• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Mystery Score Clip 62

A nice soft and emotional score from a TV movie not too far back. The score and TV movie are both unreleased. Thankfully most of the score recieved special treatment and little to no dialogue was over it. Sadly the end credits are cut off.

The composer has worked on some famous TV series, though he's also a film composer. You'd know the name if you saw it. He's still alive and composing.

The TV movie, while well acted and done, is so morally corrupt I can't wait to tear it a new one once the reveal comes around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhWwtu8pR9Y
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Well, time for the reveal.

This is from a 1984 TV movie called "Something About Amelia".

Things seem a little off in the Bennett household and their young daughter isn't quite right. The mother comes home to find the school conselor in her living room with her daughter. Apparently daddy has been having sex with her.

The daugher is taken from the home and the marriage becomes strained, with the father shocked by the whole thing, and her little sister wonder what's going on.

The mother doesn't believe it, the father is pretending to be surprised by all it, and the daugher ends up talking to someone saying he's done is multiple times over the recent years.

Okay, so how does this turn out? Well, turns out he was fucking her. I want to cut to the chase immediately so I can start ripping this movie a new one.

You see, you might expect from a movie with this subject, that the mother leaves the dad, the dad is arrested on sexual assault with a minor and a myriad of other charges, and we'd be trying to get proof about it and a confession from the dad. Right? Right?

NO.

The end of the film says it plays out the emotional situation with psychologists, for dramatic affect. That should tell you where this is going.

So, instead of this sick bastard going to jail and getting raped by prisoners when he drops the soap, he winds up scott free. You see, he never goes to jail. Nope!

He goes to see a shrink and never admits to raping his daughter until the end of the film when he apologizes to her.

"Oh, Justin, can this get worse?"

Yes!

His wife won't leave him! She acts like maybe he abused her a few times, like it was no big deal. And then she starts blaming herslef. And you know why? Get ready for: a conselor tells her sometimes guys like dear ol' rapin' dad, often don't do this for power or sexual pleasure, but intimacy and that was wanted to be close to his daughter from a lack of closeness in his life, which is strongly implied being lacked from her, the wife. He denies this when she asks him, but it's obvious. And she starts blaming herself for him raping his daugher. Multiple times.

"Good God, Justin! Surely it can't get worse than that!"

You're sadly mistaken.

Dear old rapin' dad joins his wife in therapy to work through their issues. Oh, and then their daughter comes in, so he can work through his and make amends with her.

Let's back this mind fuck train the fuck back up for a minute and let you know it actually got worse earlier. I know -- no small task.

The daughter is being consoled seperately and she doesn't seem to be all broken up about being raped by daddy. In fact, she didn't hate it, she just "didn't think he should be doing that". Oh, and then she goes on to tell the person that her daddy's not so bad, that if you didn't know that about him, you'd like him, he's actually a great guy. That sometimes sticks his penis in her vagina.

So, how does this FUCKED UP movie end? Well, I already told you he didn't go to jail, she didn't leave him, and he made amends with his daughter (and apparently the state; I guess he really, really, really promised not to fuck his daughter anymore). And they end the movie with the daughter and her little sister chating after gettng back to normal, with her remembering her daddy holding her when she was a baby (thankfully not raping her then either), and singing to her, remembering happy times with her child molesting father.

He's not such a bad father, he only stuck his weiner in her dozens of times somewhere from 11 to 14 years old, finished, and then was nice to her afterwards. What father wouldn't do that, right?
    That. Fucked. Up.

The End.

You think I'm shitting you? Go find the film on Youtube and see for yourself!

What made this even worse was that they wrapped it in up a good script, good acting, and a terrific score. This seems to be a common trend with Hollywood. Take utter lies, garbage, perverted shit, and packaged it up in a well done presentation with award winning performances, and suddenly people excuse it.

The mother was Glenn Close.

The daughter was somebody named Roxana Zal.

And the father was played by Ted Danson.
    The Trivia section on IMDb says Michael Landon ("Little House on the Prarie" fame) was picked to play the father, but nobody would believe it, after playing the good dad in LHotP for so long. Just as well, had he read the script.

The writer of this garbage, has no claims to fame on his IMDb page and it shows he passed away last year.

If you like watching movies about a father who screws his daughter, gets away with it, and they live happily ever after, this morally bereft crapsandwich is just for you. Otherwise, AVOID.

The composer for this unfortunate movie, was Mark Snow. Maybe they should have gotten Fernando Rivas to score it instead.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. Justin, you have no idea how many times, such situations end up just like that. I know people who went through this with the perpetrator never EVER going to jail. I won't divulge into details for obvious reason.

It's not morally corrupt, it's actually more realistic than you want it to believe. A lot of sexual offenders in child abuse get away with what they have done. Morally corrupt maybe? But it's realistic and that's how it mostly happens. The fact that the media only talk about cases that end up in prison doesn't make things so good as the TV seemingly tends to make it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. Mystery Score Clip 63

We're going back a few decades to an obscure film, both film and score unreleased. The composer is not credited. Only about a handful of scoring credits to his name.

I know what you're thinking: "Oh, great, Justin's made another suite of obscure score by somebody we won't know the name of."

I assure you: you KNOW the name. He just decided to make a very famous career for himself elsewhere aside from scoring. You'd have to have been living under a rock to not know his name -- you just didn't know he scored movies for a breif period.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erPkQdUWvgg
  5. "A few decades" isn't too specific.

This is a bit on the jazzy side, so Mancini and Hermann come to mind or Lalo Schifrin. Not exactly abscure names in film music.

Leonard Bernstein? "On the Town"? No, that one was released.

No idea!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  6. The music sounds uncomplicated so I'm wondering if the composer here isn't known as a musician but, rather is more associated with other areas of film-making?

Maybe something from the nineties?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. I thought it sounded much older. 50s was my guess.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  8. Mancini, Hermann and Schifrin did more scoring than for just a "breif period".

Falk, I did say "He just decided to make a very famous career for himself elsewhere aside from scoring."

He's still alive. The scoring is from the 1970's. There were some more dramatic pieces you'd associate with '70's scoring, but there were way too much SFX over them to include.
  9. Yes, you did say that. But I took it that he could have decided on a musical career outside film scoring.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  10. No, no, no career in music.

You'd all better know him as an actor, director, producer, and writer. Though he's not produced/directed anything worth a crap in over a decade.
  11. justin boggan wrote
    No, no, no career in music.

You'd all better know him as an actor, director, producer, and writer. Though he's not produced/directed anything worth a crap in over a decade.

I'll get the ball rolling with Jeffrey Abrams.
  12. No, but that's a good guess. I didn't even think to check his scoring filmography for possible clips.
  13. Reveal.

This is from a 1976 movie called "Death Weekend".

A man takes a woman, a friend of his, to a cabin for the weekend, for who knows what, since she's makes it obvious (after an unwated advance) that she's not interested. Along the way a hotrod with four young white guys, harrasses them down a road. She takes teh wheel and out runs them and causes them to go off the road. The leader of that pack is pissed off, so he goes around asking at stops if anybody knows them.

Okay, this is a crappy movie. Not so much because it's really bad (it's not that bad) but because it's full of pointless turns and seems to be nothing more than about abusing a couple of people. It's like some pissed off guy decided to make a movie. And whom is this director? William Fruet, director of such classics as a bunch of shit that almost nobody has seen.

What kind of shit does this movie offer you? Well, the guy, her "friend", goes into a secret room behind hers, with two-way mirrors, watches her undress, and takes pictures of her while she showers. The reason for all this seems to not exist. If I had to guess, maybe, MAYBE, the director wanted you to not like the guy so much so when he got murdered later, you'd not feel so bad. Who knows.

Or how about a police officer that is for some reason stopping at all the stations and apparently putting the pieces together. Yes! Surely our hero the officer will suddenly show up and stop these murderous, rapist wannbe's, right? No -- he just sort of mysteriously disappears like a fart in the wind. You could delete his breif scenes and not lose a fucking thing.

Oh my goodness -- you know you're in for a classic when you have morons named "Runt" and "Spragg" on screen.

The one name you might recognize, is one of the producers: Ivan Reitman

You might also notice he's credited as a "Music supervisor". But what you may not know is Reitman did the score to the film. And that he's actually composed about a dozen scores.

For some reason he didn't continue to persue a career in scoring. And he was also not credited on most the films he scored, including this one. As far as I know, he's only credited once, on the first film he did (co-scored with another composer), called "Foxy Lady".

Unfortunately, spors, mold's and fungus are more interesting than this flick (reportedly based on a true story). You may know him as the directo of such films as "Ghostbusters" (and the sequel), "Stripes", and "Meatballs".
  14. I would never have come up with that name - never heard of him.
  15. Mystery Score Clip 64

Next up is a forgotten mini series with a score by a known composer who scored some popular movies during the time.

You're in for a treat. A pure lush orchestra score, with some bombast here & there. It's surprising this was never released. I have to say, a couple of cues have instantly become personal favorites of mine. Just some lovely stuff. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did.

The opening/closing titles have a little ethnic flavor to them, but the rest of the scre isn't like that.

For reasons I can't quite say, since it might give it away, chances are some of you might have seen the mini series.

The composer is still with us, but he's long since retired. He's getting up there, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPiHEspAJt8
  16. This would be the 1986 TV mini-series Fresno, the plot revolving around a raisin production company, the Kensingtons. The score was composed by John Morris.

I liked some of the more menacing segments of the score but I found the main theme rather annoying.
  17. Bingo, you got it!

The two-episode mini series was a parody of drama soaps at the time, namely "Dynasty", "Falcon Crest" and "Dallas"; that why I said some of you may have seen it. These were the big three power soap dramas and a mini series parodying them would certain have been seen by some people. IF you were alive then.

It's actually well done and the ending was some nice commupance.

I should note, John Morris is the main composer, but in the end credits of both episodes, there's this weird credit "Special Musical Material", with three people named:
    Tim Truman
    Barry Kemp
    (a writer/producer on the show)
    and Mark Ganzel (also a writer/producer on the show)
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2013 edited
    I do have to admit that guessing Fresno had nothing to do with knowing the music. About 10 minutes into the clip there's some dialogue that bleeds through and I could hear the name "Kevin Kensington" being mentioned. Google did the rest.

shame
  18. Well fuck! I missed that dialogue bit. ;-)
  19. justin boggan wrote
    Well fuck! I missed that dialogue bit. ;-)

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2013 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    IF you were alive then.

1986 is not ancient history, jb.

A standard statistic within the workforce is that the average age of an employee is age 37.

If we subtract 37 from 2013, the result yielded is 1976.

Certainly persons born around 1976 would remember the year 1986 and likely would not consider themselves as being old.

I think it would be interesting to find out the average age of the members here @ maintitles.net, and contrast this data with the average-worker-is-age-37 model. smile

[are there many members here born after 1986?]
  20. Cobweb wrote
    [are there many members here born after 1986?]

I, for one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2013
    Yep, the year after.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Good God.
    Do people that young really exist?

Surely history stopped just before the advent of disco?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    What's disco?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The end.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  21. I've seen young people on the boards before, and other boards I have been to. We are not talking about a workfoce, but posters, unless having a job is a prerequisite to being a member now.

Plus, even if you were alive then, you may have bene too young to watch it. So there. Now I've altered it.
  22. Mystery Score Clip 65

We're going back. Perhaps, off the top of my head, than any clip before in this thread.

We have a colorful, bouncy, and whimsical score for your ears.

The composer is not longer with us, the score is unreleased. You are hearing about 70% of the score (the rest was mostly source scoring, though delightful in of themselves). In fact -- the bulk of this composer work, remains unreleased.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NBpQl-wVjo
  23. Clue: a very famous actress starred in the film. I guess I'll reveal tonight if nobody takes a shot (I guess cobweb is stuck in a cobweb somewhere).
  24. Reveal.

It's 1957 and the film is a forgotten seriocomedy starring Katharine Hepburn, an Spencer Tracey.

Tracey plays Richard, an efficiency expert who shows up at the office doing mysterious things; he won't say why he's there, he's measuring various parts of the room, etc.

Hepburn plays the leader of three ladies who work in a help desk/rfeference center where people call in for answers about all kinds of things.

She plays a very intelligent and well spoken woman who clashes with Richard.

It's actually a very enjoyable film -- recommended if you enjoy witty, slow-paced films from that era. Check it out.

The score is by Cyril J. Mockridge. He worked on 251 film/TV projects (not counting individule TV episodes), with the vast bul unreleased, since 1933. Later in his career he was mainly scoring TV series, "Laramie", "Lost in Space", among others.