• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorjames
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2011
    Does anyone know the name of a possibly BBC paranormal series from the 1990's which featured one segment where a guy in prison would meditate to reduce his consciousness to the point where he could leave the prison as a ghost and haunt people on the outside? He does this until he's found buy the prison guards and, assumed dead, he wakes up buried in a coffin? I think the series ran possibly on sunday evenings in the early/mid nineties.

Also, does anyone know the name of a again possibly BBC series in which a teenage girl is haunted by the vision of a ghostly soldier, possible set on a coastal area with scenes in a lighthouse?

Bit vague the last one I know but would love to find out what these things were. Cheers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The ghostly soldier could be an episode from Sapphire & Steel (but that took place on a deserted train station. VERY erie episode, by the way). All the rest doesn''t really ring a bell...sorry. (Shame. Sounds like something I'd enjoy a lot! smile )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Hmmm....no, I'm afraid none of those ring a bell with me either.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Being the most superstitious, God-fearing person on this forum I was rather hoping I could help. But alas I have not heard of either.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    The ghostly soldier could be an episode from Sapphire & Steel (but that took place on a deserted train station. VERY erie episode, by the way). All the rest doesn''t really ring a bell...sorry. (Shame. Sounds like something I'd enjoy a lot! smile )

That was early 1980's though.

It rings a big bell James, I'll have a think on this.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorjames
    Thanks guys.
    I can add that I think the protagonist in the prison thing was completely bald (as in shaved head) and I think he wore tracksuits. I think the series was maybe a four part thing with each part doing a different subject. Was it called 'Ghosts' by any chance???
    Cheers
  1. Add to the list a short lived series called "Tucker's Witch"; I stumbled upon this by accident while looking into Shirley Walker's passed scoring; it wasn't in her IMDB, so I searched and luckily enough all episodes, sans the unaired pilot (with a different female lead, according to online reviews), were on YouTube.

Nearly done with the first episode and it's quite enjoyable. It's nicely written, acted rather well, and delightful at times.

Centering around a couple and their cat, Tucker's wife, Amanda is a witch with psychic powers who helps solve crimes, evne for the police department. Her cat witnesses things and she reads the cat's mind. A cute furry cat which walks around in the opening credits. A cute siamese with blue eyes. And as we all know, cats rule.

Their relationship is believable and the chemistry between the two leads works.

The show is rather positive in nature, and it seems every episode ended up with the Tucker's in bed, kissing good night.

COMPOSERS:

There were 12 episodes, not counting the unaired pilot (which I couldn't find a copy of, so I can't comment on the composer for it), and four composers.

J.A.C. Redford scored one episode, Shirley Walker scored one episode, and Brad Fiedel scored the rest. The finale two episodes were co-composed with Fiedel and a symphony composers who appars to have no other scoring credits: George Kahn.

The scoring is abosolutely wonderful. ORchestral based, playful, dark when needed. Almost like a modern Henry Mancini; not at all what I was expecting based on what little I've heard of Fiedel.

The main title excellent and easily and instantly memorable - a new personal favorite.

(YouTube link)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Watched the episode with Walker's score. The weakest effort in the show so far -- surprising. Minimal, as in amount, dialed down far too much, and I'm not sure what she was thinking by her approach.

Top notch work the previous five Fiedel scores, though. Next episode, #7 -- J.A.C. Redford's effort.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. I finished off the series the other day. J.A.C. Redford's score was good. Fiedel's scoring for the rest of the series, good. There was this odd synth cue, which matched a song later in an episode. IT was interesting, but out of place amongst the rest of the orchestral scoring.

Series was overall very well done, as I said originally after having seen only a few episodes. It was disappointing that there was only just regular episode as the series finale, but I guess it was never really heading anywhere, though her powers were getting stronger. Maybe they thought it might get a second season, maybe they didn't feel the need for a major ending, who knows.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2011
    justin is quite the tv expert
    listen to more classical music!
  4. sdtom wrote
    justin is quite the tv expert

"It's a bird!"
    "It's a plane!"
    "It's the number of people who don't like "The Darkest Hour" score!"

No, it's ... Grammer Nazi!!!"

(Theme: DA DA DA DUH!)

"Hello, fellow posters! Today's person of interest has brought in my fellow mate from League of Interwebs Justice, the Punctuation Bastard!"

Posters: "YA!!!"

"You see, there are some errors with sdtom's comment. Normally I might say "sentence', but there was no punctuation--"

Punctuation Bastard: "Oh, my God, yes!"

"Calm down, Bastard, I got this. Proper names of persons, like 'Justin', are capitalized, and it goes without saying they are when starting a sentence. Abbreviations, such as ones for television, would also be capitalized. Unless of course he meant the lower case 'tv' which the youth use as an abbreviation for transvestite. But he may know more about that than I would.

Here, Bastard, you can take over. I know you want to."

Punctuation Bastard: "Oh, my God, yes! The sentence is not complete! There is no ending punctuation! He didn't finish!"

"Calm down, and don't read Twitter whatever you do. Finally, we are left with one last act wherein the comment, taking for a moment he clearly meant for it to end with a period, is still an incomplete sentence or it might be more precise to say a fragment."

Posters: "Thanks, Grammer Nazi!"

"No, thank you for the continued opportunities!"

Punctuation Bastard: "Oh, my God!"

"And you, Punctuation Bastard! How could we forget you? Until next time, bemused interwebs citizenry!
    Grammer Nazi ... AWAAAYYY!!!"

(End theme: DA DUM DA DA DUM, DA DAAAAHHHH!!! DOOM!)