• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Mystery Score Clip 95

We're going back to 1990's.

This is selected cues from the pilot score to a short-lived series. The series was thankfully put out of its misery.

The score is unreleased and all the composers are still with us. One provided the theme and he is a famous film composer (you all know the name); the other co-composed some of the score (uncredited), and the main composer is semi retired from scoring. There is no info' online to know who did the episodic scoring, though I assume the main pilot composer did most of it based on his passed track record.

If you enjoycolorful orchestral with nary a synth to be heard (in the cues selected), you'll enjoy this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOQkAx5ef8g
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. I'll reveal later today.

In the mean time, some clues about the composer: he's been primarily a television series composer, with some TV movies and almost no films. He's worked on some very popular series, one as a primary composer. I'm surprised his style didn't ring any bells and nobody took a guess.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. Reveal.

This is from the 1990 pilot to "E.A.R.T.H. Force". Yes, some malarkey about people are evil and are destroying the planet, which was kind of popular for a decade or two around that time.

While the writing wasn't really that bad, the whole thing was bad. In fact, all it had going for it is that it seemed to be trying to ride the coat tails of "MacGyver", so much so they got Ken Harrison to score the pilot.

Ashley Irwin, a composer and orchestrator in his own right, co-scored the pilot, altough he was uncredited. Yes, I double checked his official website and sure enough his credit is verified over the IMDb listing.

Bill Conti provided the series theme. Irwin has also worked for Conti before. You may have noted thye similarity is the strings and orchestration to the opening of the "Dynasty" theme.

The more I looked into Harrison's work, though not necessarily everything, I find an unsung composer who provided a good deal of good scoring. Thankfully he has a fanbase in the "MacGyver" community.

He's semi retired now, having moved and taken a job as a real estate agent, cheerfully trying to get people into beautiful houses in and near a beautiful snowy mountain. He's like other successful composers during that time who had a successful television career, then dumped it to do things like be a real estate agent, run a bank, or be an actor.
  4. Mystery Score Clip 96

Ah, yes, the 1980's. Television had some damn fine orchestral scoring in the '60's, '70's, and it continued into the 1980's.

The varying score is from a relatively short-lived series that made an unfortunate mistake that eventually ended it's life. The series itself is actually not bad at all and certainly could have gone on further; it tried a couple things to keep cancellation off, but those failed.

Here you have three suites comprising score from all but four episodes. As you'll hear early on, the series was very, very focused on the music and had themes it intended to establish for the episode. In fact, there were a number of scenes where the score actually lead the scenes with little to no SFX. So there's a good bit of variety, from light and plucky to growling brass, thundering piano to tense mystery.

There are no composer listings online and the end credits were cut off. What credits are on IMDb, I submitted most if not all. There were at least two composers; one a well-known television composer who did about a handful of popular film scores and the other did little scoring and was mostly in the music department working on other composer's scores. Oh, there is just one more thing -- the well-known composer is no longer with us.

While there is no listing online for the composer on each episode, I'm pretty sure one (or two) of the scores in the third suite is by Stu Phillips, but I can't find any info' online suggesting he worked on this series.
    EDIT: I asked Stu at the FSM board (where he'll sometimes turn up) and he said he didn't do any episodes.

Suite #1:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHJiUbnQmF4

Suite #2:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5qNQXwkTTw

Suite #3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHJiUbnQmF4
  5. Another clue: the star is the show has actually been a star of on other shows before and it still acting to this day. Said person was also in a popular film with a cult following, though not necessaily the star (more like a secondary star).
  6. Reveal.

This is from the two-season lived (13 episodes) "Mrs. Columbo".

Kate Mulgrew played Kate Columbo. Or Rose Columbo. Or Kate Callahan. Or Rose Callahan. Yes, things get more confusing from here on in.

Supposedly the wife of Columbo, even using his dog, showing his car and refering to her husband as a police detectice (though the wikipedia page indicates she would have been 12 years old from the first reference in older Columbo episodes), for some reason an unofficial spin-off was created.

Kate would often get caught up in mysteries that involve murder and would solve them.

Even though Mulgrew had unexpected acting range, the show was written nicely, interesting, and over-all well done, it made two fatal mistakes that put the final nails in the coffin.

One, it unofficially made itself a spin-off of a famous television character and then when they decided to re-tool it and drop the connection, they actually divorced her from Mr. Columbo and had her pay to change her last name. If you wanted to piss off fans of "Columbo", that was a sure-fire way.

The series went through multiple name changes in thirteen episodes, from "Mrs. Columbo", to "Kate Columbo", then "Kate the Detective", and finally to "Kate Loves a Mystery".

The theme and all but one episode were scored by the late John Cacavas, who also did three "Columbo" episodes. C.R. Cassey scored one episode.

Of interesting note, there was another Trek connection: Rene Auberjonois, who played Odo on D.S.9., was in two episodes.
  7. Mystery Score Clip 97

We're going back really not that far this time, to a mini series. There's no amount of not typing it that will hide it, so it's obvious when you hear it that it is a western.

The score is sadly unreleased. The composer is still with us and has three or four famous TV series under his belt, along with more television show, some TV movies, and rare films efforts.

I can't say anybody, except one person, is famous, but it was a great cast. This mini series really slipped under the radar and I intend to say a few words about it when the title is revealed.

If you like mature orchestral scores with recognizable themes, chances are you'll enjoy this.

I had to break it up into two suites.

Suite #1:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBZi6YTa2Fk

Suite #2:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-RAqJOW6Ug
  8. Reveal.

The score was from the 1996 mini series "Dead Man's Walk". It was in three parts.

A man claiming to be a general for the Texas Rangers collects men to annex Sante Fe, which at the time was part of Mexico. However, things don't go well at all and food and water is scare of long distances, while also being stalked and picked off by an indian warrior as they are all trespassing through their territory. Then they are arrested and sent on a death march of 500 miles to a Mexican prison, by Captain Salazar (Edward James Olmos).

Sometimes brutal, often unforgiving, and lessons in life taught the hard way, this nicely written and wonderfully shot (with eye candy shots) mini series was scored by David Bell. The score was nominated for an Emmy (he lost out to Ernest Troost, as I recall). The mini series also won two other awards.
    Bell's claims to fame are the Star Trek spin-off series (minus TNG) and multiple episodes of "Muder, She Wrote".

Bell got this assignment after rescoring about 30 minutes of a related mini series called "Streets of Laredo", which was scored by David Shire.

The characters are interesting without going into great depths (which isn't needed here), acting is wonderful (with only two or three woobly performances) and the mini series is divided into three distinct parts as the journey progresses and things get worse. Can anybody come out alive in this tale?

If you got some spare time, it's available for free from Hulu (also linked on IMDb):
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115238/combined

I didn't know at the time, but this was a prequel to "Lonesome Dove", but it turned out to not be necessary to know anything about LD to enjoy this.

After the good work of Basil Poledouris, the good effort from David Shire and then this wonderful (I can't speak of Ken Thorne's mini series effort, though that's soon to be rectified), there were two big let downs: the 1994 and 1995 LD series which shows you how to not score a western and how to take a piss on good efforts previously.
  9. Mystery Score Clip 98

We're going back many decades here, hell, to the last century.

The film, pretty much forgotten, the leads -- can't say I recognize any of them, but that's okay as it wasn't great anyway. But the score, however...

The composer passed away in recent years and the score has never been released. In fact, extremely little of the composer's body of work has ever been released, even when counting LP. Kind of remarkable considering his talent. Likely many of you have seen his name and some of those may even have one of two of the releases with some of his music. I can't say he was ever famous, but he was certainly in demand by studios for score film and television. He did, however, do a little scoring on one of the most famous TV series of all time (as well as something releated...).

The score here is masterful; from the colorful exotic orchestration, old-school drama approaches, and one cue which pretty much takes a professional and estetical genius to pull off. Fans of older scores are in for a treat.

Enjoy:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM8rTZ5MjjE
  10. Reveal.

This is from a 1956 re-make film called "Run for the Sun".

It was scored by Fred Steiner, who of course worked on the original "Star Trek" series. It's also a rare instance of him being credited as Frederick Steiner.

The review on the IMDb kind of sums it up best with the review headline: Run With Dick and Jane
  11. Mystery Score Clip 99

We're going back a few decades to an episode of a TV series that, while it ran years, is forgotten today, but was based on a famous figure in history.

The score is unreleased, but thankfully there wasn't too much FX or SFX in the scenes that had score, so I ripped some good heeaping portions.

Unfortunately the composer is no longer with us, though had a good long life. The composer worked on a number of popular and famous TV series, with some occassional TV movie and film work.

I don't even remotely expect anybody to name an episode here, just the series.

Part 1:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABSO7uyZGW8

Part 2:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXOAzyzm3yY
  12. justin boggan wrote

You still expect too much.
  13. justin boggan wrote
    Mystery Score Clip 99

We're going back a few decades to an episode of a TV series that, while it ran years, is forgotten today, but was based on a famous figure in history.

The score is unreleased, but thankfully there wasn't too much FX or SFX in the scenes that had score, so I ripped some good heeaping portions.

Unfortunately the composer is no longer with us, though had a good long life. The composer worked on a number of popular and famous TV series, with some occassional TV movie and film work.

Part 1:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABSO7uyZGW8

Part 2:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXOAzyzm3yY

Is it Robert Drasnin's score for the Daniel Boone episode, "The Ordeal of Israel Boone"? wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  14. LOL, you checked it out, too, huh?

One precious and rare e-cookie for you!

It's actually a good episode. I wasn't particularly taken with it the first viewing (deciding what score to rip), but upon the second viewing I started to notice the attention to writing that was made and how somebody got that kid to act far better than we seem to expect from a lot of kids the last couple decades in TV series.

Boone's oldest son, eight years old, he feels is now ready to start learning about the wilderness and survival, but it seems no matter what he teaches him, his son just seems to have his mind in the clouds and admits to probably never knowing as much as he does. While far far from home, they find themselves stalked by a couple of indian's with ill intent and then Boone struck by a rattler, suddenly thrusting the dangers of real life and being forced to grow up very quickly, upon his son.
  15. Mystery Score Clip 100

I've actually reached 100. So much good material out there unreleased. And this will be no exception.

For #100 I've got a nice, albiet short, treat: some wonderful 1970's music by a famous compsoer mostly known for television. He worked with a very famous film composer at least twice and other instances in a different capacity, as well as working on a number of famous and popular TV series, and creating one of the most famous TV series themes ever. He was nominated for awards a few times and even won more than once.

The score is unreleased and the composer is no longer alive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cXlORZzCYg
  16. Reveal.

This is the opening theme to a failed pilot called "Code Name: Diamond Head" (1977), starring who cares.

What's important is it was composed by Morton Stevens. If the rest of the score to the failed pilot is this good, then it's something to look forward to one day, should labels start showing far more love for Stevens than before.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2015 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    justin boggan wrote

You still expect too much.

Agreed. I still maintain that Justin's idea would be brilliant and get LOTS of clicks and activity (lots more, anyway) if he only had done this as a weekly presentation of an obscure cue that he fancies -- complete with introductions -- rather than as a pointless quiz. But he has never, nor will he ever listen to this advice, I think.
    I am extremely serious.
  17. Mystery Score Clip 101

We're going back a few decades to a poor mediocre film, scored by one of the most famous film composers who ever lived.

While nothing spectacular, it's certain fun to listen to.

The score is unreleased and the award-winning composer is no longer with us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc5lE77xn1w
  18. Well, this sounds like early 80s TV scoring to me. But really Justin, safe someone by pure chance knows what this is, you won't get an answer.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  19. Reveal.

The day when people can't identify an award-winning composer who is amongst the greatest that ever lived, which is like two or three dozen composers, is the day some people should probably hang it up. They were a little faint, but the sounds were there.

This is from a TV movie from 1974 called "Men of the Dragon".

A boring movie about a husband and wife who while visting a friend sees the wife kidnapped and taken to an island full of ninjas (oh yes, it's one of those movies) to be trained to be a perfect woman to be sold off.

The score is by Elmer Bernstein.

I just have to make special note of perhaps one of the worst movie scenes I have ever seen. Not only because it wasn't done cheesy on purpose or meant to be, but because the results were just that and Bernstein's score just hightens -- again not intentionally -- how bad it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1SGRWYpKTA (1:08:40, for a whole minute)
  20. justin boggan wrote
    The day when people can't identify an award-winning composer who is amongst the greatest that ever lived, which is like two or three dozen composers, is the day some people should probably hang it up. They were a little faint, but the sounds were there.

Oh for the love of Pete! rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2015
    yeah

Where's the :like: button?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  21. Mystery Score Clip 102

This one is going back several decades to an episode of a TV series. The series is based upon a famous book and was neither the first nor the last series to be based on it.

The series has no score release and the composer of this episode is no longer wiht us. He scored films and television as well as orchestrated for one of the most famous award-winning composers who ever lived.

I choose this not only because of it's colorful orchestrations and old-school television scoring approach, but because the aniversary of the composer's death was not too long ago, he's not gotten any attention by labels in so long I can't even recall a release in a decade or more, and the two-fer: this is currently his last known score and it was the only episode of the seires he is known to have scored (every episode isn't up on youtube yet, so I could only solve half of them and add the submissions to IMDb).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vd56Bek5E4
  22. Reveal.

This is an episode of the TV series "Swiss Family Robinson", from 1975. It last one season. I've submitted as many composer credits as I could for the series, using Youtube loads. Richard LaSalle did multiple episodes, some have no compsoer credited, but this particular was scored by Arthur Morton.

The Robinson family is awakened to the sound of canon fire and find what turns out to be a British ship, off the island, with soldiers coming a shore. However, their dreams of rescue, aren't quite what they had hoped for.

The episode in question:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05FVGEORfW8

Got a goodie coming up in a few minutes.
  23. Mystery Score Clip 103

I remember early on there were a few complaints I didn't do enough foreign films, if any at all. Well, here you go.

The score is unreleased and the compsoer is no longer with us. I can't say I know if he was famous overseas, but he was a famous overseas composer for score fans in the U.S.

This was one of the last scores he did before he retired. I have to apologize in advance for the sound quality -- it was the best I could find.

This film goes back a number of decades. Teh director appears to still be alive and even wrote a film just back in 2012.

Hopefully one day a label like Quartet or Beat, will try and do this score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61XSDuUuz8w
  24. What do you mean "foreign", isn't this a Belgian board? wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  25. Reveal.

This is from a 1975 film called "La Regenta".

There's no plot summary on IMDb and I can't speak the language, but best I can tell a religious woman lusts for and falls for a man of the cloth, but it doesn't go so well.

The score is by the late Angelo Francesco Lavagnino.
  26. If it's of any interest, I was finally able to complete the scoring credits to "Spencer's Pilots" -- somebody loaded all the episodes to Youtube, albeit in German. The tallies:

Jerrold Immel (1)
    Bruce Broughton (1, "The Crop Duster", which was also tracked in another episode)
    Morton Stevens (2)
    Harry Geller (1)
    Dick DeBenedictis (1, "The Prisoner")

William Broughton was not credited. Since he was alsoi doing his own TV series scoring back then, I'm going to assume he did a partial episode score and didn't get credit.

Of particular note: the jazzy/funky orchestral mixed score by Broughton. I thought that one episode of "CHiPs" he did was his only funky episodic TV effort but I was wrong.

Immel didn't do the pilot, he did the second episode. The pilot was of course by Stevens, who provided the wonderful theme music.

I haven't had a chance to listen to it or Geller's effort yet.

I believe the complete episode scores would fit on to one CD. One totally awesome CD, if it ever happened.

justin boggan wrote
    There were eleven episodes total (that final has no credited composer). Aside from his score, Jerrold Immel is credited for the pilot on IMDb. An excellent little site called Film Score Rundowns shows the composers to be (he goes into studio archives sometimes, and collections, and looks at paper work):

Jerrold Immel
    Bruce Broughton (also credited as a music supervisor on the episodes)
    William Broughton (yes, his brother, who's done a tiny bit of scoring)
    Morton Stevens
    Harry Geller
    Dick DeBenedictis

An impressive line-up for a short-lived series, and with the excellent Stevens' score, and that Immel often did excellent episodic work, there's probably a wealth of wonderful unheard TV scoring there. Something about certain settings brings out good scores from composers: space, flying, landscapes, under water, etc.
  27. For those curious, somebody uploaded all the episodes this month of "Mrs. Columbo" with the edn credits, so I've been able to solve the composer credits.

John Cacavas scored all but one episode, season two's "Falling Star", which was by Charles R. Cassey.

If you're curious about the show, here's the pilot:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekR_5UHugeM
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2015
    justin boggan wrote
    John Cacavas scored all but one episode, season two's "Falling Star", which was by Charles R. Cassey.

Oh, Charles R. Cassey, you say! I have all his CD's!
    I am extremely serious.