• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2014
    confused
    I am extremely serious.
  1. It become a slang element.

I like to poke fun at the phrase and talk about "condom breakers"
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. I think, what Steven meant was this:

http://de.urbandictionary.com/define.ph … %20breaker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. Yeah, but I gave the "etymology" smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    I think, what Steven meant was this:

http://de.urbandictionary.com/define.ph … %20breaker

Ah, I see. Thanks.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. justin boggan wrote
    Mystery Score Clip 75

For the next clip we go back over half a century to the pilot episode of TV series, where murder, mystery, and spy drama reign.

The score is unreleased and the composer is no longer with us. The show had at least three composers on it, with the pilot being the only score by this mystery composer for the series.

The composer is fairly well known, and indeed gained some attention with a release frm a major label in the last few years.

The score is sort of like a serialized drama work, where it strongly underlines the scenes and flows from one to the next.

I'd loved to have done more from the series, but this is the only episode up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRmVmQ9_Th0

Again having no clue about this one at all, I was looking through a lot of 1950s TV spy series details on IMDB. It's amazing how little information on the music used in these shows there is on this database. A lot of them have detailed entries for cast and crew but there's usually no composer listed. Mostly any reference to music is as a "music supervisor" so I am assuming that a lot of these shows had only library music.

Was 1950s spy shows the wrong place to start Justin?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. Yes, I often find people skip submitting composers to TV series, on IMDb. Just this passed month I have added missing credits on various TV shows, including for composers: Riddle, Rosenman, Ralph Burns, Don Costa, JJ Johnson, Harry Geller, and others. Though, of course, some series don't have any composers credited.

The '50's was the wrong decade, go with the '60's.

The star of this series has a very recognizable face and voice. I guess you could say he was more of a character actor, as he was never a big lead in film or TV, though he did hav a reoccuying character on a popular 1980's TV series. He's no logner with us.

Thanks for the interest and not derailing, FalkirkBairn.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2014
    justin boggan wrote
    Thanks for the interest and not derailing, FalkirkBairn.

Yeah, Alan, thanks for not derailing Justin's conversation with himself.

lol

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2014 edited
    It's not really derailing. I think I posed a fairly legitimate question, and I'm not sure why you refuse to answer -- i.e. about making this into a "Justin's Obscure Film & TV Score Recommendation of the Week"-type thing where you talk about the choice and maybe even invite debate.

Why do you INSIST so strongly on doing this as a quiz that nobody has any interest in, when what I suggested would unquestionably get at least a bit more on-topic participation?

It's just totally flabbergasting; as is your reluctance to say why. But hey, it's your privilege.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Thor wrote
    Why do you INSIST so strongly on re-posting this 30 minute album argument that nobody has any interest in, when what folks buy unquestionably goes against it?

It's just totally flabbergasting; as is your reluctance to continue posting it. But hey, it's your privilege.

Fixed it!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Oh, Justin, you silly goose. That's the most clever you could come up with - a "joke" you must have repeated about 1500 times by now?

Anyways, waiting with much anticipation for your next Mystery Score Clip. Could it possibly be Robert "Smoothiepants" Fassenberger's classic action cue from the episode "Landing on My Feet" from the brilliant 1992 TV show THE LOST PIGTAIL?
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Pardon my ignorance, but I don't get that joke. confused

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Pardon my ignorance, but I don't get that joke. confused

Volker

No worries. Every time Justin wants to make a dig at me, he says something about me liking only 30-minute releases and any variations thereof. It's even more tired than a Horner/plagiarism joke, and doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Thor wrote
    Anyways, waiting with much anticipation for your next Mystery Score Clip. Could it possibly be Robert "Smoothiepants" Fassenberger's classic action cue from the episode "Landing on My Feet" from the brilliant 1992 TV show THE LOST PIGTAIL?

lolapplauselollol
  9. Captain Future wrote
    Pardon my ignorance, but I don't get that joke. confused

Volker

You see, Thor for years has been ad nauseum reposting & reposting the same old thing about Cd's needing to be shorter and done as a presentation/listening experience. Which is fine to have the opinion, nobody argues that. But he did it so often, at multiple boards, that he would derail threads litterally. To the point JWFan.com told him to stop; to the point where one label name refered to him in an interview, though not by name, negatively; to the point where even LLLR's has said that' not what people want and they know what the people want and what is selling.

To this day, nobody has become a parody to pointing it out, only he has reached that level and thinks it's somebody else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Awesome, keep it up, Justin!

This thread is more entertaining now than it ever was (although I think I only understood half of what you said in that last post)!
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Thor, just be happy that you don't have children. At least that argument he can't use.
  11. Thor wrote
    Awesome, keep it up, Justin!

This thread is more entertaining now than it ever was (although I think I only understood half of what you said in that last post)!

Funnily enough, the entertainment value has fallen off markedly.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2014
    Guys, knock it off.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  12. Reveal.

This is from spy thriller from the '60's that last only one season, but it was a full season.
    "The Man Who Never Was" starred Robert Lansing as a spy who's cover is blown immediately in the opening of the pilot, as he's being hunted down and beign shot at. During his escape a man who looks identical to him, is shot and killed. Thinking they got him, Lansing's character is taken home by the driver of the man who looked like him, since Lansing's character was shot, too, and passed out. He finds himself with a wife with financial troubles and he with money.
    The agency finds him and tells him this is a big chance -- he can assume a new identity and continue. He just has to be the husband for the unknowing widow. Until she discovers he's not her husband.
    EDIT: The TV series I refered to him havign a recurring role in, was "The Equalizer".

The score to the pilot is by Frank Cordell (I recently added this to IMDb andthey took it in a few days). EDIT: The score I mentioned released recently, was "Cromwell", an epic adventure score, from Intrada. Included at the end of the suite, was the end credits music, which is by the composer, too.

Nelson Riddle scored episode three (I don't know who did episode two), and then Gerald Fried scored the rest of the series (at least until the last episode, which I don't know whom did, but I assume Freid).

Knowing Riddle and Fried's scoring for drama like this back then, I can only assume there are some musical treats in store if I should ever find more episodes aside from the pilot.

It's actually not a bad pilot and certainly has a lot of potential for a series.

For those curious:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3ap62-Z3sU
  13. What little I heard of the score, I liked the music.
  14. Mystery Score Clip 76

If you like reflective guitar, soft orchestra, long-lines themes, and some exotic percussion, you'll probably like this.

If you're thinking it has that '70's feel good sound, you're right: it is the 1970's.
    The exotic soudns and rythyms for some parts, is catchy and enjoyable.

This is the pilot episode fo a short-lived TV series. The composer (no longer with us) only scored the pilot, then another composer came in and did the rest. It goes without saying none of it has ever been released.

The composer has a number of credits to his name, though he was never a big name in the film score loving community.

This is probably 90% of the score. Enjoy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCkiz4rwD2s
  15. Spontaniousley I thought it's Ted Ottley but he is not.

Volker
  16. Reveal.

The pilot is from the short-lived TV series "Lucan", based (I don't know how much) on a real even of a boy raised in the wilderness by himself until discovered and brought to civilization.

Of course as was for TV back then, naturally he possesses some kind of abilities. In this case has had faster speed, sharper agility, and could hunt like predator.

The pilot actually not that bad and I imagine the show wasn't either.

The score was by Fred Karlin. Like I said in the initial post, the composer only did the pilot. J. J. Johnson scored the rest of the episodes by himself; I subimitted those missing credits to IMDb a couple weeks ago and they added shortley thereafter.
  17. Mystery Score Clip 77

We're going back to the '80's for this great score. So many great scores came out during that decade and here's one that may have slipped under your radar.

What you are presented with here is a rousing, robust, theme-oriented, orchestral score that is truly a hidden gem. You may think it surely came from the pen of a recognizable master like Goldsmith or Bernstein, but it did not.

This is a selection primarily from one episode of a mini series.

The composer is no longer with us and the score is unreleased.

Apologies about the main title cue -- we all remember (Well, most of us), the horror days of VCR's and tracking and how that affected audio quality when you started recording. Well, the video I ripped from is a victim of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXx2tpZ2xCc
  18. Reveal.

This is from the 1985 mini series, "Robert Kennedy and His Times".

The score is by Fred Karlin. It's culled primarily from the second episode.
  19. In November of last year, ex composer Paul Gilreath found my suite of score from "Making Contact", from an earlier entry in this thread, and commented on it -- I thought you all might like to read it:

Just saw some of the comments here. I wrote the score to the US release for Making Contact... I was a kid at just 23 years old. Ah, listening to this brings back memories. The company that released the US version wanted an orchestral score as compared to the electronic score that was originally used for the German version. This was the first orchestral score I did and it was a work in exploration... and by that I mean, I was exploring how the hell to write a score. I had written a couple of other electronic scores, but this was the first feature length orchestral one. I wrote non stop for 3 weeks, night and day. Did all the orchestrations myself. Then had 6 copiest over to my apartment for 2 days writing out the parts, then proofing them. I conducted the session, which was done in 7 hours. It was supposed to be a 5 hour recording (that was what we had budgeted) and we had to record almost 80 minutes of music! I remember that I called New World at the end of 5 hours with still 20 minutes of music to record to ask for another $2500 to pay the musicians to do another hour. The musicians ended up giving me an hour for free because they loved the score and wanted to help the newbie. One of the most wonderful days of my life and something I'll always remember even at 52 years old dentist in Atlanta now... Thanks for listening to my rant.
    PG
  20. Mystery Score Clip 78

This is from a short film from a few years ago. What makes this remarkable is the composer who scored it. This was his last known scoring credit and before that his scoring career has dissapated, though he's famous and has a number of famous TV series to his name, as well as many films and TV movies. I don't know how they got him and convinced him to come out of what I suppose was retirement, but they did (and even thanked him in the end credits, along with his family). Yes, he's still alive.

Only the opening and closing credits had score, so this is the whole thing.

You read, every once in a while, people saying, "Oh, this score sounds just like scores from (insert decade)", or that it's so "retro", but they always sounds faux retro and I've still yet to hear a modern composer pull it off. This well known composer pulls if off in an updated version, flawlessly.

Enjoy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSDeQOP8zD0
  21. What does "famous" mean?

Houshold name around the world?
    Houshold name in North America?
    Known to the average film score collector?

V.
  22. Captain Future wrote
    What does "famous" mean?

Houshold name around the world?
    Houshold name in North America?
    Known to the average film score collector?

V.

Considering the famous TV series he's worked on, he's got to be known by film score fans across the world.

The average fil mscore lover should have seen his name on multiple projects, unless they've lived under a rock.

The composer has worked, at least twice (maybe no more than that) with a hugly famous director.