• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Mystery Score Clip 51

We're going back a few decades. Actually, over 50 years. I'll go ahead and say it's a western, since it'll be obvious from the FX.

The two composers, were not credited (but the music supervisor got prominent credit display).

The score is a big work that's a wonderful combination of spanish guitar, big orchestra sounds, and quite frankly, some writing here and there I would expect from a film from the '80's.

The score has not been released. Both composers are not longer with us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nzTiXCwsZg
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2013 edited
    MS51, to my ears, seems as if it is a solo effort by Hugo Friedhofer.

Friedhofer was known, though, to assist other people with orchestrations on an un-credited basis, so the other composer could be a guy such as Earle Hagan or David Raksin or even Alfred Newman himself.

If this IS from a Fox Western, then I suspect that Lionel Newman would be the music supervisor who got the credit - but is it Fox & is it from a film or TV?

Sounds to me like a film, but the running time of the YouTube clip (like 18 minutes) could also be from an hour television program?

Either way, I'm stumpted as to what the title can be. Both Friedhofer's uncredited & credited items from IMDB don't seem to jive with sound of the source material, which I'm guessing is late 1950s.

[By the way, to say a score sounds like an 1980s movie would be taken as an insult by me. wink
    Does justin boggan consider film music from the 1980s as the "home base" from which scores from other decades are to be assessed?]
  2. Nope, none of the two composers have been mentioned. Though knowing how there were undeed uncredited efforts, even when just one cue, on older films like these, I don't think either of us can say for sure. BMI shows nothing.

Nope, not Lionel Newman (for the music supervisor).

Not FOX. I should have been more clear -- it's a film. Not a TV series or TV movie. The total running time of the clips doesn't reflect how much score are in the myster clips I provide; I typically aim for the most SFX free cues, the more interesting cues (since I used to have a limit of 15:30 on videos, now it's 20:30), and some longer films are sparsly scored -- like some weed balls blowin' across that there ground.

And yes -- late 1950's.

The two composers are both famous, more specifically during the decades before and after (some early 1930's work, yes).

Both composers did their fair share of westerns, too.

As per the 1980's, a lot of scores has this modern sound during that that decade; and this sound I found ever so breifly in small parts, in this 1950's score. Sort of how every once in a while, the bluest of moons, you might get a modern score that has some throwbacks to the lush scores of several decades ago. Added bracket -->]
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2013
    Since it's not Friedhofer, then I'm out of guesses at this time.

Except that once we know the studio, we can guess who received onscreen credit.
    If this was produced, for example, by Universal, then Joseph Gershenson would be the man to get the credit.
    So the only thing I'm thinking of now is perhaps MSC51 is from Columbia Pictures and Morris Stoloff receives credit. Maybe one of the composers is George Duning (who started in the 1930s) ... but who is the other composer? Can't quite place it.
  3. I won't drag it on forever, so I will give what I are probably the final clues, before the reveal, and then moving on to the next mystery clip from the 1980's.

Though you weren't stricly making a guess, you nailed the supervisor; he is indeed Joseph Gershenson, and that would indeed make it Universal.

But still not hte composer. I will say that the two composers, have worked together on a number of films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2013
    Ah - since it's Universal, I'm aware that Henry Mancini wrote lots of music without credit as one of Universal's in-house staff composers under contract.

Perhaps this is a flick like FOUR GUNS TO THE BORDER, on which Mancini worked with 3 other "S" composers (Hans J. Salter & Frank Skinner & Herman Stein).

One or two of those names might turn out to be the answer?
  4. I've finally stumped cobweb on an older score. One e-cokie for me. ;-)

Reveal.

The year is 1958, the film is "The Last of the Fast Guns".

The film centers around one of the last fast guns in the west whom is hired by a business man to find his brother, as the business man isn't long for the world and doesn't want to leave it to his partner. All he has to go on is a post card from Mexico.

There are some conviniences with the plot, but other than that it's a rather decent film.

The lead, actor Jock Mahoney (the fast gun), is wooden, and does a subpar acting job. His lines are delivered like he's never read a script before and is on stage in a melodrama, and doesn't do a good job at being belivable emotionally a number of times. But he holds it together enough as to not make a total shambles of it.

The score is by Hans J. Salter and Herman Stein. I went around for some extra verification and to see if I could find any stock music composers, since none were on IMDb, but I didn't find any more composers.
  5. Mystery Score Clip 52

We're approaching the anniversary date of the composer's passing and I thought a mystery clip of one of his unreleased scores would be nice.

We're in the 1980's, with one of the first dozen films the composer ever scored. The suite probably represents about 93% of the score from the film. The song, done with the composer, is not included in the clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCxc4lM_1us
  6. Reveal.

In a few days we'll be coming up on the anniversary of the passing of Joel Goldsmith.

This score is from a mediocre film called "Bonzai Runner".

The film centers around a dad taking care of his son, after the death of his father because of a "runner" -- some person with a lot of money who buys a car that's going over 150 MPH down the roads at night.

The film's a skipper. If you're up at three in the morning, tired, just flipping the channels and find it, hey -- you've found something to put you to sleep!
  7. Mystery Score Clip 53

We're going back a few decades to a TV movie that has not been released on VHS or DVD. The composer is a very famous award winning composer whom is still with us, though not scoring very much these days. The score has not been released (I also see no promo's or boot's).

This TV movie is based on a real life incident.

Yes! It is here!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-Tz3tzPAXA
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2013
    Sounds as though MSC53 could be from the early 1970s.

Of the living composers who are not currently scoring films & TV, none of them particulary come to my mind from the style of music in this clip.

A wild guess: is this by Dominic Frontiere?
  8. Right decade, wrong part -- it's the late '70's.

I said not scoring much, which means still doing something once in a while. Frontinere, as far as I know, hasn't scored anything is two decades.

The person the movie is basd around, is still alive today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2013 edited
    The description of the composer immediately suggested David Shire to me and this led me to a 1978 TV movie, The Defection of Simas Kudirka (admittedly, I did just look through Shire's imdb.com list for the late seventies).

A nice find Justin: I thought that the score sounded interesting.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  9. Wow -- somebody else other than cobweb won! Nicely done, FalkirkBairn. One delicious freshly-baked e-cookie for you.

The TV movie is quite enjoyable and handled fairly well. Since it's not been on DVD or VHS, you'll have to catch it on Youtube.
  10. Mystery Score Clip 54

A big, robust, lush, old fashioned score. Doubtless somebody here will know it. The composer isn't that well known, and surprisingly -- given the quality of work here -- has almost no scoring credits.

There's been no full release of the score and other work in the film, though it was isolated on one of the DVD region releases. Perhaps one day this will be rectified.

Enjoy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfYhXuzBFY8
  11. No idea what this one could be, but it sounds like it should be featuring songs as well as a score in the film?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  12. Yes, there are songs in the film, though I did not include any. At the end of one of the cues, it started to blend with a song, but I faded it out just as it started.

The direector did another well known musical.
  13. One more clue before the reveal tonight. By the way, the next mystery clips (two suites this time), is a real beast of a score.

Clue:
    While the composer hasn't done much, the conductor, however, is a very famous film composer.
  14. The initial melody sounds quite familiar (or it reminds me of something else that I know). But all I can come up with is a guess of the conductor of Alfred Newman (because of his copious amounts of conducting).
  15. Reveal.

You were spot on -- the conductor is Alfred Newman (also music supervisor). The film is "Camelot".

Because of Frederick Loewe's involvement in the music, he's credited twice in the opening credits; once for the music from the original musical, and then again for the score in the film.

The film is quite enjoyable, if you can tolerate the musical numbers.

It'll be ten or so minutes before the next clips are up.
  16. Mystery Score Clip 55

The composer isn't very well known, unless you are a fan of some of the well-known and popular TV series he worked on, which is the bulk of his work. He did some some TV movies, and a handful of films, but none ever achieved any known status. The composer is no longer with us. He also has no releases; no LP's, no Cd's, no known promos or boots. He's fallen to the wayside of musical history.

I think some of the SFX will give you a general idea of what you are dealing with, in this TV movie.

Part 1:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_mDioMdT84

Part 2:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LRlXRuUgMA
  17. Nobody guessed. Oh well. Reveal time.

The film is "Snowbeast", a mediocre film about an older-looking sasquatch that apparently woke up one morning and deided it wanted to kill people skiing in the area, during a festival no less. No, not any other time in it's life, just then. And no, it doesn't eat them, it apparently kills out of snow rage, then drags the bodies off to a cabin people already use.

The climax of the film involved one of the leads shooting the sasquatch a couple times while it wakks toward him (we only see very, very breif views of it), then sticking a snow ski in it, so it screams, then falls down a slope and dies. Thrilling, I know.

The score is by Robert Prince.
  18. justin boggan wrote
    Nobody guessed. Oh well. Reveal time.

What did you expect? It's an obscure 35-year-old TV movie. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2013
    Indeed. We've been trying to convince Justin to do more 'doable' quizzes so that more people could participate, but that doesn't seem to be his thing.
    I am extremely serious.
  19. Mystery Score Clip 56

An obscure hour-long TV movie by a well known film composer. Not on CD, and the film hasn't been on VHS or DVD (that I know of). It's also coincidently missing from his IMDb credits, though I submitted it a few hours ago.

The composer received some praise recently for a score he did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6rzYyHwLug
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2013
    justin boggan wrote
    Nobody guessed. Oh well. Reveal time.

The film is "Snowbeast", a mediocre film about an older-looking sasquatch that apparently woke up one morning and deided it wanted to kill people skiing in the area, during a festival no less. No, not any other time in it's life, just then. And no, it doesn't eat them, it apparently kills out of snow rage, then drags the bodies off to a cabin people already use.

The climax of the film involved one of the leads shooting the sasquatch a couple times while it wakks toward him (we only see very, very breif views of it), then sticking a snow ski in it, so it screams, then falls down a slope and dies. Thrilling, I know.

The score is by Robert Prince.

who?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2013
    Is MSC 56 from the late 1970s or early 1980s?
  20. Mid 1980's.

None of the actors look familiar to me, except one famous person (non actor) whom appeared as himself in it.

The director has worked on a number of famous and well-known TV shows.
  21. I don't think we can expect anymore guesses, so one final revealing clue:

This was part of a Disney anthology series which sometimes had original stuff, like this, or edited versions of earlier films they did.

Later today the next score clip go up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2013 edited
    Hhmmm - from the mid-1980s onward, my interest in film & TV music dwindles - so no particular composer comes to my mind (especially a composer who wrote for Disney TV in the '80s AND has had a relatively recent acclaimed soundtrack...)