• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2011
    Always interesting to learn more about our fellow members.

I'll chime in later with my own take, but what were some of the subjects that you liked or at least did well in in school (primary/secondary/high school)?

Vice versa, were there any subjects you didn't do well in or hated?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Heh! That came out of left field!!!

Well, it's been a while.
    A long, LONG while, truth be told.

But back in the day (and mind you, that was all still in black and white, and running on steam) I absolutely couldn't wrap my head around math. I thoroughly hated it.
    Physics and chemistry I simply found not very interesting.

I loved (and have always loved since) all languages, extinct or otherwise. And history.

Interestingly for several studies which I started (not all of which I finished...) a math degree was obligatory.
    So years later I got to do some exam level math tests after all.
    Did pretty well as well, and actually was a bit of a star at statistics.
    dizzy

Still don't like it though.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'll come back to this thread but in the meantime here's a little story...

I remember being in the science class sat at tables set up with plug sockets and gas taps ready for experiments, on one particular day we were paired off and each pair were given a large battery ( I can't remember what the experiment was now ), I took the wires from the battery, stuff them in the socket and threw the switch explode, my best friend at school, Hardev, who as a Sikh was wearing metal baggles was thrown to the floor, the teacher, Mr Tringham, the most mild mannered and lovely teacher at the school, a man who never raised his voice completely exploded on me, calling me "YOU FUCKING STUPID STUPID BOY!!!!" ( I thought at the time that this was more shocking than what I had just done ), luckily Hardev wasn't hurt, I wasn't hurt and I was lucky not to get expelled.

I certainly learned a lesson that day.

After this incident Hardev, who was as big a Marvel comics fan as I was called me Electro.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I did well in Music and hated Latin
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    After this incident Hardev, who was as big a Marvel comics fan as I was called me Electro.

MWAHAHAAAAAA! applause
    Excellent!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I loved languages (both domestic and foreign), English literature and history.

But I was good at maths, so that's what I did at university and it's what got me my career (which I can't complain about).

Part of me wonders how things would have turned out if I had done English instead and followed my dream of being a writer of some sort (a journalist is what I wanted to be while growing up - these days I still dream of writing a novel).
  1. Favorite: Polish literature/language, history, languages (English and, to my own shock, German)

Least favorite: Math (I almost failed math in the first class of high school), if I liked it I'd go into IT probably.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I don't want to derail Thor's thread but I'd much rather hear your tales of school days rather than lists of subjects studied.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I can imagine.
    Unfortunately there's not much to tell.

Not my happiest days.
    Well. At least I got out alive. wink
  2. I most enjoyed biology at high school - ah, Mrs McMorrin! kiss

The sciences in general were what I enjoyed most - though I didn't really understand a lot of the ideas in physics. In science I much preferred the theory rather than the practicals; which is funny as I spent many of my years working in laboratories!

My best subject (in terms of grades) was geography. I wanted the subject to be about learning lists of things: capital cities of countries, highest mountains, etc. That was "Traditional Geography". But the examination board had just introduced "Alternative Geography" - and that was learning about new towns, and (of all things) vitamin deficiencies! But I still did well in it.

Although I was good at maths, it was the emphasis on maths (and physics) in astronomy that put me off doing that at university. I think that astronomy would have been my "alternate path". (Though after years of watching Time Team I think that I would have enjoyed archeology).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Southall wrote
    I loved languages (both domestic and foreign), English literature and history.

But I was good at maths, so that's what I did at university and it's what got me my career (which I can't complain about).

Part of me wonders how things would have turned out if I had done English instead and followed my dream of being a writer of some sort (a journalist is what I wanted to be while growing up - these days I still dream of writing a novel).

Live in a van down by the river?
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2011
    Nice topic Thor! smile

In school I was good at drawing. And languages. I graduated on Dutch, English, Greek, Latin, Art, Geography, Math and.... that was it I guess? I don't remember how many subjects there were. Before graduating I also took music but we couldn't graduate on that at my school.

You have to decide which way to go very early, so I chose the language and art kind of subjects. I do remember liking physics a lot. I was also good at math that goes with physics. But because of my other subjects I had to drop that kind of math and go for the math that does statistics and probability. I hated that.

It's funny how preferences change a bit. Because of my life view education I started getting more interested in philosophy and from philosophy I started to get more interested in physics and math again and in science in general. Today I am more interested in those subjects than in languages and art.

A weird thing in my job is I teach life view education. Religion is part of that but I so much prefer the philosophy side of life view and ethics and 'Bildung' and things like that. I really don't enjoy studying about different life views and religions that much, except when it's about personal experiences.

What I definitely like the least now is history and politics and economy. Bleeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...... sleep
    Which is weird, the history part, because history teachers are my direct colleagues, we are in the same department in school: history, philosophy, sociology and life view. So there is a connection.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    I don't want to derail Thor's thread but I'd much rather hear your tales of school days rather than lists of subjects studied.

I think it can tell a lot about a person what he or she liked and didn't like in school. But there's no reason why there can't be room for both.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2011 edited
    I was quite good in school, but not really because I was an ardent student. I hardly did homework. I did, however, decode the "system" (read hard on tests, raised my hand in appropriate moments), and that gave results.

I always disliked natural sciences (chemistry, physics, maths, biology), but did OK. I HATED maths, though, almost to a traumatic extent. Which was a source of frustration to my father, who was -- and still is -- a teacher in those exact subjects at the same high school I went to.

I was a language guy (English, French, German) and moderately interested in human sciences (religion, psychology, some civics) as well as Norwegian. I loved to write fiction (I have two teenage novels stored in my parents' attic somewhere), and was again frustrated when I started high school and there was no fiction to be written -- only non-fiction. The closest was analyses of poems, short stories etc. That wasn't good enough.

It would be interesting to hear how people feel about physical education? It's not usually something you assoicate with nerds like us. I was never among the best in my class, but more in the "second best" group. I loved ball games of various sorts, but hated more alternative things like folk dance or orienteering or whatever else they managed to think of. Didn't particularly care for jogging either. And a gym studio is one of the most boring things I can think of -- even to this day.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor wrote
    It would be interesting to hear how people feel about physical education? It's not usually something you assoicate with nerds like us. I was never among the best in my class, but more in the "second best" group. I loved ball games of various sorts, but hated more alternative things like folk dance or orienteering or whatever else they managed to think of. Didn't particularly care for jogging either. And a gym studio is one of the most boring things I can think of -- even to this day.

Funnily, Anne and I were just talking about P.E. this evening. At high school my game was table tennis. I started it when I went to high school, joined the school's table tennis club (that would meet after school 1-2 times a week), would set up a table in the assembly hall at lunchtime and would play EVERY lunchtime for 30-40 minutes and would also play as much as I would at the school's youth club (when schools used to do youth clubs). The school had 3 teams (of 3 players) in the local county school league and we started off in the 3rd league (and in handicap competitions I would have a handicap of 18-19 (you had to get to 21 to win a game in those days!)). By the time I left school I had moved up to the 1st team and had a handicap of 1-2 - so I was quite good! Unfortunately, I didn't have the opportunity to keep the sport going when I went to university.

Other sports I did that I did well enough to get into the school team was basketball and athletics. I was never very good at basketball but I loved playing it: I never progressed from being a sub. In athletics I was a sprinter (100 m, 200 m & relay) and anything over 400 m was long-distance.

Sports I hated? Swimming. Still hate the smell of swimming pools and chlorine. I was glad to get the chance of a second language (I ended up doing both French and German for a time) because that meant that I missed swimming.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Sports I hated? Swimming. Still hate the smell of swimming pools and chlorine.

The good thing about swimming is you don't feel the sweat!
    I hate the feeling of getting very warm and sweaty while doing sports.
    So swimming can be nice. Also a relaxing feeling in the water, feeling a bit weightless.

I absolutely hate running. I hate that feeling each time your feet hit the ground while running.
    I like just taking a walk though or cycle a bit.

I did not hate physical education in school, at least not as much as the girls who tried to avoid it with all kinds of excuses. I enjoyed the lessons where we did fun things, like spear or discus throwing (you know, the sports that don't make you sweat), also badminton was a lot of fun.

I hated the gymnastics (?) lessons, because I was afraid doing all of those jumping things and saltos and stuff.

Hated dodgeball, people throwing balls at you as hard as they can... who invented that???
    I hate hockey. Stick too short, my back hurts, ball is too hard, people hit your ankles with their sticks, brrr....

Sports I did in my own time were Jiu Jitsu (till age 14 I guess). Then I did volleyball with my friends from high school. When I was 15 I quit. Funny enough last week there was a volleyball game at the school where I work for teachers and other employees. That was fun! It had been years since I played volleyball and I enjoyed it. The next day I couldn't move, all my muscles were hurting of course, but it was fun.

Generally speaking, I really don't like sports, the only way I enjoy moving is dancing.
    So later on as an adult I tried things like aerobics, Zumba and now belly dance.

And of course yoga. Which is not a sport really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2011 edited
    Hated PE with a passion.
    Never was any good at it at all (but I'm sure my less than constructive attitude towards it didn't help any).

Yet I am now in better shape and condition then many of my contemporaries.
    That often is a small Moment of Gloat for me.

That said, I often look back and regret I didn't put in more of an effort.
    I think in the best cases PE may add great value to your selfworth and simply feeling OK and at ease in/with your own body.

Bu yeah. 20/20 hindsight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2013
    We've got some new members since I posted this, so time for a bump.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. I hated sports, because I am utterly untalanted when it comes to sportive activities. It requires my full attention to walk down the stairs freehand. I was always a bit afraid of water. I do swim, but I like doing it in the early morning when I am almost alone in the pool, so that I can do my lanes undisturbed. But I hated school swimming.

I also hated mathematics because I never understood a damn thing. It was a bit better with applied mathematics in science education.

I always loved languages, philosophic and religous education, arts, music, political studies and history.

I had bad and good teachers, little in between.

I experianced a serious, puberty infused crisis that forced me to repeat the 7th grade, when finally in 8th grade my marks were so bad I almost had to leave grammar school had not the advocacy of some of my teachers saved me. This experiance is a major reason for me being a teacher myself today.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I wanted to reply but then I saw I already did in November 2011.
    And the answer is still the same.

I hate economics, politics, history.
    I love languages.
    And I wasn't a physics / biology / math girl but I am more now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    odd but I enjoyed algebra but didn't like geometry. I also didn't care for Latin and had 3 years of it. History and music were my favorite subjects.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSarah
    I LOVED maths! It helped that i was pretty good at it. Too bad I had a major falling out with my teacher in A-level maths as I probably would have followed a career in it. angry

I was good at ARt and really enjoyed it but I soon realised it all became about 'meaning'. As my Art School tutor put it "You have to learn to spill out the Artistic bullshit if you want to make it as an artist" cool

And I hated music.
    "Class is having lunch with the homeless and dinner with the Queen."
    •  
      CommentAuthorSarah
    Timmer wrote
    I'll come back to this thread but in the meantime here's a little story...

I remember being in the science class sat at tables set up with plug sockets and gas taps ready for experiments, on one particular day we were paired off and each pair were given a large battery ( I can't remember what the experiment was now ), I took the wires from the battery, stuff them in the socket and threw the switch explode, my best friend at school, Hardev, who as a Sikh was wearing metal baggles was thrown to the floor, the teacher, Mr Tringham, the most mild mannered and lovely teacher at the school, a man who never raised his voice completely exploded on me, calling me "YOU FUCKING STUPID STUPID BOY!!!!" ( I thought at the time that this was more shocking than what I had just done ), luckily Hardev wasn't hurt, I wasn't hurt and I was lucky not to get expelled.

I certainly learned a lesson that day.

applause More stories!
    "Class is having lunch with the homeless and dinner with the Queen."
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2021
    This is another 'evergreen' topic, in case someone didn't repy the first time around. Obviously, my own "story" hasn't changed much since the earlier 2011 post.
    I am extremely serious.