• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. No topic yet for this composer, odd!

Anyway, I'm creating this due to the new release of intrada

21 HOURS AT MUNICH

Label: Intrada Signature Edition ISE1046
    Date: 1976
    Tracks: 15
    Time = 31:22

World premiere release of original soundtrack from taut William Graham dramatization of events surrounding 1972 Black September kidnapping of Israeli Olympic atheletes, subsequent rescue efforts by Israeli comando team refusing to negotiate. Laurence Rosenthal, who frequently works with Graham on numerous TV films, uses modest but still powerful orchestra to underline tense activities, dramatic scenarios unfolding onscreen. Rosenthal spotlights complex percussion section (rototoms, snares, bongos, vibraphone, scraped tam tam, other sounds), focuses on suspense, action inherent in gripping story. Score is just over half an hour, Intrada presents it complete from only known surviving set of 1/4" session tapes mixed in mono as per the film and preserved by Rosenthal immediately following actual recording sessions. Laurence Rosenthal conducts. Intrada Signature Edition available while interest and supplies last!

The Album
    01. Munich Main Title 2:29
    02. First Death 3:16
    03. Schreiber 2:10
    04. The Hostages No. 1 1:19
    05. The Terrorists 1:30
    06. Spitzer 3:34
    07. The Photographs 2:44
    08. The Tunnel 3:45
    09. Anneliese Curtain 0:14
    10. Munich 1:40
    11. God Be With You 2:07
    12. Under The Wing 1:36
    13. Holocaust 1:18
    14. Munich End Credits 2:27

The Extra
    15. Disco Source 0:42
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2011
    I doubt that I'll review this one.
    listen to more classical music!
  2. Rosenthal is a composer who I have not warmed to too much. The 2-CD promos of his film and TV forms the basis of most of what I have of his music.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. THE FORGOTTEN (1989)

Label: Intrada Signature Edition ISE1049
    Date: 1989
    Tracks: 21
    Time = 40:42

World premiere CD release of Laurence Rosenthal soundtrack for James Keach picture set during Vietnam war, starring Keith Carradine, Steve Railsback. Film was initial original film venture for USA Network, helped bring attention to young broadcaster. Rosenthal creates powerful thematic material, surrounds with action ideas, melodic ones as well. As composer explains, main thematic material is not militaristic, nor even American in tone, but more Romantic in period feel, even Wagnerian. Other highlights include zigzag action rhythms of "Escape To Bonn", "The Hunters", which are some of Rosenthal's most exciting cues ever. Entire album was assembled from 1/4" 15 ips stereo session tapes maintained by the composer in pristine condition. Laurence Rosenthal conducts. Intrada Signature Edition release available while quantities and interest remains!

01. Main Title 2:33
    02. The Castle 1:15
    03. The Room / Pepe Tail 1:10
    04. Piano Source #2 / Piano Source #1 1:16
    05. Piano Source #2A 0:52
    06. Westford's Toast / Thunderstorm / Head On - Part 1 1:59
    07. Head On - Part 2 1:42
    08. Pepe's Suicide - Part 1 1:40
    09. Pepe's Suicide - Part 2 / Westford Murdered 2:51
    10. Escape To Bonn 2:28
    11. A-Bonn 1:39
    12. Bonn 0:30
    13. Claudia / Dein Vater 1:58
    14. Street Shoot-out / Miller Dies 1:00
    15. In The Streets 2:18
    16. Roth Tails / Park Meeting 0:44
    17. Leaving Peter 2:06
    18. Brady Remembers / Bao Dvan's Story 4:09
    19. The Hunters - Part 1 4:27
    20. The Hunters - Part 2 / In The Crosshairs 2:34
    21. End Credits 0:49
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2013
    I've done a comparision of the three different Miracle Worker releases.
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2013/09/03/m … mparision/
    Tom smile
  4. Nice summary Tom. I have the promo release and I am happy with that.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2013
    Thanks Alan.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2023 edited
    The new WSA/Ghent album is out soon, and I think it's interesting. A few lesser-talked-about Rosenthal scores included as well, although sadly nothing from MEETINGS WITH REMARKABLE MEN:

Film Fest Gent proudly presents Laurence Rosenthal: Music for Film and Television, the film festival’s 2023 album with all-new studio recordings of selected scores by Laurence Rosenthal, performed by the Brussels Philharmonic and conducted by Film Fest Gent music director Dirk Brossé.

American composer Laurence Rosenthal is one of the giants of film, television and theatre music. His career in film and television composition, which began in the 1950s, spans no less than six decades and has resulted in numerous accolades and awards, including two Academy Award and Golden Globe nominations, seven Emmy Awards (with an additional six nominations) and the World Soundtrack Lifetime Achievement Award in 2023. Highly regarded among film music critics and composers alike, Laurence Rosenthal is an immensely talented and versatile composer, who has enhanced films and television series time and again with superbly crafted scores that are both intellectually captivating and emotionally moving.

For this historic album, the first rerecording entirely devoted to Laurence Rosenthal’s oeuvre, most of the suites have been newly created – in collaboration with the composer and with WSA Advisory Board member Robert Townson – based on the original manuscripts in the composer’s archive. Highlights include substantial suites from Arthur Penn’s The Miracle Worker, the Oscar-nominated score for Becket, the composer’s epic western score for The Return of a Man Called Horse, the Saturn Award-nominated score for Clash of the Titans and the miniseries Mussolini: The Untold Story. A number of pieces have never been heard on an album before, namely the suite from the documentary Michelangelo: The Last Giant, which won the composer his very first Emmy Award, the revised version of the “Main Title” from Requiem for a Heavyweight and the suite from Young Indiana Jones and the Hollywood Follies. The latter is a television film continuing on from George Lucas’s series The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, for which Laurence Rosenthal wrote the acclaimed main theme. The twin cherries on the cake are a revision of the finale from A Raisin in the Sun and a full orchestration of the famous theme from Fantasy Island, newly arranged by the composer especially for this album.

Released during the 50th anniversary edition of Film Fest Gent in October 2023 and licensed to Silva Screen Records, the album Laurence Rosenthal: Music for Film and Television is the 18th title in Film Fest Gent’s continuing series of annual film music albums, containing new studio recordings with Brussels Philharmonic and Dirk Brossé that give some of the world’s greatest scores an extended afterlife beyond the films. Previous recordings feature the work of Craig Armstrong, Angelo Badalamenti, Marco Beltrami, Terence Blanchard, Carter Burwell, Mychael Danna, Cliff Martinez, Mark Isham, Alan Silvestri, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Shigeru Umebayashi and Gabriel Yared.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2023
    Oh, and track listing:

01 The Return of a Man Called Horse
    Suite
    I. The Great Plains
    II. Training for War
    III. The Buffalo Hunt
    IV. The Great Plains (Reprise)

02 The Miracle Worker
    Suite
    I. Prologue: Helen Alone
    II. First Meeting
    III. The Miracle at the Pump

03 Michelangelo: The Last Giant
    Suite
    I. David
    II. San Pietro

04 Brass Target
    Mara

05 Billy the Kid
    Main Title

06 Clash of the Titans
    Suite
    I. Flight to Mount Olympus
    II. The Lovers
    III. Joppa

07 Fantasy Island
    Theme

08 Mussolini: The Untold Story
    Suite
    I. Echoes of Rome: Ave Caesar!
    II. Claretta: Chat by the Window
    III. Off to Capri

09 Anastasia: The Mystery of Anna
    Berlin Bridge

10 Requiem for a Heavyweight
    Main Title (Revised Version)

11 Meteor
    Suite
    I. End Credits
    II. Dubov’s Rage

12 A Raisin in the Sun
    Today, He Came into His Manhood

13 The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
    Theme

14 The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles: “Ireland, April 1916”
    Suite
    I. Welcome to Ireland
    II. Fight in the Bakery

15 Young Indiana Jones and the Hollywood Follies
    Suite
    I. Welcome to Hollywood
    II. Sunset
    III. Runaway Wagon

16 Becket
    Suite
    I. Prologue and Arrival of the King at Canterbury
    II. Triumph in France
    III. Epilogue
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2023
    I got a digital copy of the album two days ago. Listened briefly through it once. It's great (even though I don't gravitate much towards the classic, rambunctious orchestral style anymore).
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Not a composer I would normally reach for - despite having a few of his albums. I may dip into this album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2023
    The new Film Fest Gent CD is available here:
    https://shop.filmfestival.be/collections/cd

Hearing these scores in modern sound quality is absolutely delightful. This album should be a great introduction to some of Rosenthal's best work. But even for die-hard fans of the composer, there should be quite a few nice surprises on this album, too, I suspect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2023 edited
    Indeed, fommes. For me, it was about 50-50 of material I already owned, or had heard before, and new stuff I hadn't sampled before. This is the type of music that the Ghent CDs are made for (as I've said before, I'm more critical of those that arrange music by composers that have a pronounced electronic component -- Sakamoto, Badalamenti, Martinez etc. -- they don't always translate that well into a purely orchestral idiom).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2024
    After having listened to the (excellent) Rosenthal album from WSA lately, I decided to give PETER THE GREAT a new go, the full album, and it still holds up as one of his best. If whittled a bit.
    I am extremely serious.