• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Anybody seen that FSM thread? Apparently there are Family Dollar Store across America that have Varese CD's at cheap, discounted prices (non Club titles). Some people are havinbg no luck, others are finding stashes.

I think we got at least two in my city. I'm going to swing by and see what's hiding and report back.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. The closest one to me is nearly 70 miles away, so sadly I'll be missing out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2011
    Jon Broxton wrote
    The closest one to me is nearly 70 miles away, so sadly I'll be missing out.

Well, the closest to me is about 6000 km (3700 miles), so I think I'll be missing out too. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Predictable, but still...lol
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. I'll make a list, if there are any, and if anybody wants to pay shipping and packaging, they're more than welcomed to let me know.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Cheers Justin. What a nice thing to do!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Crap, I meant on top of paying for the CD. I don't have a job, I'm not capable of doing what certain FSM members do buying and giving stuff away.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    justin boggan wrote
    Crap, I meant on top of paying for the CD.

I didn't think you meant anything else, Justin. smile
    I was just commenting on the fact that you'd be willing to share that potential windfall by simply checking it out and making lists. It's the effort that's appreciated.
  5. Just got back from a Family Dollar here in Minnesota and picked up six titles ($4 each):

1) Zodiac (David Shire)
    2) Evan Almighty (John Debney)
    3) The Good German (Thomas Newman)
    4) Horton Hears A Who (John Powell)
    5) The Other Boleyn Girl (Paul Cantelon)
    6) Igor (Patrick Doyle)

Haven't heard any of these and hope they are good. Two I already had: Constantine and Dragonball Evolution. There were others I was interested in, but decided against because I know little about: Gridiron Gang, Flyboys, Live Free: Die Hard, Sleuth, Shrek 3, Pathfinder, Traitor, Vantage Point, Rush Hour 3, Lions for Lambs, The Good Shephard, All King's Men. They had a few more titles, but I don't remember. Does anyone recommend any from those I didn't get?

They seemingly had one copy of each score except for Shrek 3 had about five and Live Free: Die Hard about three. Which probably supports the theory these may have come from Borders when they went under.

But, a totally unexpected development that a dollar store is carrying unopened and brand new Varese Sarabande scores. Too bad they aren't a true dollar store selling them for $1.
  6. Yeah, we have another national chain called Dollar General, where back before the last five years, we could buy smaller things for a dollar. I used to buy these toffee covered sun flower seeds; a bag for a dollar. Then it went up twice, to $1.25. I made some kind of joking comment about it not being a dolalr to the cashsier and she said prices were going up (no crap).

So, they got the name close. Generally, a dollar -- Dollar [in] General.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2011
    muckle_dabuckle wrote
    Just got back from a Family Dollar here in Minnesota and picked up six titles ($4 each):

1) Zodiac (David Shire)
    6) Igor (Patrick Doyle)

Haven't heard any of these and hope they are good. Two I already had: Constantine and Dragonball Evolution. There were others I was interested in, but decided against because I know little about: Gridiron Gang, Flyboys, Live Free: Die Hard, Sleuth, Shrek 3, Pathfinder, Traitor, Vantage Point, Rush Hour 3, Lions for Lambs, The Good Shephard, All King's Men. They had a few more titles, but I don't remember. Does anyone recommend any from those I didn't get?

They seemingly had one copy of each score except for Shrek 3 had about five and Live Free: Die Hard about three. Which probably supports the theory these may have come from Borders when they went under.

But, a totally unexpected development that a dollar store is carrying unopened and brand new Varese Sarabande scores. Too bad they aren't a true dollar store selling them for $1.

The Good German was a good find for $4. Sleuth would be interesting if you decided to go back. The others are well, they just are.
    listen to more classical music!
  7. justin boggan wrote
    Yeah, we have another national chain called Dollar General, where back before the last five years, we could buy smaller things for a dollar. I used to buy these toffee covered sun flower seeds; a bag for a dollar. Then it went up twice, to $1.25. I made some kind of joking comment about it not being a dolalr to the cashsier and she said prices were going up (no crap).

So, they got the name close. Generally, a dollar -- Dollar [in] General.

That's why I never go to dollar stores anymore (unless, of course, they are randomly selling Varese Cds), because like you said everything is generally a dollar, but not actually a dollar. Kind of defeats the purpose. I've found that clipping coupons saves me just as much and in a lot of cases you get higher quality stuff elsewhere (unless, of course, we are talking about Varese CDs). biggrin

sdtom wrote
    The Good German was a good find for $4. Sleuth would be interesting if you decided to go back. The others are well, they just are.

I'm interested in hearing The Good German (I've bought my own Christmas presents so I haven't listened to it yet). I've been avoiding Thomas Newman scores at all costs the last five years or so because they are so themeless and boring, but the reviews on this one make it sound like T-New of old (in more ways than one).

I love Doyle, but I don't know about Sleuth. How good is the main theme? I generally don't blind buy scores anymore so I have no clue why I bought Zodiac. LOL!
    • CommentAuthorwampachow
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2011
    muckle_dabuckle wrote
    Just got back from a Family Dollar here in Minnesota and picked up six titles ($4 each):

1) Zodiac (David Shire)
    6) Igor (Patrick Doyle)

Which MN store did you find these at? Went to St Louis Park and New Hope - nothing there. Trying Bloomington tonight!
  8. I'm going to try the first one tomorrow. Will report back in the afternoon.
    • CommentAuthorwampachow
    Well I just got back from the Bloomington and Burnsville store in Minnesota. I may try the Minneapolis stores tomorrow. Most of what I picked up were based on movies I liked (but didn't really remember the scores) or composers I like (but haven't seen the movies). Here's my haul:

AvP: Requiem (Tyler)
    American Gangster (Streitenfeld)
    Children of Men (Tavener)
    Constantine (Tyler/Badelt)
    Doom (Mansell)
    The Kingdom (Elfman)
    Land of the Lost (Giacchino)
    Sleuth (Doyle)
    Zodiac (Shire)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    muckle_dabuckle wrote

Does anyone recommend any from those I didn't get?

Get Live Free Or Die Hard, it's awesome!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I liked Sleuth
    listen to more classical music!
  9. wampachow wrote
    Which MN store did you find these at? Went to St Louis Park and New Hope - nothing there. Trying Bloomington tonight!

Chisago City and Circle Pines. I may make a run for the border and try a few in Wisconsin this weekend (although I can't justify buying any more really).

I also picked up:

1) Frost/Nixon (Zimmer) - haven't listend to yet
    2) Beat the Drum (Badelt & Djawadi) ****
    3) Fly Me to the Moon (Djawadi) ***
    4) Gridiron Gang (Rabin) ***
    5) Flyboys (Rabin) ***
    6) The Invasion (Ottman) **
    7) Pathfinder (Elias) ***
    8) Shrek 3 (Gregson-Williams) ***

Definitely have my eye on Live Free: Die Hard (love Beltrami), Charlie Wilson's War, and Sleuth (which both stores had). Really disappointed the stores didn't have any of the other Doyle scores (As You Like It, Nim's Island, etc.) people were mentioning. I'd be excited if I found Prison Break too (others have seen it). Funny, I never thought I'd say this, but I now own three Djawadi scores (and if I add Prison Break four). Not as bad as I once thought his music to be. It's good for what it is.

One thing I noticed about all of these scores are there a very few I would call a "knockout." Most of them are average, but worth the $4. I'm starting to wonder if Varese is dumping extra stock of scores that didn't sell as well as expected, because they are just average scores (it seems like every single score, whether or not the score was good, has been released by Varese the last few years. A good chunk of these scores we have been finding at Family Dollar can't have that big of a following. Maybe this is the consequence of releasing EVERYTHING?). Also, like someone mentioned at FSM there is a very specific way these CDs are sorted and presented at the store (Shrek 3, Live Free Die Hard in the back right). Seems like some thought was put into it. All so weird.
  10. I checked out a local Family Dollar not really expecting to find these mythical $4 Varese scores, but I found a whole bunch! I picked up X-MEN: LAST STAND and HORTON HEARS A WHO (Powell), I KNOW WHO KILLED ME (McNeely), and MONSTER HOUSE (Pipes), none of which I've heard outside of their films, except on Cinematic Sound of course wink

I considered NIM'S ISLAND, MI:III, and THE GOOD GERMAN, but didn't pick them up this time. I cannot believe this deal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2011
    Why is the store chain called 'Family Dollar'?
    I am extremely serious.
  11. It's a "dollar" store, which used to mean that everything in it cost only a dollar. There are other chains of dollar stores besides this one (All-a-Dollar, and Dollar Tree come to mind). Typically these types of stores of full of very inexpensive little trinkets and some non-perishable food items. I remember when dollar stores started selling things for more than a dollar and I thought that was kind of defeating the whole point being a dollar store, but they've stayed in business, so I guess it was a good move.
  12. christopher wrote
    I KNOW WHO KILLED ME (McNeely), and MONSTER HOUSE (Pipes)
    I considered NIM'S ISLAND,

I wish my stores had these titles. So far, I'm 3 for 3 in Minnesota: all of them carrying the Varese CDs, only one with varying selection.

Got into more trouble today:

1) Charlie Wilson's War ****
    2) All the King's Men ****

I'm officially finished Family Dollar hunting so hopefully they don't restock their shelves with different titles any time soon!

P.S. Did you like "I Capture the Castle?"
  13. Thor wrote
    Why is the store chain called 'Family Dollar'?

It really is silly. They are supposed to save people money by having cheaper prices by offering generic products from all over the world (with the occasional name brand--no clue where they get them). Problem is, like Christopher mentioned, the stuff is actually just as expensive at places like Family Dollar than traditional stores. Ten years ago they actually were cheaper by quite a lot and most things were literally $1.
  14. muckle_dabuckle wrote
    All the King's Men ****

Ooh, I wish they had had that one when I was there. I'll check another store on Monday.

I CAPTURE THE CASTLE is pretty good! It has some lovely cues and lots of whismy. Thanks for the recommendation.
  15. christopher wrote
    muckle_dabuckle wrote
    All the King's Men ****

Ooh, I wish they had had that one when I was there. I'll check another store on Monday.

I CAPTURE THE CASTLE is pretty good! It has some lovely cues and lots of whismy. Thanks for the recommendation.

"All the King's Men" has an instantly memorable theme. I was pleasantly surprised. Defintely one of his better scores in a while. I haven't had a Horner score appeal to me quite like this since "The Missing." Sounds fresher or something. All three Family Dollars I've been to had this one, but only one copy per store. Hopefully you have some luck.

I would recommend "Charlie Wilson's War" too. I can't stop listening to it! The main theme is beautiful and instantly memorable. Also, if you want to hear part of Handel's 'Messiah' used as a huge 8-minute action piece/montage you should check it out. Really bizarre track, but worth hearing.

Also, if you have the funds and are willing to take a chance I also highly recommend "Beat the Drum." I'm sure people made fun of the Klaus Badelt/Ramin Djawadi pairing before it came out, but if you must own one Djawadi or Badelt score this would be near the top. 'Musa's Theme' is quite beautiful and instantly memorable. It almost sounds like Danny Elfman's finale music from "Edward Scissor Hands" mated with Randy Newman's mural theme from "Pleasantville."

The only score I wish I didn't buy out of all of my Family Dollar plunder is: Zodiac. So boring I thought I was listening to James Newton Howard (those ones when he is REALLY off).
  16. One store down, no CD's.

Just heard a report on a radio station (not in this state) that police responded to a break in at a Family Dollar and the suspect threatened them with a weapon and they shot at him. So ... any of you have anything you'd like to admit? tongue
  17. I was able to go to a different Family Dollar and found Horner's ALL THE KING'S MEN, as well has James Newton Howard's (and some other guy's) THE GREAT DEBATERS. The former I've heard a bit of and really liked. The latter was kind of a blind faith buy (which is something I almost NEVER do) based on the subject matter of the film and the hope that JNH (and whoever that other dude is) did something good with it.
  18. Two down, one left to go, and no Varese CD's.
  19. Last one had none.

BUT...

Local music store that sells a small amount of film scores, is have a 50% OFF clearence sale.

So, if you guys want to pay shipping and packaging, I'll go check out what's there. They also carry DVD's.