• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2012
    Big Miracle - Cliff Eidelman

I imagine this could be made to sound pretty good through judicious use of clips, but the album isn't really doing it for me. It has its moments (hence the clips comment) but much just passes by with little happening. Album could really do with being 20 minutes shorter.
  1. Ludovic Bource - The Artist

First listen to this beautiful and brilliantly written score. The jazz material is also great.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. John Williams - Black Sunday

One of my favourite works to honour his birthday. My favourite score by Williams is Schindler's List, but it's not really good for a birthday celebration, so why not a thriller masterpiece?
  3. "Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman" (score promo)

William Olvis' music for the series is some of TV's finest. I've tried to explain the music before, but it's a lush, sophisticated orchestral style that hints at things like Barry's works, or the lighter soft stuff heard a few times on "Firefly" (for the old time-y feel), with good dashes of Americana.

Perhaps I will write a review for another website.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. Why not here?

What made you quit reviewing here, Justin?
  5. Not worth repeating.

Maybe I'll make a suite of three or four cues, so you guys can hear it.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2012
    Manwe wrote

Manwe! Haven't seen you here in a while cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Cristian wrote
    W.E. - Abel Korzeniowski

My favorite score of 2011.

The romantic version of A Single Man.

love love love

And a more passionate version of Single man smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Ludovic Bource - The Artist

First listen to this beautiful and brilliantly written score. The jazz material is also great.

Wait 'till you see it in context, the movie is fabulous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    The Twilight Saga - Breaking Dawn Part 1 (Carter Burwell)

Kudos to Burwell to deliver this score for such a terrible film. Sometimes I wonder where do composers find the inspiration when they get this kind of material.

And yes, I've watched the four Twilight movies....and I've (hardly) survived. The last one was tough though. It makes the third one look like a piece of art.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  6. Marselus wrote

Kudos to Burwell to deliver this score for such a terrible film. Sometimes I wonder where do composers find the inspiration when they get this kind of material.

And yes, I've watched the four Twilight movies....and I've (hardly) survived. The last one was tough though. It makes the third one look like a piece of art.

I've only seen the first film (decent but nothing more), don't think I'll check out the other ones
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2012 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

I've only seen the first film (decent but nothing more), don't think I'll check out the other ones

The third film is the only one which isn't pain inducing. It's pretty decent actually. The endings of parts two and four have to be seen to be believed.
  7. Marselus wrote

The last book is even more terrible (I know the plot, but I never going to read o watch those craps). A lot of movies deserved more the kind of score that Burwell, Desplat and Shore did for Craplight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    yonythemoony wrote
    Marselus wrote

The last book is even more terrible

Can't wait!

yonythemoony wrote
    Craplight.

applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote

Desplat DesplatDesplat DesplatDesplat DesplatDesplat DesplatDesplat DesplatDesplat DesplatDesplat DesplatDesplat DesplatDesplat DesplatDesplat DesplatDesplat DesplatDesplat DesplatDesplat Desplat
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Desplat's score is the only thing I've managed to enjoy out of the whole Twilight saga. Wonderful theme and typically excellent action music from Desplat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Excellent, thematically inspired and deeply melodic. It's indeed far more than what the crappy gaylight thingy ever deserved. The other 2 composers working on the saga from time to time obviously realized it and didn't care that much; bored and uninspired but wouldn't blame them. I wonder where Desplat drew his inspirations from.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's very easy to feel for lesser material when it's your job to. I don't mean in terms of money, but having been asked to score the odd piece of crap while I was at uni, I can say that I saw it as a challenge rather than the project somehow being below me.

If I can improve the film in any way through music (I can assure you I didn't), regardless of the artistic merit of the film itself, then that is a worthy task!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2012
    Marselus wrote

You've watched all four? shocked

So you didn't fancy water boarding, hanging, death by a thousand knives etc???
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthoreniat
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Young's score is one of the best of the year for me and I really like Lockington's score a lot.

Agree on both accounts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Marselus wrote

So you didn't fancy water boarding, hanging, death by a thousand knives etc???

That's why Marcel's tits looked curvier in the recent Ghent photos.
  8. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorManwe
    Listening to Erik's Best of 2011 show and I am at the moment in the middle of the Tintin portion. Indeed there is no grand theme that stands out here, but such energy there is in this music! That really is the work of master, when interest is kept at high level like this mainly by the sheer structure of the music. Lovely, and looking forward to hearing the whole album! (When I get around to ordering it...)
    - What matters is the music -
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think the only problem with the Tintin score is there's no grand suite of themes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Manwe wrote
    Listening to Erik's Best of 2011 show and I am at the moment in the middle of the Tintin portion. Indeed there is no grand theme that stands out here, but such energy there is in this music! That really is the work of master, when interest is kept at high level like this mainly by the sheer structure of the music. Lovely, and looking forward to hearing the whole album! (When I get around to ordering it...)

In the movie it was absolutely breathtaking, how busy and complex the music was but most importantly, it has an amazing constant and flow. Truly the work of someone who knows his craft wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorManwe
    Reached the Soul Surfer segment of the program now... and judging by Erik's suite this is nothing short of magnificent. I am enjoying the lighter moments, the "ethnic" components and the very well crafted orchestrations immensely. Deeply moved. Indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorManwe
    Listening to the clips from Back to Gaya - will purchase it very soon. It is quite incredible how much this moves me. As some of you might remember I am quite partial to Kamen's music, and this, it's like a voice from heaven! First time I heard the strains of the main title, it almost brought tears to my eyes... I was certain I would never hear a new Kamen score again, but here it is! Can't wait to hear the whole CD.

Thanks Mikael for releasing! (And thanks Michael for composing!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Marselus wrote

Yes.....and no gayish symptoms....yet (still one more film to go).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You GO, girl!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Manwe wrote
    Reached the Soul Surfer segment of the program now... and judging by Erik's suite this is nothing short of magnificent. I am enjoying the lighter moments, the "ethnic" components and the very well crafted orchestrations immensely. Deeply moved. Indeed.

Thanks for tuning in, Adam! Glad you enjoyed the show!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!