• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2012
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Howard Shore - Hugo

A very warm and good score for a Scorsese masterpiece. The movie is fantastic, simply fantastic.

Yes! It really is.
  1. I just wrapped the review for my Polish website.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. There Be Dragons: Secretos de Pasión - Robert Folk

As I mentioned elsewhere, this already could be one of the best scores of 2012. The more of this I listen to this score by Folk the more I am loving it. A grand, rousing title theme leads into a great orchestral score with solid supporting choir that is balanced by some more intimate, Spanish-flavoured acoustic guitar.

I recommend this one to everyone. Get it!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    justin boggan wrote
    Have you heard thsi western theme he did (his son did the rest of the score):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWCdqigB8wY

Thanks for sharing this Justin, hadn't heard it before - how utterly brilliant!

King Kong - John Barry

Nothing too remarkable here, very standard Barry score though not without merit. The tamer string writing is distinctively his of course but far from memorable, especially when stacked against the so many beautiful themes he's written.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    David OC wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Have you heard thsi western theme he did (his son did the rest of the score):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWCdqigB8wY

Thanks for sharing this Justin, hadn't heard it before - how utterly brilliant!

King Kong - John Barry

Nothing too remarkable here, very standard Barry score though not without merit. The tamer string writing is distinctively his of course but far from memorable, especially when stacked against the so many beautiful themes he's written.

I do not approve of this post.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Christ. Neither do I.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    I like it enough, but neither of you can seriously think it's a great score or even close to it, surely?

Forever Young - Jerry Goldsmith

The main theme is far more gorgeous than I remember. I love it - and the action cues are not bad either but too few. The rest is filler, pretty much, and having the expanded LLL disc was a waste really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: W.E. - Abel Korzeniowski

So good. So pretty. It's the "upbeat" version of A Single Man, which I really like. Recommend this score to EVERYONE!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Pleasantville - Randy Newman

A most wonderful slice of Americana. I wish he still scored films.
  3. He's supposed to -- though I've not yet seen confirmation -- be scoring the sequel/prequel film, "Monsters University" for Pixar.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2012
    lp wrote

So good. So pretty. It's the "upbeat" version of A Single Man, which I really like. Recommend this score to EVERYONE!!!

Still listening to this GORGEOUS score. There are some truly hypnotic passages that just embraces you with warm feelings.
  4. NP: The Omega Man - Ron Grainer

I am so glad that FSM re-released this score and made it available to those who had missed out the first time round. I can't really find much fault with Grainer's music. The themes are excellent and the use of the unusual orchestrations up against the funky early '70s sound is such a great sound.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The Rum Diary - Christopher Young

How many cool, jazzy, gorgeous themes can one composer write? Possibly the best of Young's scores delving into this terrain (and Lucky You, Shade, Rounders, The Man Who Knew Too Little etc. are all outstanding). The versatility of this great composer never ceases to stagger me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    lp wrote

Still listening to this GORGEOUS score. There are some truly hypnotic passages that just embraces you with warm feelings.

Agree, agree, agree. My favorite for 2011.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    David OC wrote
    The Rum Diary - Christopher Young

How many cool, jazzy, gorgeous themes can one composer write? Possibly the best of Young's scores delving into this terrain (and Lucky You, Shade, Rounders, The Man Who Knew Too Little etc. are all outstanding). The versatility of this great composer never ceases to stagger me.

Shame too little is used in the movie. On album, this score makes for a complete, very pleasant listening experience. Good music in there.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's lovely.
    In a pinch I prefer his more edgy work on Shade though.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Omega Man - Ron Grainer

I am so glad that FSM re-released this score and made it available to those who had missed out the first time round. I can't really find much fault with Grainer's music. The themes are excellent and the use of the unusual orchestrations up against the funky early '70s sound is such a great sound.

A favourite of mine and a wanted "grail" until FSM finally delivered.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorManwe
    NP: Best Scores of the New Millenium (Erik's latest radio show)

Such a lot of great music in this program! It highlights some of the many scores I have not listened to in some time. Of the fifteen scores featured, I have ten in my collection - but I find, a bit surprised, that much of it feels quite new to me. I have listened to little to these scores lately, that much is clear. So much deserves more playing time - but unfortunately, there are only so many hours in a day.

Anyway, thanks Erik for highlighting these magnificent scores and reminding me of how much great music there is, that I had almost forgotten! smile cheesy biggrin
    - What matters is the music -
    •  
      CommentAuthorManwe
    At the moment, How To Train Your Dragon is playing on Erik's show - and even though I remember that I really liked this score when I got it, I didn't remember that it was this good! Lovely, Mr. Powell! (Even though the "Viking" sound here perhaps incorporates a bit much bagpipes and fiddles of a more Scottish character. Bagpipes aren't really commonplace in Nordic traditional music, even though fiddles are, but they don't sound like this over here... but well - as long as it's this good, I'm not complaining!)
    - What matters is the music -
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Black Gold (James Horner)

probably the best Horner score in 10 years. I even could like it more than AVATAR, since it is more "original" and it doesn't have the four notes danger motive.

Even it reminds me to "four feathers" and "Enemy at the gates" it's more the style than a copy and paste.

"father and son" is really a lovely piece...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Manwe wrote
    NP: Best Scores of the New Millenium (Erik's latest radio show)

Anyway, thanks Erik for highlighting these magnificent scores and reminding me of how much great music there is, that I had almost forgotten! smile cheesy biggrin

My pleasure!

Manwe wrote
    At the moment, How To Train Your Dragon is playing on Erik's show - and even though I remember that I really liked this score when I got it, I didn't remember that it was this good! Lovely, Mr. Powell! (Even though the "Viking" sound here perhaps incorporates a bit much bagpipes and fiddles of a more Scottish character. Bagpipes aren't really commonplace in Nordic traditional music, even though fiddles are, but they don't sound like this over here... but well - as long as it's this good, I'm not complaining!)

I mentioned the follow when Dragon first came out.

"As for the Celtic sound of the film. Berk is mythical island in a mythical place. However, if you want to get in geography you could say that Berk could be located in a Viking conquered section of the British Isles. Maybe some where in the Irish Sea hence the heavy Celtic influence in the film and its score."

Anyway, thanks for tuning in. It's alwasys great to hear feedback from listeners and fans of the show!

-Erik-

PS - The best of 2011 program is now on-line.
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2012 edited
    Nautilus wrote

probably the best Horner score in 10 years. I even could like it more than AVATAR, since it is more "original"

lol

Nautilus wrote
    and it doesn't have the four notes danger motive.

Actually, it does.

Nautilus wrote
    Even it reminds me to "four feathers" and "Enemy at the gates" it's more the style than a copy and paste.

So much for originality. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Nautilus wrote

probably the best Horner score in 10 years. I even could like it more than AVATAR, since it is more "original" and it doesn't have the four notes danger motive.

Listening to the clips for Black Gold and it is all a bit of a sleep-inducing experience. Aren't clips meant to showcase a score? Or is it all like this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Listening to the clips for Black Gold and it is all a bit of a sleep-inducing experience. Aren't clips meant to showcase a score? Or is it all like this?

It is what it is... a James Horner score. It develops throughout, the themes actually go places, there is an incredible musical architecture which very few current film composers could comprehend. Whether that can be represented by clips, I've no idea. Clearly it isn't for everyone (Erik has made that clear) but I think it is without doubt one of my own favourites (by Horner) of the last few years. I've listened to it daily for over a week now. The last film score that I did that with? It's so long ago I can't remember.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You had me at "...a James Horner score."
  6. This is a good example of a score that gains fans from having been seen in the film? Clips obviously don't give that sense of development.

If you are not a Horner fan (fans may blind buy) it may be a hard sell without having seen it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I guess. No more than most film scores though, I'd have thought? I've never found clips to be a reliable indicator of how much I'll like an album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    W.E. - Abel Korzeniowski

My favorite score of 2011.

The romantic version of A Single Man.

love love love
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    To James: Really? Things would be so much cheaper if clips were not a reasonable indicator of what I am to find on the album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Cristian wrote
    W.E. - Abel Korzeniowski

My favorite score of 2011.

The romantic version of A Single Man.

love love love

+1 It's so good.