• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2012
    NP : SNEAKERS - James Horner

Excellent score!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2012 edited
    I think I've said it before, but I'd pay money just to see the opening titles in the cinema... and then I'd walk out because I think the film's a bit shit.

Superman, that is. Dammit Timmer.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I really like the film, sure the effects look pretty dated now but the film has genuine heart and a lot of charm, a real feel good movie, at least for me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, no I get that and appreciate that aspect. 'Shit' is a bit unfair, but it's not a film I feel I need to return to. I even remember watching it as a kid and not being that impressed - side from the music (although I probably didn't realise I was impressed by the music).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Yeah, no I get that and appreciate that aspect. 'Shit' is a bit unfair, but it's not a film I feel I need to return to. I even remember watching it as a kid and not being that impressed - side from the music (although I probably didn't realise I was impressed by the music).

I was young when I first saw this film so it has a very nostalgic connection for me, sometimes it's quite hard to see some films through the eyes of people who weren't born on it's release, on the other hand one of my all time favourite films is NIGHT OF THE DEMON which is before my time and
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It had little to do with being around for its release and more to do with me just not being particularly impressed. I remember seeing it as a kid, but I don't remember loving it. Star Wars on the other hand I remember being crazy about... and it's never changed!

In fact, I think the oldest film I loved when I was a kid was The Time Machine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Timmer wrote

Excellent score!

I watched the film again the other day - lots of prominent cues not on the album; one for Intrada methinks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    SUPERMAN is a wonderful film by any measure. The sequels are pants, however (even though 2 and 3 have some nostalgic value for me).
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Finishing going through the "Columbo" footwarmer. Some great stuff on there.

I had a chance to hear some of his film scores, but none of them comapred to his work on "Duel" (of this TV scoring aforementioned). Maybe I've just not heard the right ones.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2012
    I think the recent wave of superhero blockbusters has gradually made me appreciate the original Superman more and more - beyond just the score by Williams. The recent films don't take acting seriously - it would seem that as long as a scene is shot in front of a blue screen they can get away with anything, even if they chose to cast a goat as Superman they'd have their movie. Of course some actors have a distinguished screen "presence" that can be appreciated, but depth in character interactions is lacking. Also, the bombast "messiah-inspired" thematicism is offputting for the more seasoned adult audiences. Shrieking choir harmonies to accent a heroic act is just too cheap for me at least! The Nolan films are good though, and I think Zimmer really found himself in that project, almost a "hand in glove" fit for him. Other than that, the new films only tend to evoke fond memories of Reeve, Kidder and Hackman in the orignal film. Such life, energy, dialogue delivery, beautiful non-digital/organic scenography, and long, detailed, deeply poetic, visually compelling (Geoffrey Unsworth's final film before his death - fantastic!), contrast-oriented, and inspirational scenes from start to finish. If I had to choose a single film to bring to a desert island, this would be one of the top candidates... smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    I think I've said it before, but I'd pay money just to see the opening titles in the cinema... and then I'd walk out because I think the film's a bit shit.

More than "a bit" as far as I'm concerned. It's borderline embarrassing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Jim Ware wrote
    Timmer wrote

Excellent score!

I watched the film again the other day - lots of prominent cues not on the album; one for Intrada methinks!

I'll have to take your word, I only saw the film once on it's release and that was before I bought the soundtrack.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I was young when I first saw this film so it has a very nostalgic connection for me, sometimes it's quite hard to see some films through the eyes of people who weren't born on it's release, on the other hand one of my all time favourite films is NIGHT OF THE DEMON which is before my time and

...and what? I can't remember where I was going with this? Got a phone call from a friend and ended up talking rubbish ( read: nonsense and laughing ) for an hour.

Anyway....move along. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    It had little to do with being around for its release and more to do with me just not being particularly impressed. I remember seeing it as a kid, but I don't remember loving it. Star Wars on the other hand I remember being crazy about... and it's never changed!

In fact, I think the oldest film I loved when I was a kid was The Time Machine.

The Time Machine is, forgive the pun, timeless, Brilliant film. The recent(ish) version was one fuck of a sorry ass film.
  2. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE WIND AND THE LION (Jerry Goldsmith)

One of his best, for sure. "Raisuli Attacks" is an obvious and busy showpiece, but I've grown to appreciate the softer parts over the years.

I need to review (i.e., re-listen) to a lot of the Goldsmith titles I don't really make a connection with to see if there is a common theme about them. I'd rank Goldsmith as one of my Top 5 composers but there are several titles (that everyone else seems to love) that I just don't "get".

I'm doing the same, but I'm gonna review them as well. Got a couple standing ready as we speak smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Star Trek IV - Leonard Rosenman

There isn't a great deal more music (except alternate versions) but the sound quality on the new Intrada album is so much better it's unbelievable. There is so much more punch to it. Wonderful music too, of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Southall wrote

There isn't a great deal more music (except alternate versions) but the sound quality on the new Intrada album is so much better it's unbelievable. There is so much more punch to it. Wonderful music too, of course.

I absolutely love this score, by the way. Five stars all the way. No idea why others seem to dismiss it. (If anyone says "It doesn't sound like a Star Trek score!" then they are going straight to jail, not passing go, not collecting £200.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I've always loved the theme, and I'm relatively familiar with the score in the film... though I've never bothered to listen to it on album. But you have piqued my interest in this new release, that's for sure.
  3. Southall wrote
    Southall wrote

I absolutely love this score, by the way. Five stars all the way. No idea why others seem to dismiss it. (If anyone says "It doesn't sound like a Star Trek score!" then they are going straight to jail, not passing go, not collecting £200.)

Absolutely, wonderful score. Love it. My favorite Rosenman.

Now if only we can fix you on "Superman" and "Back to the Future"...
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Southall wrote

It has nothing to do with STAR TREK...I just don't like Rosenman, and this is no exception -- although I kinda like the main title theme and the hospital chase. And also the Yellowjacket tracks on the album, but those are not by Rosenman.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Yes they are! (But I will accept your answer as a valid one anyway.)
  4. Or a C-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Yes they are! (But I will accept your answer as a valid one anyway.)

They are? Well, then they're part of the good tracks of him too.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Southall wrote
    Steven wrote

More than "a bit" as far as I'm concerned. It's borderline embarrassing.

I just like to know what is borderline embarrassing about Superman??? confused

I don't think Williams thought it was embarrassing, writing one of the best scores of all time for it.

Or Christopher Reeve (RIP) for creating such an iconic character.

Or the effects guys for coming up with the amazing (for its time) visual effects.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    Or the effects guys for coming up with the amazing (for its time) visual effects.

Hmm, were they though? They look pretty average to me, even for a late 70s film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Hmm, were they though? They look pretty average to me, even for a late 70s film.

They are borderline embarrassing.
  6. Southall wrote

I don't have the cd yet. Does the booklet say something about the music that also appears in Deplat's/Zigman's Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium ("Triscadecaphobia")? I'm sure if this had been a Horner score there would have been at least 50 FSM threads about it. Is this an original piece by Rosenman or something classical?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Some of them were ( the Dam burst was awful ) but a lot of it is up there with the best of that time.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : OUR MAN FLINT - Jerry Goldsmith

I hope it's not too long before the original, rerecorded and far superior releases of this and IN LIKE FLINT are put out by some label ( Varese? Intrada? ), both albums would fit nicely on one CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Some of them were ( the Dam burst was awful ) but a lot of it is up there with the best of that time.

I don't care dingly-squat about FX. It's just an excellent DRAMA, just top quality storytelling from beginning to end. Lots of self-sufficient setpieces and narratives within the overal narrative, which I always love.
    I am extremely serious.