• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2012
    Timmer wrote
    I haven't seen Fail-Safe but THE HILL is very good. Are you sure there isn't any 'source' music in that film Mr Cobweb? wink

Be our guest, Timmer, and tell us who the composer was who wrote the lyrics for all those rioting male prisoners ...

[I suspect that the only reason why Timmer saw THE HILL was to see Sean Connery without a score by his beloved John Barry. If Henry Fonda or Walter Matthau played James Bond, rest assured that Timmer would then watch FAIL-SAFE! biggrin ]
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2012 edited
    Both THE HILL and FAIL SAFE didn't have scores because John Barry wasn't available.

Do keep up eh? biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2012
    Martijn wrote
    shocked
    You haven't seen Fail-safe??

Easily the most harrowing cold war/atomic threat movie I have *ever* seen, bar none.
    It cause Henry Fonda to be my favourite American president ever, until Martin Sheen came along in the West Wing....and it's still a tie!

Having just read about the film on Wiki I realise that I have seen the film but it was a long time ago, I'd appreciate seeing it far more now.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Mystery Score Clip 20:

We reach the big two zero with a noted composer and orchestrator, in a genre that will be obvious when the first track opens.

I ripped too much score from the film, so I had to break it up into two videos (20min size limit on my account).
    Features what has become one of my favorite building dramatic cues, ever.

I'm thinking as many people as myself haven't heard this one before, so it may be a refreshing surprise. So, enjoy this very enjoyable score from decades ago.

Part 1:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63vAZN4AlZI

Part 2:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ3bnQgBlAc
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. I'm only a minute into the first track and it sounds incredibly James-Bondy to me.
    So maybe Barry?
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
  3. Nope. smile
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2012
    Skating_Lientje wrote
    I'm only a minute into the first track and it sounds incredibly James-Bondy to me.
    So maybe Barry?

It does have a little Barryesque to it, yeah.

Justin, this is a score I've wanted a CD release of for a lonnnnnnnnnnng time. Shall I just say what it is or let someone else have a guess?

biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2012 edited
    As a clue I'd mention that this composer had a hand in some of our most beloved and iconic film scores.

bunny
  4. I'll leave it up to you if you want to give it away now. You win the e-cookie!

EDIT:

Wait -- let's see if Cobweb still has that magic guessing. ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2012
    Let Timmer offer that guess to "someone else" ...

... I don't need no stinkin' guess ... I have this title on region 2 DVD! smile

"My name is Calvert ... Philip Calvert ... before I became Hannibal Lecter and narrated Christus Apollo!"

Forget Anthony Hopkins as a secret agent and watch WHEN EIGHT BELLS TOLL to see Nathalie Delon instead!
    The music is by Wally Stott before she became Angela Morley.

[if you wish to see an early Anthony Hopkins role, then watch the DEPARTMENT S episode "A Small War Of Nerves" with its highly effective music score by Edwin Astley. Whichever you watch, though, both Astley and Stott wrote better scores than John Barry did! wink ]
  5. Congrats, Timmer on the guess.

This excellent score, which I think is about 40 minutes in the film (sounds like some may have been dilaed out in some cues, so possibly more) has never been released on cD. Baffling. Morley's compilation film music CD, of re-recorded pieces, contains the Main Title.

Morley's colorful orchestrations, various emotional gambits, and sense of dramatic writing are on top display here.

The building dramatic cue, as mentioned is in Suite 2. It begins soft and just keeps moving into more more intense and dramaticterritory before the under water battle. The intense flow of the music dissapates as Philip gaets back to the surface, and the nerverous music has a beautiful transitions into joyful music just with every so minor changes, hen he breaks the surface and is pointed out. Sadly, it doesn't last -- sounds likethis may have been dialed out.

Most of the scores by the production company, which as I recall is around ten films it made, have been released on CD. The lack of this score on CD needs to be rectified.

The movie is quite enjoyable, too. Simple and straight forward plot, once it's revealed about halfway in, but enjoyable nonetheless. A few good characters, some great lines, and a choppy albeit unrefined, Hopkins is great to watch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2012 edited
    So the title of this film was WHEN EIGHT BELLS TOLL?
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Reading between the lines, yes, I think it is.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2012
    Thor wrote
    So the title of this film was WHEN EIGHT BELLS TOLL?

Yes.
  7. Mystery Score Clip 21:

Is your flux capacitor* getting jiggawatty with it? All right, we're going back in time a few decades.

You know how nobody suspects the Spanish Inquisition*? Well, I bet most people here won't expect this either (though I'd bet two folks know what this is).

First somewhat unhelpful clue: two composers credited.

* = not hints, but rather poor jokes.

Suite:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtEDI1mrWHI
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2012
    Hmmm? Not much idea but the composer could be George Bruns?
  8. Nope. You could say one of the composers is very well known, yet not known.
  9. Clue:

The known composer for the film (the other composer listed, while well known during tha time, isn't generally known as being credited on this film) has probably under 20 scoring credits for film and television.
    Does stages musicals once in a while now.
  10. No idea to be honest. Vic Mizzy was a name that came to mind but that's the best I can come up with.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  11. Mizzy is dead, so nope.
  12. The film stars a very famous person. It's a comedy, though it has other aspects mixed in.
  13. I guess cobweb won't be getting his delicious e-cookie this time!

I'll reveal in a couple hours.
  14. The star is Bob Hope, the film is "Call Me Bwana".

The score is credited to, in this order:

Muir Mathieson and Monty Norman

Hope stars as a man who lied about his trip to an obscure African area with a tribe full off odd customs to sell books.

When a government vehicle returning from the Moon, full of vital information (no doubt pictures of rocks), accidently lands in that area, they recruit Matt [Hope] to help navigate the area and handle the tribe before the Russians get there first.

For what it was during its time, it might have been funny, but now it's shown its real colors: a silly comedy barely worth the watch.

Like I said in another post: There the "Twilight Zone" suspension of disbelief, and then there's "that's just fucking stupid". Hope setting up tent with the African guides and other people in the middle of the night, and waking up in the morning to find it's right next to a golf corse, with a sign next to his tent, and Arnold Palmer playing golf in the middle of Africa -- sorry, I can't suspend my belief that much. But having said all that, I'll take Hope over Will Ferrell or Jack Black anyday of the, well, rest of my friggin' life.
    The ending was featured badly edited and re-used parts of the William Tell OVerture, with breifly isntances of original score. I'm guessing them junked most of the climax ending cue.

As you already heard from the score, it's a wonderful orchestra work with a recognizable theme that occurs throughout. I'd say the suite represents just a tad over half the film's score.

Having heard this, it's a surprise Monty Norman never got more work. He's become the butt of jokes, but if the rest of his scoring output is as good as this, it's certainly not deserved.

Relgated to stage musicals these days, he didn't score many things before disappearing from the scoring scene. Which is too bad.

I suspect it has to do with the Bond controversy. This film was done by Eon Productions, who then did "Dr. No", for which Norman had two scores rejected; one song/score, and another orchestral work (I'm assuming some of it was left in, as he still gets credit).

After the years of the who did the Bond theme? and Barry becoming associated with Bond and Norman barely getting gigs as it was, my guess is it sealed his film scoring career.

I'd love a copy of the score. I hope it gets released one day. There was not even an LP -- nothing. John Barry did an arrangement of the theme on a compilation.

Here's a screen grab of the composer credits. I suspect pictured center, is a young MV Gerhard ;-)
    http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/3060/montyl.png
  15. Mystery Score Clip 22:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvWgbxGRNFY

Yes, so soon, but what the heck.

Stumbled upon this film while browsing a composer's filmography -- which I was not all too familiar with (I'll have to rectify that).

We're going back in time a few decades again. The film was never particularly known, but I thought it was excellent -- completely worth the time.

Anyway, clues:

Decades ago, composer never achieved the name status that other, like Goldsmith and Schifrin, did. The composer also did not receive screen credit for his score! Which happened sometimes back then. You've no doubt seen his name many times.
    The genre will probably be easy to nail down.

The composer has had only ONE score release, which was on LP. There's one or two other releases that have cues by him, but thats it.
  16. Another clue:

This composer has worked, in one fashion or another, on a number of western TV series.
    Has more credits on his film/TV scoring resume than Basil Poledouris, and Herrmann. Just a few short of James Horner.

One of the stars of the film has a very identifiable face and voice. He is a very well known character actor and that only thing that stopped his acting career was when he passed away.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2012
    Would it help us if you added a clip? smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  17. Crap, you're right! I forgot. Will go get it now...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin

It would have been cool if the hints alone sufficed, but with your interesting penchant for the strange and obscure, I'm pretty sure I need (much) more to go one!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  18. Link added to the post!

I'm eccelctic that way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Sounds good!
    I'm taking a wild stab at Daniele Amfitheatrof.

The sound design seems familiar somehow.
    I have no idea whether the clues fit though! I only know his work through a few compilation CDs.