• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Yes, I certainly did enjoy it. There was a specific segment somewhere in the middle that I thought reminded me of his father - hence the guess at Peter Bernstein.

Here's a link to the film - skip through to about 9:45

http://youtu.be/VKPSMCc0_WI
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Mystery Score Clip 86

We're taking a trip back to the 1980's, when television scoring was still exciting and vibrant and just one show after another battered you over the head with it's music.

The music is from the pilot episode of a relatively short-lived series that has something of a cult following now online. Thankfully I didn't have to skim the pilot -- it was enjoyable.
    You got drama, adventure, action, a car chase piece, excitement. I left in some dialogue to not interrupt the music in one cue, hopefully that won't give it away.

The composer, who scored every episode, is an award-winning composer with some popular and famous TV series under his belt as well as ones not such much, and movies and TV movies. While he certainly never became a big name, he got work consistantly. I think he should have gotten more acclaim and bigger assignments.

The composer is still with us and sadly none of the score has been released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRGOk9WSPx4
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. justin boggan wrote
    Mystery Score Clip 86

We're taking a trip back to the 1980's, when television scoring was still exciting and vibrant and just one show after another battered you over the head with it's music.

I think that some of the best scores in recent years came from TV shows and mini-series(es ?).

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. Reveal.

This is from the pilot of the series "The Wizard".

The composer is Arthur B. Rubinstein.

The series has as it's main star a dwarf, Simon McKay (actor David Rappaport). He's sort of an intelligent, traveled, and passionate man who invents things and likes to help people.

He has a body guard and an assistant (played by Gates McFadden; Beverly on "Star Trek: The Next Generation").

I plan to check out more episodes later to see how it goes.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. Mystery Score Clip 87

Were going bakc a few decades to a short-lived TV series. Once again I've focused on the pilot episode. It was a fun pilot with an fun concept; today Holylwood couldn't even dream of pulling this off 'cause the laws in real life would have you in a black hole where nobody could find you, for a decade. Oh how times have changed.

The composer is no longer with us. None of the show's orchestral scoring has been released.

the compsoer worked on some popualr and famnous TV series as well as a number of films. He was nominated a number of times for awards and even won twice.

The suite probably consists of half the score from the episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thpx1V3g1Kk
  6. Reveal.

This is from the pilot score to a series called "Salvage 1".

The series takes place in a junkyard where for some reason, maybe just bordom or wanting to see what they can do, they decide to build a rocket ship to go to the moon.

However, their purchases of certain materials flags them in government agencies and one comes down to find out what's happening.

On the verge of being found out and shut down they're launch before ready, much to the shock of the neighborhood who watch it takes off from the junkyard However, there is danger ahead.

It's a serious show with some light humor. Starring andy Griffith.

The score is by the late Walter Scharf.

The scores for the series were provided by him and: Jack Hayes, Richard Clements, and Ken Harrison early on in his career pre-MacGyver.

I'm not done with pilots yet. One more tomorrow.
  7. Mystery Score Clip 88

We're going a few decads to the pilot of a short-lived series that was deservadly cancelled.

The score has not been released, though reportedly a cue from (or a cue like it) the pilot ended up as a track on a CD of another score by the composer. The score is both orchestral an synth.

The composer is still with us and has been featured in this thread before. Apologies about the sound, but it's the best source I could find.

I had to break it up into two parts:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9rFrxcI5O0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ_8vCIVBhY
  8. Reveal.

Once again the composer is Arthur B. Rubinstein.

The series was called "The Phoenix". It's best left forgotten. Terrible. 1981, only five episodes. I'm shocked it didn't get cancelled and pulled midway during the airing of the pilot. Somebody surely had to be watching that at the studio and going, "My God, what have I greenlite?"

Another entry coming up soon; making it now.
  9. Mystery Score Clip 89

We're going back a few decades to a documentary. I shouldn't think clues are needed for the composer.

About 26 minutes of the score was released. In fact, it was missing from the composer's IMDb credits until I added it a few weeks ago.

Enjoy this wonderful score:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KMjneuqHf8
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2014
    Gorgeous score. No idea who wrote it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  10. I venture to shoot from the hip: Bruce Broughton

But really, I also have no idea.

Volker
  11. I'm shocked no one has identified the composer.

Well, I guess a clue is in order:

This is a top shelf composer. I mean the best of the best of the best, with honors, sir! composer. You make a list of the greatest film composers of all time, he's up there with people like Goldsmith and Rozsa.
  12. Reveal.

This score is from a two-part documentary about the Nile river and it's affects on the people and the people's affects on it. "The Nile", a Cousteau documentary, was composed and conducted by Georges Delerue. It's yet another Cousteau documentary that had incorrect composer credits on IMDb (John Scott and Paul Chihara were listed on IMDb); I've rectified that.

As I pointed out, about 26 minutes of the score was released. It was oon a compilation of three documentary scores, on the Universal France label. I think it's OOP.

Got another good score coming up soon.
  13. Mystery Score Clip 90

If you like good, strong, mature, robust orchestral scores with not a synth to be heard, than this is for you. And tell me you don't love that theme.

We're going back half a century to a documentary film score.

The composer is still with us, but sadly this is his only known score (he also conducted two other scores). Two other composers are listed for additional music in the opening. It's shocking that somebody does a score like this and no other film scoring work follows. Utterly baffeling.
    He is, however, known for his work as a conductor elsewhere.

A tiny portion of the score was released, but I'd call it a technicallity of a release.

There was just so much good music that I couldn't skip large portions of it, so I had to make two suites. If ever a score deserved a proper release, this is it.

Part 1:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvQtCHx-pP4 (the opening beings a little quietly, but goes up)

Part 2:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieLDlslA7N0
    (EDIT: new load of part two; for some reason the initial load was rejected later instead of right away as usual)
  14. justin boggan wrote
    Mystery Score Clip 90

The composer is still with us, but sadly this is his only known score (he also conducted two other scores). Two other composers are listed for additional music in the opening. It's shocking that somebody does a score like this and no other film scoring work follows. Utterly baffeling.
    He is, however, known for his work as a conductor elsewhere.

Is he a well-known conductor?

It sounds very good by the way. It sounds as though there's some Eastern European/Russian influence there somewhere?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  15. My quick search suggests he may be a well-known conductor. The composer is not American-born.
  16. Reveal.

This is from the feature-length Cousteau documentary from 1964 called "World Without Sun".

The composer is Serge Baudo. The two additional composers credited in the opening: Henri Crolla and André Hodeir.
  17. justin boggan wrote
    The composer is Serge Baudo. The two additional composers credited in the opening: Henri Crolla and André Hodeir.

I had no chance! Never came across this composer's name at all when I was looking about for known 20th Century conductors.

Good score though!
  18. Note: Part 2 to the the last clip,m has been fixed.

Mystery Score Clip 91

Fuck yeah, 1980's. Fuck yeah, 1980's score. Oh, fuck -- it's not been released.

This balsy score with hints of Goldsmith and Horner is from a now famous award winning composer (still with us). Unfortunately there was a lot of SFX is the action cues, so I had to leave most of them out.

The movie ... oh, cheese. But the score as you can hear, is far above and beyond what the movie could have gotten or quite frankly deserved. This movie is damn lucky to have gotten this score.

There's a boot of the score, but I don't have it. Judging by the film, there's a lot of score and the boot os woefully incomplete. My understading from some quick glancing, is that some of the score was tracked into two other films as well. Hopefully some label will rectify this lack of release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jkie9JYeVk
  19. Reveal.

This is from a 1985 film called "Wheels of Fire".

Set in some kind of alternative Mad Max world with lots of roads, cars, and fighting side. Also, a Playboy bunny who has a decent helping of bouncing bare boobs in the film.

Actually, she wasn't that bad. Certainly better acting than Pamela Anderson. I expect Anderson to walk into a sound studio and go, "Agh! Look out! He's got a nug!"

Anyway.

Car chases, fights, weird underground people (for some odd reason -- doesn't seem to serve a point in the film), and of course bouncing boobs. Did I mention those already?

Anyway.

The score is by Christopher Young. Hopefully with Intrada relationship with the composer, one day they will rectify this lack of release.
  20. The score sounded a good candidate for a future release. Being Chris Young (and the relationship with Intrada), here's hoping of a release.
  21. Mystery Score Clip 92

I thought this might be a nice diversion. Totally obscure composer and film, but a nice score nonetheless.

It's probably best you don't admit you know the film... ;-)

I only know it 'cause I was curious to hear the unreleased score. But I stuck around for the boobs. I'm unapologetic.

We're going to the 1970's. The German composer is not longer with us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVJqCGZqMMY
  22. My first suspission was Gerd Wilden's Schulmädchen Report. But I don't think so.

smile Volker
  23. Go fish.
  24. Reveal.

This is from a 1977 film I guess you could call sexplotation, named "Wanda, the Wicked Warden". How do I know that's the name? Well, I'm glad you asked! Right over the music a lady says i na seductive voice the name of the film, just incase we all missed it.

Why, who is Wanda? I'm glad you asked!

Wanda is a warden. A wicked warden. Of an all-female ward of some kind. I don't know. There's tons of boobs, that's what's important.

After one inmate escapes and it found by a local who then suspects something is going on in the boobs, butts, touching. And so boobs, boobies, breasts. But butts kissing, boobs.

So shoot me, it's not a particularly deep movie. But if you enjoy boobs, female butts, and girls touching thereselves in the shower, then you should enjoy parts of this movie. There's other stuff inbetween (no pun intended) but it's sort of filler.

The score is by somebody named Walter Baumgartner, who apparently scored a bunch of sexplotation films and even did some acting in half a dozen. I guess he was scoring on and off the recording stage.
  25. Mystery Score Clip 93

Oh yes, there's no mistaking this funky score as being from the 1970's.

I guess this falls into the category of blaxploitation. The score is unreleased. I can barely find any information on the composer. I have no idea if he's still alive or not. IMDb shows at least three film scores by him. After a fun score like this with some nicely done action material of that period, I can only guess why he didn't do more.

This time, only some breif boobs. It's not a boobs film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TQKgyx-Uj0
  26. You do manage to hunt down some gems Justin, but I just don't know where to start with looking for this one!
  27. Reveal.

This is from a '70's film called "The Muthers", about a small boat of black women who are pirates and rob people. How do I know they are the Muthers? Well, I'm glad you asked! 'cause Muthers is written in large letters on both sides of the small boat.

Anyway, they get caught and send to an island prison camp with other women and they are not treated all to well and eventually make an escape and who cares, it's boring.

The score is by rare composer Eddie Villanueva.
  28. Mystery Score Clip 94

We're going back a few decades to a movie based on a real person and his accomplishments.

The score is unreleased. The very well known composer is still with us and has been featured in this thread before.

Enjoy a nice orchestral score with various percussion, a plesant theme, guitars, and a story told through the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL3XGmYZ1cs
  29. Reveal.

This is from a 1983 film titled "Running Brave". The plot summary from IMDb:
    The story of Billy Mills, the American Indian that came from obscurity, to win the 10,000 meter long distance foot race in the Tokyo Olympics.

He is still alive today. According to his wikipedia page he is:
    Mills is the co-founder of the nonprofit group Running Strong for American Indian Youth with Eugene Krizek. The aim of Running Strong is to help American Indian people fulfill their basic needs -food, water, and shelter- while also helping their communities gain self-sufficiency and self-esteem. He now acts as a spokesperson for the group and travels the country speaking out for and on behalf of Native American communities.

The score is by extremely famous TV veteren composer Mike Post. Unfortunately, as covered earlier in the thread, while Post has a crapload of stuff under his belt including many of the most famous TV series ever made, there has never been one single release of any of his original scores. There has been a couple of re-recordings of his TV themes for compilations of the composer's work, but that's it. Not even a single promotional CD-R I can name.

Last year LLLR's stated they were working on a couple of "great classic tv shows". Years ago when I did an interview with MV for my B:TAS scores website, I asked him about other TV shows he wanted released, he replied:

There are a few shows we would love to sink our teeth into. Shows like "Magnum, pi", "The A-Team" and "Space: Above and Beyond" are on the top of our list. I hope to see them come out some day, whether it be on La La Land or another label.

Well, one down. I can only hope those two classic TV shows he's said they were working on, are the other two in the quote. Probably not, but one can hope.