• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. You're closer in more more than one way than you know, though you've not nailed the title yet.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2012
    I'm plumb out of titles for the time being - perhaps another member can continue guessing where I've left off?
  2. The composer also worked in the western genre for a well known TV show, scoring very few episodes.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. Reveal time.

The composer is Dave Grusin.

The film, originally titled "Willie Boy", had a troubled composer passed, with not one but two rejected scores. First going throw Jimmy Webb, which would have made it Webb's first [known] film score (interstingly enough, his second score was also rejected the next year, for Love Story"), then going through Patrick Williams, whom I believe is an friend of Grusin's.
    The film was re-titled "Tell Them Willie Boy Is Here" and settled with it's third composer.

The film is a fairly solid work, with good writing and casting.

Grusin's score isn't overly long (unless some of it was dropped from the film) and as a result I would say there's probably about 30 to 40 minutes in it. Assuming both rejected scores are about that length, this would make a great 2CD set.

The TV show I mentioned, was "The Virginian", for which he scored two episodes.
  4. Mystery Score Clip 17:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWwiAAJAuiM

As you can tell, this is a somewhat newer score, though it's not recent -- in comparrison to the passed clips I have done.

The composer has scored very little in the way of film, compared to others like Goldsmith and Horner (for example). But he's done a good deal of television. Half of you no doubt have scene episodes of very popular shows he's scored.

Will reveal Tuesday, unless somebody get's it before hand.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2012
    I have no idea what this is or who wrote it, but listening to portions of this underscore once is enough for me.
    It possesses that post-1983 "juvenile" aspect which has been so beloved by mainstream Hollywood products for almost 30 years by this point (think of Joe Dante movies).

However, the Latin/Mexican "ethnic" music which sets a scene at the beginning of the clip would most likely have been deemed too politically incorrect after about 1992 or so [just think how lauded UNDER FIRE was in comparison to the dismissive indifference which greeted MEDICINE MAN]

For a fleeting moment, I heard what sounds like Simmons Drums, which makes me think of a certain score from 1986.

Nevertheless, I'll ask first if the range in years could be between 1984 and 1991?
  5. I should note the clips are out of order.

Thankfully, not everybody in Hollywood caught the brain-killing PC bug, as in 1998, for example -- this is not the score being guessed -- Revell did his own western parodies a couple of times in the second "Dennis the Menace" film.

I'll narrow the range down: 1990 to 1995.
  6. The year is 1992. The film, "There Goes the Neighborhood".

The composer: David Bell (such notable TV work: "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine", "Star Trek: Voyager", "In the Heat of the Night", "Murder, She Wrote")

I knew nothing of the film -- just checked it out to hear some more by Bell.

Right off the bat I could tell it was being done carefully. The plot is simple, but in this film things are never simple. The twists and turns are ridicuously convoluted -- in a good way; nothing I was expecting when it started watching.

The writing is delightful, the characters interesting and each different. Every single one comes in some useful way to move the plot along -- it's a carefully crafted film.

Jeff Daniels plays Willis Embry, a prison phycologist counseling members. Quickly in the film an old convict tells Embry he's got hidden away millions of dollars under a house, but he's too old to enjoy the money now -- what with conviniently dying of cancer, so he gives Embry the address. In the cell next to tell, one of the meanr prisoners is listening but a cell shutting blocks parts of the address number.

There's a prison escape. And very soon they and Embry find themselves tearng up basements next door to each other in a neighborhood full of noosey neighbors, who are all imperfect, and one of the houses is up for sale.

Really enjoyed it, worth another viewing certainly.

Part one of the film:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTYmTJvB6ig
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2012
    Never even heard of the film, but I've heard of the composer (although only through his STAR TREK work). How about something less obscure sometime, Justin?
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Huuuuummmmm.....

NAH.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2012
    I feel the word "obscure" is subjective, altering in meaning and scope depending more upon one's wealth (or lack of) of viewing, listening, or research experiences.

A film or a musical work which I have been intimately familiar with for over 25 years can sometimes be labeled "obscure" by a younger viewer or listener, much of the time because such titles have become out-of-print and/or out of circulation before the younger person had even been born.

I don't consider Justin Boggan's videos to be very obscure because he has been concentrating on American entertainments scored by Americans. When Mr. Boggan starts depositing excerpts from Polish language cinema in his "Mystery Score Clips" thread, then we're entering more obscure territory.

[by the way, some of Andrzej Wajda's films can be found on YouTube. Check out KANAL (1957) with music by Jan Krenz or maybe SAMSON (1961) by Tadieusz Baird...]
  8. Ah, but to say everything is dependant on your scope, is to throw out descriptive terms that define more accurately your scope, with such examples: "connoisseur", "expert" (in some specified area) and so forth. ;-)

I'm only including films that I watch from this point on, unless it's a CD/CD-R from my collection, and since I only speak one language, don't count on any obscure Polish deposits in here (and no, that doesn't sound dirty at all).
  9. Okay, this one will have just a smidge more to go on.

Mystery Score Clip 18

This is from a now fairly obscure western pilot (no need to hide the genre -- you can hear it). Maybe twenty years ago it would have been slightly more known.

A very well known actor played one of the leads. It went into a short lived series with more than one composer on the series. But the pilot is, of course, one composer -- who rarely gets his just dues from the general score community.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LvrR8JRYVc
  10. Another clue:
    The decade is the 1970's.

Will reveal Tuesday.
  11. REVEAL:

It's from 1976.

It's a two hour pilot for the series following series "The Quest".

It's an interesting watch, some characters are very well done and it's unusual in it's plot, not getting straight to things like today's pilots.

The score is by Richard Shores.
  12. Mystery Score Clip 19:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC6EYidSRss

My second more recent score suite; not as young as the other, but close. Composer is famous right now, but that wasn't always so.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2012
    I only listened to the first few minutes ( nice too ), sounds like Basil Poledouris.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    sounds like Basil Poledouris.

biggrin
    Indeed!

But I can't place the composer either. Without any further info I would be tempted to think of David Whitaker....but I guess that's too old school?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Whitaker did so few film scores, I very much doubt it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Plus he's hardly "famous", even in soundtrack circles.
    It was just the very first association that popped into my head.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  13. The clip shouts "Howard Shore" loud and clear!!

If it is then I have no idea what it could be. I could just go to imdb.com and just list late-70s/early-80s titles...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  14. Not Poledouris, but FalkirkBairn has the composer nailed.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2012
    In that case I'll take a shot at AN INNOCENT MAN?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2012
    Why? For the love of God, WHYYYYYyyyyy?
  15. Timmer wrote
    In that case I'll take a shot at AN INNOCENT MAN?

Swing and a miss. I'll reveal tomorrow unless somebody gets it first.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2012
    Justin Boggan is "Guilty As Sin" for posting portions of one of Sidney Lumet's least directorial efforts!

Who was Shore's orchestrator on this one, Justin? smile
  16. He.

Yes, indeed, "Guilty As Sin".

Starring Don Johnson as a man who hires Rebecca De Mornay, playing a good attorny, to defend himself for being accused of kiling his wife.

Things turn very south and it's now a struggle to save her life and stay a step ahead of Johnson.

A dramatic, and well done film. I would be far from calling it a "least" of Lumet's.

Nobody was credited for orchestration on the film, though -- I would say -- about 97% of Shore's scores are solely orchestrated by himself, with only rare instances here and there of others stepping in.

There score has not been released on CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Yeah, there are "worse' movies by Lumet according to critics - "Gloria", for example, which I never watched.
    I did see "Guilty As Sin" sometime during the 1990s, but didn't think highly of it (like most people at the time).

For me, Lumet's "best" will always be his early black-and-white films from the late-1950s and early-1960s.
    You should've posted mystery score clips from Lumet's "Fail-Safe" or "The Hill" - nobody would be able to guess who wrote those scores! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2012 edited
    I haven't seen Fail-Safe but THE HILL is very good. Are you sure there isn't any 'source' music in that film Mr Cobweb? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    shocked
    You haven't seen Fail-safe??

Easily the most harrowing cold war/atomic threat movie I have *ever* seen, bar none.
    It cause Henry Fonda to be my favourite American president ever, until Martin Sheen came along in the West Wing....and it's still a tie!