• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Nope.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2012 edited
    There's a number of composers who have had only one soundtrack LP, like William Alwyn's SHAKE HANDS WITH THE DEVIL, George Anthiel's PRIDE AND THE PASSION, Georges Auric's BONJOUR TRISTESSE, Alexander Laszlo's FORBIDDEN ISLAND, Clifton Parker's DAMN THE DEFIANT, Philip Sainton's MOBY DICK, Mischa Spoliansky's SAINT JOAN, etc.

However, it's rather unlikely that any of these had scored what sounds like a conventional Western in this current mystery clip.

One possibility I thought of was Herschel Burke Gilbert, who had scored a number of television Westerns.
    HBG's filmography, though, yields fewer titles than either Herrmann or Poledouris.

My guess would now rest upon Walter Scharf for several reasons: Scharf did score a number of pictures uncredited during the 1940s and early 1950s (of which time frame this YouTube clip sounds like it's from);
    Scharf's only soundtrack album is 1958's GEISHA BOY; Scharf has had a little of his episodic TV music appear on assorted CD compilations (such as FSM's MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E.); Scharf worked on segments of GUNSMOKE and THE TRAVELS OF JAIMIE MCPHEETERS; IMDB lists around 125 titles to Scharf's credit (greater than Herrmann's 89 and less than Horner's 149) etc.

Don't know what the name of the movie is yet ... I'll wait for a response from J. Boggan before going on with my Scharf theory...
  2. None of the composer's you mentioned, but you're getting warmer, and one of the decades you mentioned is it.

Unrelated to the mystery clip:

You might, by the way, be confusing Scharf with somebody else in regards to "Gunsmoke" -- he's not credited on a single episode.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2012 edited
    Your right - I'm sorry, I meant BONANZA but typed GUNSMOKE instead...
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2012
    Would this music be by Roy Webb?
  3. No, not Webb.

But Scharf and the mystery composer have crossed paths a number of times, in one function or another...

If curious, by the way, here's a composer listing for "Gunsmoke" -- put together by myself and other fans by watching the end credits:
    http://www.tvscoring.150m.com/Gunsmoke.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Maybe it's by Hans J. Salter?
  4. Nope. But the two both worked briefly on a show, different episodes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    ...I'm out of guesses for tonight.

When is Justin's big reveal scheduled to be?
  5. I can reveal in a couple hours or hold off until tomorrow -- I'll let you guys choose.

Since it's not far off anyway, I will say this composer has a large amount of "music supervisor" credits as well -- greater in number than his composing credits.

The battle for the e-cookie rages! Whom will it be?! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    ...may as well reveal in 2 hours ... smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm flumoxed? William Lava? David Raksin?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Screw it -- it's been two hours. ;-)

The year is 1958.

The very recognizable face and voice goes with a great character actor named Walter Matthau.

Watching over parts of the film a second time record the music, I knew then I was right -- this was a really good film. I don't mean classic, if you understand.

The film is "Ride A Crooked Trail"

The uncredited score goes to Stanley Wilson. The poor guy has just over 140 scoring credits [IMDB count], yet only one on LP.

Joe Maybe [Audie Murphy], a wanted criminal, is running from a US Marshal. During the pursuit, the US Marshal accidently kills himself in a fall.

Joe rides into the town run by the judge [Walter Matthau], since there is no deputy there currently. The judge is stopping everybody who comes in, looking for anybody who might look like Joe Maybe. Maybe passes himself off as the US Marshal, as the judge accidently mistakes him for the US Marshal.

The judge refuses to take "No" for an answer and Maybe finds himself as the town's new deputy. But the judge is a smart man and thigns are further complicated when a women Maybe has pined for, shows up in town [Gia Scala]. To make matters worse, she writes her man and tells him and the gang about the bank vault full of money.

Maybe has a heart, but he still wants the money. One of those has to win out and time is running out.

NO e-COOKIES AWARDED THIS TIME :-(
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    STANLEY WILSON!!!???
    The JAZZ composer?
    The bloke who worked on M Squad with Johnny Williams?
    Wow!!!
    That is surprising! I'd never have guessed in a million years!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. Mystery Score Clip 23

Okay, a little more information than usual for your guessing pleasure. The composer is still very well known today and was famous then. He's actually still alive, though getting on in years.

This is music from a TV series he worked on. The first three cues are from different episodes, then the rest is from one episode.

So, once again strap on your laser-restraint safety belts as we turbo boost back in time (again, not clues) a few decades.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUItdhC2tIE
  8. Okay, I guess some more clues are in order:

The series last more than one season, began in black & white. Almost all the series, except one episode (that I know of).

I think it's been three or four years since we got a limited edition CD by this composer -- not too many before that.

The show has never been legally released on DVD (I don't think VHS either).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2012
    Did this composer, by any chance, spend nine months in prison?
  9. LOL -- okay, so you got the composer, but do you got the TV series? So far you've only gotten half an e-cookie. That's 0.5 stars.

By the way, I can only think of two other composers entangled in the law -- any others?
  10. Okay, I'll reveal since Southall apparently only wants half an e-cookie, and cobweb is MIA.

The TV series is "12 O'clock High", and the composer is Dominic Frontiere, whom spent nine months in prison to ticket scalping (Which he made a good bit on); that was actually a reduced sentence, as I recall.

The one episode not scored by him was "The Clash", by Fred Steiner.

Taking place during WWII, it centers on flight missions by bombers and air squad. The one episode that was the bulk of the suite was, "POW (Part 1)", where the hero and his plane is shot down and his men -- who parachuted to safety, are captured by German soldiers and sent to a Stalag complex.
    While there the Nazi commander of the camp takes a liking to the star of the show in regards to battle of wits.
    This Nazi took over the Stalag complex which had a history of successful escapes, now under his despotic thumb, there is a graveyard of millitary men whom were killed during escape.

Being his the duty of captured POW's to make escape, he comes up with a plan that is out of left field (not spelled out on screen in Part 1) and may just succeed in getting them out. But there's also the problem of a rat inside. Yes, there are some vague similarties to "The Great Escape", which opened a few months after this episode aired. In fact, you no doubt noticed some shared traits to this episode score and "The Great Escape"; is it coincidental? I can't say. What I can say is that films scores then were also recorded in advance and TGE might have recorded about the time that episode score was recorded.

You may have also spotted the "Star Trek" (TOS) theme. It's just coincidental. But it's far more coincidental in the episode "Show Me a Hero, I'll Show You a Bum", which was sadly deleted from Youtube before I could get it (there was an FSM thread about the coincdences, about ay ear ago). Copyright claims. You can't buy it, it's not been legally released, and it's pretty much not shown ANYWHERE on TV, yet some studio has to complain about it. Free promotion is a bitch, I know. But anyway...

No CD release as of yet. But with it's soaring music, action peices, milliteristic cues, and of course multiple episodes with the ST:TOS-sounding cues, I think something like this might make a great 2/3CD set. Toss in the Steiner score and there you have it.
  11. Mystery Score Clip 24

We've sling-shoted around the sun to decades passed. Could that vaguely be something resembling the distant cousin of a clue? Maybe!

The composer didn't score as much as one would hope, but had a varied scoring career and crossed from filsm to TV.

You all know the name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opcMHbK0x0Q
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2012
    Domanic Frontiere?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  12. Nope.

Film is in black & white.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2012
    Hmmmmm...Leonard Rosenman?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  13. Nope. Think more along the lines of: you all know his famous name, but you don't know him for famous composing (with one major exception).
  14. Not sure if this will help, but somebody related to the one major example, passed away just a few years ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2012
    Nope, can't place it.
    Clearly a western, likely a B-western, so the hint doesn't really help that much: B-western actors are pretty much dropping like flies for the last decade. smile
  15. I'll have a listen soon so don't give the answer just yet please.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  16. I'm ready to reveal as soon as you've given it a whirl.

Remember when I said you all know the name? Well, maybe that's because on top of knowing it for the major reason, you probably have more than a few CD's with his name on them (but not on the front).
  17. I will take a listen this evening.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  18. Okay.

"BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, something modern, Justin! BLAH, BLAH, BLAH"

Okay, smart guys -- the next mystery clip is lined up. Nobody will be winning THAT e-cookie, I can gurantee you that!