• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I thought for a second and realized none were coming to mind, so I had to double check scoring assignments. I'll share some titles nad breif thoughts, and maybe you will all do so as well.

Lesley Barber: The Moth Diaries
    She does some nice stuff -- listen to the samples at her website. So, I'll always keep an open ear.

Steve Bartek: Rideshare
    Simply because of his work with Elfman.

Christophe Beck: This Means War, Struck By Lightening, Paperman
    I'm a little more cautious as I have not enjoyed everything he's done in the film world as of late, and there's been no complete score that's a cohesive whole I could call completely enjoyable (off the top of my head).

Bruce Broughton: Doughboy
    I find he's a hit or miss with me, but I'll try it out.

Michael Convertino: Wake Wood
    I want to hear his return to scoring.

Patrick Doyle: Brave
    Pixar tends to coach out good scores in their films, and even though I did not like his last two big scores, I'll give this a try.

Randy Edelman: The Greening of Whitney Brown, Na Nai’A: Legend of the Dolphins
    I think both may give a chance for more orchestral works, and hopefully none of that synth stuff layed over folks like the LSO.

Cliff Eidelman: The Big Miracle
    He's back and I want to hear what he's got cooked up.

Danny Elfman: Dark Shadows, Frankenweenie, Men In Black III, Oz: The Great and Powerful
    Not al of his scores have grabbed me as of late, but I'll try them out. Not sure about MIB3, as while the first two scores had their moments, overall they were just sort of messes.

George Fenton: Route Irish
    Fenton has composed some nice little scores (apart from his great BBC specials scoring) which haven't gotten CD releases, so I'm hoping this trend continues (not the "no CD" part).

Robert Folk: There Be Dragons: Secrets of Passion
    Should be fun.

Bruce Fowler: I'm in Love with a Church Girl
    If the music playing on the film's website is his, then I'd like to hear more.

Gerald Fried: 20 Ways (original score for a short film)
    Hell yes.

Philip Glass: Stoker
    Sounds like a match made in ... whatever the hell it would be made in.

Jan A.P. Kaczmarek: Leonie
    He's a hit or miss with me, too, but he does some good stuff as no doubt some of you know.

Mark Knopfler: Dimensions
    Yes, I loved "The Princess Bride" score, so sue me. Hopefully this will be as enjoyable too, and since it's a real orchestra this time...

Alan Menken: "Mirror, Mirror"
    Fiunally, scoring something that doesn't have a bunch of musicals in it (at least, the trailer gives no hint of such).

David Newman: -
    Fuck.

Thomas Newman: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, Wreck-It Ralph
    Should be some interesting stuff, with the second (as I recall) being a Pixar film.

John Scott: Summer Night, Winter Moon
    Always hopeful he's get more work and I can only hope with two scores in one year, it's something of a return.

Eric Serra: The Lady
    I'm a fan. I hope it's good.

Marc Shaiman: -
    I guess his agent isn't saying "Yes!" anymore.

Mark Snow: Just Like Her, Vous n'avez encore rien vu
    The first I look forward to mreo, but the second -- I didn't really enjoy "Couers".

Mervyn Warren: Joyful Noise
    Just curious.

Stephen Warbeck: Angels Crest, Polisse
    He's been on a roll lately, and I hope -- sans being replaced later -- both turn out to continue that roll.

Debbie Wiseman: Lost Christmas
    I want to hear a ncie new Christmas-y score.

Gabriel Yared: Belle du Seigneur, In the Land of Blood and Honey, A Royal Affair
    I can only hope for some beautiful stuff here.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. David Newman: - Fuck.
    That sounds promising :p
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2011
    justin boggan wrote

Jan A.P. Kaczmarek: Leonie
    He's a hit or miss with me, too, but he does some good stuff as no doubt some of you know.

This score was in my best scores of 2010 list.

For 2012 I'm looking forward to:

Every score by Joe Hisaishi

The Hunger Games - James Newton Howard
    Snow White and the Huntsman - James Newton Howard
  3. Sorry, I didn't know -- it was still on the FilmMusicReporter's upcoming list.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorBlu
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2011
    Cristian wrote

Same here! Does he have any known upcoming projects?
  4. Whatever Thomas Newman is working on. He's back, people!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2011
    Blu wrote
    Cristian wrote

Same here! Does he have any known upcoming projects?

There are rumors that Hayao Miyazaki is going to do a sequel to Porco Rosso named Porco Rosso: The Last Sortie. I hope it's true.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2011 edited
    People, people, 2012 is going to be the year of THE HOBBIT, yet it has not been uttered yet! It's the NR 1 score for me, next to THE DARK KNIGHT RISES (Hans Zimmer) and, my second NR. 1, LINCOLN (John Williams).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2011
    http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/ph … 60s_v1.jpg
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    For a second there, I thought that Expendables 2 poster was fake. That's shittest thing I've ever seen.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer

Welcome Demetris beer wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorBlu
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2011
    After hearing those John Carter of Mars clips, I think that is something to look forward to for sure.
    Hopefully all the other interesting composer-project attachments these year will yield great scores too (unlike 2011)

Cristian wrote
    There are rumors that Hayao Miyazaki is going to do a sequel to Porco Rosso named Porco Rosso: The Last Sortie. I hope it's true.

Wasn't that a wrong interpretation of what Miyazaki said in an interview? At least I think I read somewhere that it was. I sure don't mind if it happens for the sake of a great Hisaishi score, but I still hope that Ghibli stays well away from the sequel plague.
  5. Yes, Miyazaki thinks of a sequel MANGA, not animation, for Porco Rosso.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. I'll also ad now:

Robert Gulya: Tom Sawyer & Huckleberry Finn
    Javier Navarrete: Wrath of the Titans
    Thomas Newman: Skyfall