• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Mystery Score Clip 65

We're going back over twenty years to a TV series. The following suites are highlight cues that I have assembled.

A staple of its time, undoubtably some of you watched this back then.

The main composer is a big name in television. You know his work, and you've seen his name on many other shows.

The main composer is still alive. There have been no releases of the scoring for the show.

Suite 1:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYqgMupGm74

Suite 2:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHO4lUxbvFw

Suite 3:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-0QQQpMEjg
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Reveal.

It started in 1984. For seven years fans tuned into "Hunter", a police/detective show with the main characters Rick Hunter and Dee Dee McCall. The first three years were fun and there was some goo plotting, but after a while it started to go downhill, and season six was a pale comparrison of what it once was. Season seven, which is not up so I did not see it, is supposed to have gone downhill in writing and the sets; McCall left at the end of season six.

Mike Post and the late Pete Carpenter scored the first six seasons. During season six additional (credited) scoring was provided by: Frank Denson, Stephen James Taylor, and Jerry Grant.

For season seven, Walter Murphy (another in a long line of popular, known composers who proteged under Post) took over. Uncredited additional scoring from composers like Velton Ray Bunch and Ron Jones (in fact, to or three of the cues in the suites above, I'm almost positive are by Jones).

Suite #1 is seasons one to two.

Suite #2 is seasons three to five.

And the final is season six, including the pieces for when McCall decides to leave and when she actually leaves (the final cue).

There has been no release, which pretty much goes without saying, since there has never been a release of original scoring from all the famous, popular, and well known TV series Post has done.

The subsequent TV movies were bad. For some reason, neither Post nor Murphy returned.
    The 2003 revival TV series was TERRIBLE.

The next MSC should interest some people.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. Mystery Score Clip 66

For this entry we have one of the most famous composers that ever lived (sadly no longer with us), with an obscure credit long forgotten. The score has not been released.

Not a synth to be heard.

Because of the nature of the project and the dialogue over it, I had to make some edits here and there which may not be so great, and some are only fragments. I'd say you are listening to about half of the score.

But a great score nonetheless!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubb8KuaPrTg
  4. Couple more clues before the reveal:

Over 40 years ago. Short documentary film.
  5. justin boggan wrote
    Couple more clues before the reveal:

Over 40 years ago. Short documentary film.

It sounds like John Barry. "The Incredible World of James Bond", a documentary from 1965.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. Right composer, wrong documentary. "The Incredible World of James Bond" has no original score.

Reveal.

"Muloorina" (1964)

In a dry unforgiving part of Australia, a man and his wife have set up home and live stock to make their living. Just when it seemed the drought and lack of finances were getting to be too much, things change:
    BP is looking for a suitable area to attemp the world land speed record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cruT46lzPr8
  7. Mystery Score Clip 67

Just in time for Christmas, here is a score for a Christmas movie. The score itself is only lightly Christmas-y in feel. It's orchestral, bouncy, plesant.

The composer is no longer with us and the score is unreelased. I think the film has never been on VHS or DVD either.

What is special about the score is that aside from a handful of TV shows, this is the composers only [known] scoring credit for a film. You've likely seen his name before, just not as the composer, on other projects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ty5OKBRVIo
  8. Reveal.

This is the only [known] non-TV series scoring credit for John Elizalde. You may have seen his name before the end credits of TV series as a music editor and music supervisor. He also scored some TV series, like "The Streets of San Fransico".
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0253759/

It's the obscure 1983 TV movie "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever".

If you got some kids and you're even al ittle religious, you might enjoy it a tad or find it a good way to pass time. It's nothing particularly remakrable of striking, though it does have some nice albeit breif scenes.
    You'd have to go to DailyMotion.com to find it. The version on Youtube is in poor shape, and the uploader decided he was a music editor and tracked existing music throughout it, often making it annoying, covering up score, and terribly misplaced.
  9. Mystery Score Clip 68

We're not going back too far now. This is to a documentary film. This is all the original score from it, so one cue has talking over it, so you'll probably be able to identify it.

One of the most famous film composers ever, who is no longer with us. Because the score is so short, it is unreleased. It's nice stuff, so if a compilation of shorter works is ever made, it would be nice to have it on there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcF3kyf6PyY
  10. Reveal.

This is from the 1995 documentary series "A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies".

The famous composer is none other than Elmer Bernstein.

The documentary was essentially nothing more than an organized series of scenes and archived interview clips from directors, showing how film evolved and affected Martin, who would narrate and occassionally talk to us alone in a chair in front of a black screen.

I skimmed through some parts, mainly focusing on finding his score. My favorite part is director Frank Capra saying what I want to hear from other directors:

"They had wonderful directors at MGM, but you never heard their names. But you heard about me.
    I was thee enemy of the major studio: I believed in one man, one film; I believe one man should make the film," motioning with one finger on his right hand, "and I believe the director should be that one man. One man should do it, I don't give a dman whom, but... whom the director... at the most, to do with it.
    Ah, I-I just couldn't accept art as a committee. I could only accept art as an extension of an individule."
  11. Mystery Score Clip 69

More a point of curiosity as the score is unreleased, I made the clip for a reason, which will become apparent once either guessed or revealed.

This is pretty much the complete score from the film. As you can hear, it's all piano except one cue.

We're only going back a few years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Po5X3gr2w
  12. Reveal.

In honor of Wojciech Kilar, I figured something unreleased by him might be nice. I decided to go with one of the last three films he scored, since there were no reelased of some of his later scores.

It comes from a Polish film called "Revisited" (2009).
  13. Mystery Score Clip 70

Would you like some groovy score? Sure you would.

This goes to a TV movie from decades ago. The composer has very, very few credits, but despite that, because of one of the projects he worked on, some of you might know his name. He did, however, work with a very famous film composer on at least three different scores.

Sadly, though this information is missing from his IMDb page, he died young and we would never get more from him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM71E5IvU_Q
  14. Reveal.

This is from a 1977 television movie called "Panic in Echo Park", about a doctor who finds out there's some kind of outbreak in the area, and he has to deal with people wantitn to hide it, people who don't wan tto deal with it, hospital administration haulting him, and of course a bunch of sick people.

The score is by Johnnie Spence, who died in this fourties. He worked on at least three scores with John Barry, including doing the music to the song "From Russia With Love" (as well as performing on it). You might have seen his name, scoring at least two of the 1970's Spider-Man episodes.

This interesting tidbit was brought up at FSM in 2010:
    George Komar:
    According to Richard Moore, who remastered the Matt Monro box-set:

"The noise on From Russia - which I haven't been able to remove - is George Martin talking to Johnnie Spence during the Tack Piano overdub. This was recorded at half speed so what you're actually hearing is their conversation sped up..."

Apparently they are saying something like "Sound check... I want... What was that again?" and this was not completely erased when the vocal recording was made over the same tape.

John Barry was not involved in any way in the recording of either version of the vocal. That honor fell to arranger/conductor Johnnie Spence.

Source: http://www.johnbarry.org.uk/sn_fromrussiawithlove.php
  15. Mystery Score Clip 71

This is from a little known movie. I did this because it's a personal favorite of the compsoer who did it and it's not been released.

It's a very plesant orchestral score, with some occassional soft solo flute passages, and some nice warm and yearning pieces.

It's from the 1990's.

The composer is very well known and is famous for a couple scores in particular. He is still with us. The conductor of the score, passed away.

It's about 80 to 90% of the score.

I apologize about the high volume, which doesn't necessarily deflect from the listen but is just more unnatural; it was mixed extremely low in the film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r_yNRRXbVM
  16. Reveal.

The score is from a 1996 movie called "Eden", about a husband a wife and two kids living their life as the wife struggles Multiple Sclerosis and seems to get worse and worse. She behaves oddly sometimes, falls asleep in the car, etc., and she keeps having dreams where she's leaving her body, going further and further.

I wasn't particularly taken with the film. Maybe some of you will enjoy it.

The score is by Brad Fiedel. The conductor was Shirley Walker.
  17. Mystery Score Clip 72

This time we have a catchy western score. If you enjoyed scores like that from an era gone, you'll enjoy this.
    The score also works in the theme from a popular song.

The western isn't famous or even well known (though a famous actor is in it). The score is unreleased. The composer, well, he's a song artist and this was his only film score, but it's a good one. Shame he didn't do more. One reviewer called his score "inept"; if this is inept, I'd love to hear more composers write inept scores.

Some of his songs have been used in film and television, including "The Simpsons". Under normal circunstances that would be a major clue and could readily identify the composer, but considering how long the show has been on the air and how many songs have been used, I feel confident in giving that away.

It's not a long score. I'd say I got about 90% of it in the suite, which is just a tad over ten minutes long.

Enjoy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o9FXg4nrhE
  18. Reveal.

The year is 1968, the film is "Journey to Shiloh". About seven friends who go to fight in the Civil War, but not all of them make it back. Didn't seem (I skimmed some of it) that good a movie.

The famous actor I said that was in it, was Harrison Ford..

The one-time composer was David Gates.
  19. Mystery Score Clip 73

I do't really know how well known this film is. I assume it falls into a niche audience. The film is a little over 50 years old.

The composer is British and was born under a difference name than what you may know him as. He is no longer with us.

Enjoy a delightful little orchestral romp (only a short selection this time):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbthWo5CO0k
  20. Reveal.

This from a 1961 black & white film called "Hand in Hand" about a little boy and little girl who are good friends, but one family is moving away. Only two selections from the film were up, so I can't comment on the film really. It looks good enough.

The score is by Stanley Black.

I have at least a handful of clips planned, with another coming up this hour.
  21. Mystery Score Clip 74

This is from a short miniseries from a few decades ago. The score has not been released, and only one of the two composers is still with us.

One of the composers is known the film scoring community (I can't say how much so, though), the other not so much. I had no idea the two knew each other, but they are credited together on all episodes.

It's an orchestra score with a little bit of those older synth sounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAu5rZKyZTY
  22. Reveal.

This is from the 1977 mini series, "Aspen".

I skimmed through most of it, as it didn't really appeal to me. It appears to be a fairly mediocre murder & trial drama, set in Aspen. So, in other words, they used a snow resort to spruce up your run-of-the-mill court drama, for ratings.

The score for the three-part mini series, was co-composed by Tom Scott & Michael Melvoin.
    Melvoin passed away like in the last year period, to little fanfare. In fact, I was apparently the only one here who reported it. He has very few scoring credits.
    IMDb took my submission from a few weeks ago, and now both composers are credited for the episodes.

Murder and intrigue in a few minutes with the next clip!
  23. Mystery Score Clip 75

For the next clip we go back over half a century to the pilot episode of TV series, where murder, mystery, and spy drama reign.

The score is unreleased and the composer is no longer with us. The show had at least three composers on it, with the pilot being the only score by this mystery composer for the series.

The composer is fairly well known, and indeed gained some attention with a release frm a major label in the last few years.

The score is sort of like a serialized drama work, where it strongly underlines the scenes and flows from one to the next.

I'd loved to have done more from the series, but this is the only episode up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRmVmQ9_Th0
  24. This thread is such an odd little echo chamber.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2014
    This is THE most entertaining thread on MT!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    What I've never been able to understand is why Justin simply doesn't rename and repackage the thread into a "Justin's obscure Film and TV Score of the Week", where he talks about his choice with a sound clip. I'm sure that would result in more clicks and even some discussion, unlike this pointless 'quiz' that nobody but himself can relate to.

It's an enigma.
    I am extremely serious.
  25. I'm afraid there is much truth in what you say, Thor.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You bunch of combo breakers angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    What's a combo breaker?
    I am extremely serious.
  26. It's a game term. Combo, in fighting games, is a series of punches and kicks that take away a lot of "energy" (let's say life) and a combo breaker happens when you block it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website