• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Don't tell me Schindler's List is one of your favourite movies because you hardly watch that film. I know it's DIFFICULT to watch but as it's in the top three you should see it at least once every ten years. tongue

I applaud and herald Shindler's List on all levels. I don't need to see a movie multiple times to know it's good, brilliant or weak. I don't want to see Shindler's List again because it is too heavy, and too harrowing.

But somehow I can't place it outside the top 3, just because of how brilliant it is

Yes it is heavy, but we're talking about your favourite films, not THE BEST films. So because you have no intention of ever watching it again (which is a shame) it shouldn't be among your favourites.

I on the other hand will watch it again, and again... it's such an important film I have to go through all that horror every time.

If you've never seen it I recommend a BBC drama/documentary Austwitz : The Final Solution, an incredible piece of TV that takes it right from it's inception to it's horrific conclusion, it makes Schindler's and all movies of that ilk very sanitised, the truth makes for unbelievably uncomfortable viewing, personally I'd make it compulsary viewing in all schools.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    You can find the doc on YouTube starting HERE!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. How long is that documentary?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's in six parts with each episode lasting 60 minutes.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2012 edited
    Tim - I just want to thank you for recommending that documentary to me. My wife and I watched the first two episodes last night. Extremely powerful stuff and it really put my own life into perspective. I've been telling people for the past two weeks how incredibly shitty my Christmas holiday had been... kids sick (being incredibly annoying), had to work, no time off, etc. But what I experienced is insignificant (selfish and petty) compared to what those poor people captured by the Nazi's had to go through during WWII. I felt like I was watching something fictional or the description of someone else's nightmare. Something they had only dreamt of the night before. How COULD this have actually happened? But then the archival footage is shown and my mouth drops to the floor.

I was also blown away by how much I didn't know about what happened in Auschwitz and the surrounding areas and how the Nazi's even forced the French, English and others to round up their own people (Jews) to be sent east to die! Despicable!

I too highly recommend that all have to have a look at Austwitz : The Final Solution It is the most horrifying account of the Nazi's atrocities I've seen!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I've been reading about Stalin lately and he was even worse than Hitler if that is possible. He killed his own mother and father as an example.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    They are all evil mother fuckers!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Glad to be of service Erik. I hope everyone who hasn't seen it watches it. It's hard to get a believable grasp on the horrific scale of it, it is not easy viewing but I believe it's essential viewing, to think that this is still in the living memory of many who are still alive.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    I've been reading about Stalin lately and he was even worse than Hitler if that is possible. He killed his own mother and father as an example.
    Tom

And sometimes it is a necessary evil to get into bed with these grotesque monsters as the Allies did with Stalin.
  2. Timmer wrote
    Glad to be of service Erik. I hope everyone who hasn't seen it watches it. It's hard to get a believable grasp on the horrific scale of it, it is not easy viewing but I believe it's essential viewing, to think that this is still in the living memory of many who are still alive.

I am sure that similar inhuman atrocities are still happening today around the world. These sorts of programmes serve as a reminder to us all of the depths we can go to - whether it be state-sponsored or on a more personal level. The news is still full of horrific events.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

And sometimes it is a necessary evil to get into bed with these grotesque monsters as the Allies did with Stalin.

I read that as 'aliens did with Stalin' at first.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Aliens got into bed with Stalin? Makes sense!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. I watched Tintin a few hours ago, so I can complete the Top 10 with that one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Yes. I agree. I might just add Tintin to my top 10 list now. It was impressive on many levels! cool
  5. The main title sequence, and the chase on the end of the movie (especially with that three minutes long shot) was amazing.
  6. yonythemoony wrote
    The main title sequence, and the chase on the end of the movie (especially with that three minutes long shot) was amazing.

pure Spielberg magic cool

somehow I still can't believe the movie isn't doing that well in America. I know most don't know anything of TinTin, but I assumed the wonderful new technique (and the fact it's Spielberg) would get the job done
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  7. Every film fan should go watch the film because it's Spielberg, not because of Tintin. They might be surprised to learn it's not that different from some other legendary movie hero they know.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2012
    I didn't care about Tintin at all before seeing the movie (and I still don't), but I did love the movie. This is the film Crystal Skull should have been.

In fact, knowing how well Spielberg handled animation, I actually wouldn't mind an animated Indiana Jones film. Some might see it as blasphemy, but then Tintin is the best Indiana Jones film never made... whereas Crystal Skull never should have been made.
  8. Agree with every word of your small print Steven. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I would love an animated Indiana Jones TV series!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Not if it had that shitty Clone Wars stylised look! (Not that I'm against stylised designs, but not if it retards a legacy like Star Wars.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Hell no. But maybe something stylized like THIS! <-- Not bad for a student production.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Hell no. But maybe something stylized like THIS! <-- Not bad for a student production.

-Erik-

No, that's brilliant. Better-looking than the CLONE WARS thingies.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Erik Woods wrote
    They are all evil mother fuckers!

-Erik-

I've heard that Spielberg is going to do a Russian Holocaust film
    listen to more classical music!
  9. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

haha, fantastic end biggrin
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2012
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

That was VERY impressive! Solo's voice actor sounds very 'Harrison Fordish" from his younger days!

As for Steven's comments above on Tintin, smack on! Totally agree!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2012
    Tintin was amazing this year, and so was the score. A magical experience, old-time classic cinema values.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  10. This looks like an interesting read, for fans of Close Encounters such as myself.