parts. Love it.

cool
    • CommentAuthorBlu
    NP: Happy Feet Two - John Powell and VA

Terrific album. It doesn't happen very often that I enjoy a score-song-combo CD in its entirety, but here is one. John Powell never ceases to amaze me with what he does in this genre. We are the Champions is sooo fun!

The only disappointing factor here is the mastering (or maybe mixing?). Music as fun as this deserved something better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Started the day off quietly with A Single Man.

And now I'm listening to Woad to Ruin, one of the most energizing pieces of music I know!!
    dizzy

Oh, yes, the Prague version. It's awesome. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: AIR FORCE ONE (Jerry Goldsmith)

Fun, tongue-in-cheek patriotism.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor, had a look at the new LaLaLand releases yet? wink
  10. GRAND CANYON - JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

Another one of those great early scores by the man I love to death. JNH captured the human story of a bunch of people with their ups and downs in a truly magical and memorable way. The film is also one of my faves of the 90's because it remains a timeless tale about the hardships and joys of life.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Batman Live - James Seymour Brett

This is from the new live arena show that opened this past summer in the UK. Brett's score will be available some time in the new year. I'm currently listening to what will be available on that album is it's nothing short of spectacular! Big, bold, Gothic, Elfmanesque symphonic score. Plenty of themes, lots of fun circus music, great drama, large orchestral swells. It doesn't take itself too seriously but the level of writing displayed here by Brett is extraordinary! I've never put a musical/Broadway/arena show score in my yearly Top 10 but after listening to this incredible work I think Brett's score will be the first ever non-film/TV/Video Game score in my Top 10.

When this one becomes available, folks, go and get it!

-Erik-

The show was recently in Oslo but I didn't want to risk disappointment (I'm very sensitive about Batman interpretations!). But it seems I missed something good...

I'm curious... is it based entirely on original material, or does it use any segments from Elfman, Shirley Walker (the animated series) or Zimmer/Howard?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    GRAND CANYON - JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

Another one of those great early scores by the man I love to death. JNH captured the human story of a bunch of people with their ups and downs in a truly magical and memorable way. The film is also one of my faves of the 90's because it remains a timeless tale about the hardships and joys of life.

A favourite JNH album of mine it makes a great late evening listen, almost like a chill out album and then you get stirred by the excellent and very Bill Conti like Grand Canyon Fanfare.
  11. ^ Just now listening to that cue while reading your post. punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : A SYMPHONY OF HOPE : THE HAITI PROJECT - A lot of composers

25 film and TV composers from Nathan Barr to Christopher Young come together for a very worthy project and the result is a very fine and listenable album that I'll return to many times.