• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2011
    Nautilus wrote
    M:I Ghost Protocol Michael Giacchino

Too sad the mixing/recording or whatver is...so...I don't know. I don't like it. Erik is the expert in this issues. So maybe He can help me.

Is it like Super 8 where they managed to make a 100 piece orchestra sound like it was playing inside a tin can? Why do they mix everything so narrow? It's a massive orchestra, it's meant to be loud and have reverb and oomph!
    • CommentAuthorBlu
    Anthony wrote
    Is it like Super 8 where they managed to make a 100 piece orchestra sound like it was playing inside a tin can? Why do they mix everything so narrow?

Pretty much yes, though not as "narrow".
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    m:i:3 was a more enjoyable score
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    John Chambers wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : CONAN THE DESTROYER - Basil Poledouris

love

Amazing!

Dagoth Ceremony ( formerly known as The Orgy ) was awesome with choir.

I'm playing the whole CD again right now! punk

I've really been enjoying this since it arrived on Saturday, obviously it doesn't reach the dizzying heights of the original but it's a terrific performance of a fun score. And what a treat to get the score for the stage show rerecorded on disc 2, I think I'm enjoying this even more than disc 1.

Yeah it's superb! I really love the percussive Capricorn One influenced 'The Fight'.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I didn't expect Conan the Destroyer to be as good as it is with this re-recording. Martijn was spot on with his assessment and I wonder how many more mediocre sounding scores would get higher marks with this orchestra performing them.

I've ordered this now, as I wasn't sure whether I would like this sequel treatment.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    I didn't expect Conan the Destroyer to be as good as it is with this re-recording. Martijn was spot on with his assessment and I wonder how many more mediocre sounding scores would get higher marks with this orchestra performing them.

I've ordered this now, as I wasn't sure whether I would like this sequel treatment.

It seems like I was in a minority of people who could hear how good DESTROYER is/was. rolleyes

Anyway, this recording has shot up to one of my top 10 releases of the year.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    It seems like I was in a minority of people who could hear how good DESTROYER is/was. rolleyes

Interestingly you were.
    I know this score like the back of my hand, and was convinced I didn't like it much.
    The rerecording utterly blindsided me, and definitely changed my assessment of how my preferences are created/biased..
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Until reading the liner notes I didn't realise 'Adventures of Conan' was scored before DESTROYER, interesting to note that the 'mystical' music ( Winds of The Woods ) was expanded upon a year later for Destroyer's score.

How refreshing it is on THIS thread to be talking about a composer whose name isn't Zimmerpowellgiacchino.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    James Horner
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Blu wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Is it like Super 8 where they managed to make a 100 piece orchestra sound like it was playing inside a tin can? Why do they mix everything so narrow?

Pretty much yes, though not as "narrow".

There are very few Giacchino scores (the MoH ones being a welcome exception) that don't sound like this...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    James Horner

...would make a change from Michael Giacchino tongue wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Michael Giacchino.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2011 edited
    Speaking of which...

Mission: Impossible IV Michael Giacchino

As Jordi said, there's a very decent and enjoyable 40 minutes within a 70 minute or so album. I LOVE the Russian bits!

Sorry Timmer. shame If it's any consolation I listened to some Elmer Bernstein earlier today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Very Best of Hans Zimmer / John Powell / Michael Giacchino Mix

A bizzare mix I know but something inside me told me I should create this playlist. As if my future had something to do with it.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. John Williams - A.I.

I remember it being one of my favourite Williams albums, but I haven't heard it in years. Got it on CD today, so a good excuse, I guess smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Very Best of Hans Zimmer / John Powell / Michael Giacchino Mix

A bizzare mix I know but something inside me told me I should create this playlist. As if my future had something to do with it.

-Erik-

biggrin applause
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Speaking of which...

Mission: Impossible IV Michael Giacchino

As Jordi said, there's a very decent and enjoyable 40 minutes within a 70 minute or so album. I LOVE the Russian bits!

Sorry Timmer. shame If it's any consolation I listened to some Elmer Bernstein earlier today.

In that case.... I approve! cool

just in case anyone was wondering, I do like Giacchino... a lot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Medal of Honor - Michael Giacchino

Awesome game score. My first time hearing the original!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNeilbucket
    NP: War of the Worlds - John Williams

For some reason I really wanted to listen to this after spending the morning listening to John Barry's Moonraker and Marvin Hamlisch's The Spy Who Loved Me.
    Insert witty line here
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Days of Heaven - Ennio Morricone

Easily the soundtrack release of 2011 as far as I'm concerned, I've listened to this as much as all other albums released this year added together. An absolute stunner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2011
    Synanon a new Hefti release
    listen to more classical music!
  3. Yet again this year: "The Thorn Birds" (Henry Mancini)

I've said it before, and better, so I won't try again unless truely inspired with wording, but this is a beautiful, lovely score, one of the greatest scores I have heard, and I would hold one of the best things Henry did. Lush, soft, delicate, upbeat, playful, sad, so much to offer. Beautiful, easily memorable themes.

Purchasing the 2CD Varese Sarabande release was hands down one of the best things I ploped money down on.

I simply wish more people would have heard this. I almost never see anybody talk about this score
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Krull - Jerry Goldsmith

First time hearing this. WOW. Fantastic. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    KRULL is a stunning work from young James Horner!

To this day it remains in my top 5 all time great scores.

Very pleased to hear you like it William! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Thought it was Goldsmith. face-palm-mt Haha, thanks for the correction!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Yes, it's a great work. The main theme is stunning.
  4. William wrote
    Thought it was Goldsmith. face-palm-mt Haha, thanks for the correction!

face-palm-mt INDEED !!!

Don't you forget it now!!!!! crazy

wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. GREMLINS - JERRY GOLDSMITH

Now this is unmistakably Goldsmith, fun and creative goofiness all the way! I love the score and film! beer

The long overdue release is finally in my hands.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    William wrote
    NP: Krull - Jerry Goldsmith

First time hearing this. WOW. Fantastic. punk

With corrections I would approve of this post.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    KRULL is a stunning work from young James Horner!

To this day it remains in my top 5 all time great scores.

Very pleased to hear you like it William! beer

I approve of THIS post.