• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2012
    Yeah, yeah....you heard that right - I'm starting a list thread on my favourite director!

Except for the first 5 or so, these things fluctuate a bit from time to time, but as of right now, it would look something like this:

1. SCHINDLER'S LIST
    2. JURASSIC PARK
    3. A.I.
    4. E.T.
    5. CLOSE ENCOUNTERS
    6. JAWS
    7. RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK
    8. EMPIRE OF THE SUN
    9. MUNICH
    10. SAVING PRIVATE RYAN
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A Thor top 10 eh? Wonders never cease? biggrin wink

I'll have to have a think on this and get back.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2012 edited
    Mine:

1.Indiana Jones and the temple of doom
    2.Raiders of the lost ark
    3.Indiana Jones and the last crusade
    4.Saving private Ryan
    5.Schindler's list
    6.War of the worlds
    7.Catch me if you can
    8.Jurassic Park
    9.Jaws
    10.Munich

Guess I really like Indiana Jones.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Apart from numbers 1-3 which are my absolute faves the rest is in no particular order...

1. JAWS
    2. RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK / E.T. THE EXTRATERRESTRIAL
    3. SAVING PRIVATE RYAN

JURASSIC PARK
    CATCH ME IF YOU CAN
    MUNICH
    SCHINDLER'S LIST
    INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE
    EMPIRE OF THE SUN
    JURASSIC PARK THE LOST WORLD

And just for fun, this is the order I rate the scores from 1 - 10

1. E.T. The Extraterrestrial
    2.Raiders of The Lost Ark
    3. Jurassic Park The Lost World
    4. Empire of The Sun
    5. Jaws
    6. Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade
    7. Saving Private Ryan
    8. Schindler's List
    9. Catch Me If You Can
    10. Jurassic Park

Of course, at the very top of this list at # 1 would be CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE 3rd KIND but I didn't list it in my top 10 films tongue
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    The first three are equally number one for me.

1. JAWS
    2. RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK
    3. CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND
    4. INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE
    5. JURASSIC PARK
    6. SCHINDLER'S LIST
    7. SAVING PRIVATE RYAN
    8. WAR OF THE WORLDS
    9. A.I.
    10. E.T.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Oh, wow... this is difficult. Spielberg is, together with Kubrick, my favorite as well. The most difficult with him is separating the quality from te nostalgic joy and overall 'favoritness' of the film. For example, Jurassic Park has incredible emotional value for me, although I recognize Saving Private Ryan to be the better film.

Oh well, here goes...

1. SCHINDLER'S LIST
    2. ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
    3. JURASSIC PARK
    4. SAVING PRIVATE RYAN
    5. RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK
    5. CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND
    6. DUEL
    7. JAWS
    8. THE LOST WORLD
    8. MUNICH
    9. MINORITY REPORT
    10. CATCH ME IF YOU CAN
  1. 1. Raiders
    2. Jurassic Park
    3. Last Crusade
    4. Jaws
    5. Close Encounters
    6. E.T.
    7. The Terminal
    8. Catch Me if you Can
    9. Minority Report
    10. War of the Worlds

I haven't seen Tintin or War Horse yet. Either or both of those could easily break into my top ten.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I love...

Jaws
    Close Encounters
    Duel
    Munich

I like...

Schindler
    Jurassic Park
    Raiders
    ET
    War of the Worlds
    Saving Private Ryan

So... I guess that's my top ten (but not really in that order).
  2. As it is a "favourites" list I looked at the 14 Spielberg-directed titles I have seen and rated them in terms of how much I enjoyed them. So they are listed in terms of which ones I would sit and watch again.

1. Jaws
    2. E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial
    3. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    4. The Raiders of the Lost Ark
    5. Duel
    6. Minority Report
    7. Jurassic Park
    8. War of the Worlds
    9. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    10. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

The 4 others are:

A.I. Artificial Intelligence
    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    Schindler's List
    The Lost World: Jurassic Park
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. There's absolutely no love for Hook here? sad

Well let me be the only one then:

1. Saving Private Ryan
    2. Close Encounters
    3. Hook
    These 3 movies absolutely drain, stun and entertain me. I'd take these 3 to a deserted island.

4. Schindler's List
    5. A.I.
    For sheer cinematic beauty and importance.

6. Temple of Doom
    7. Raiders
    8. Last Crusade
    For sheer fun and exhiliration

9. War of the Worlds
    10. Jurassic Park + The Lost World (basically one giant dino movie)
    Because these had to make the list too.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Hook, Saving Private Ryan, War Of The Worlds, Munich, A.I. Artificial Intelligence, The Terminal, Schlinder's List, Minority Report and Catch Me If You Can.
  5. Ha! A fellow admirer of Hook. beer
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2012
    I admire it too, but mostly for the spectacular production design, music etc.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Yes, the production design is absolutely fantastic, everything from the setting to the art direction, set design, costumes, just the overall cheerful and adventurous look of the film is totally my thing. Enough to transport me to Neverland, every time. And the actors are brilliant.

But what has always dumbstruck me, where have all these child actors gone and why didn't we see them in anything else since then? Because some of these kids had amazing charisma.
  7. impossible to say, but at least I'm sure of the first 3, the rest I could change over and over again

- 1 Saving Private Ryan
    - 2 Hook
    - 3 Shindler's List
    - 4 E.T.
    - 5 Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    - 6 Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    - 7 Jaws
    - 8 A.I.
    - 9 War of the Worlds
    - 10 Raiders of the Lost Ark
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  8. Don't tell me Schindler's List is one of your favourite movies because you hardly watch that film. I know it's DIFFICULT to watch but as it's in the top three you should see it at least once every ten years. tongue
  9. Schindler's List was a difficult to judge in terms of the favourite list. I know that it is a technically brilliant film and I have experienced the film in the cinema and know how traumatic it can be to watch - this makes it a classic film. But I would not say that I could watch it ever again. Not what I would call entertainment, but almost more a historical document!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2012
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Schindler's List was a difficult to judge in terms of the favourite list. I know that it is a technically brilliant film and I have experienced the film in the cinema and know how traumatic it can be to watch - this makes it a classic film. But I would not say that I could watch it ever again. Not what I would call entertainment, but almost more a historical document!

There are thousands of filmed historical documents, this is a filmed dramatisation.

As such I thought Polanski's THE PIANIST was the better and more honest film, I'm probably in the minority here.
  10. Both are very harrowing to watch, I haven't seen The Pianist nearly as much as Schindler though. Spielberg's film has the most resonance personally.
  11. Timmer wrote
    There are thousands of filmed historical documents, this is a filmed dramatisation.
    As such I thought Polanski's THE PIANIST was the better and more honest film, I'm probably in the minority here.

Well, I really liked Schindler's List, while The Pianist gave me nightmares for days. That movie, or should I say the evilness of some people portrayed in that movie haunted me...

I don't know if 'better' or 'more honest' would be words I would use to descrive the Pianist, but it definitely touched me more than Schindler's List.
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
  12. DreamTheater wrote
    Don't tell me Schindler's List is one of your favourite movies because you hardly watch that film. I know it's DIFFICULT to watch but as it's in the top three you should see it at least once every ten years. tongue

I applaud and herald Shindler's List on all levels. I don't need to see a movie multiple times to know it's good, brilliant or weak. I don't want to see Shindler's List again because it is too heavy, and too harrowing.

But somehow I can't place it outside the top 3, just because of how brilliant it is
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2012
    Yes. SCHINDLER is a PERFECT film, and that's not something I say very often.

Very harrowing, so I definitely have to be in the mood. It made a far, far more powerful impact on me than THE PIANIST, even though that is a brilliant film too.

SCHINDLER is simply in a class of its own.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2012 edited
    Thor wrote

I agree. First time I saw that film, I was shocked. Second time I saw it, many years later, I started to appreciate the skill in making the film. Now, when I watch it, I even admire the photography, the inventiveness in the use of color, the absolutely brilliance of the actors and the many facets of their characters (Goeth is NOT black/white, I discovered on my last viewing, while earlier I saw him as pure evil, so I admire Spielberg for not taking the easiest route, there are many layers to this person), etc., etc. When I saw the film for the first time, I didn't allow myself to look at it that way, but aside of being a historical document and as far as I;m concerned the definitive film on the Holocaust, it really also is brilliant filmmaking.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2012 edited
    BobdH wrote
    Thor wrote

I agree. First time I saw that film, I was shocked. Second time I saw it, many years later, I started to appreciate the skill in making the film. Now, when I watch it, I even admire the photography, the inventiveness in the use of color, the absolutely brilliance of the actors and the many facets of their characters (Goeth is NOT black/white, I discovered on my last viewing, while earlier I saw him as pure evil, so I admire Spielberg for not taking the easiest route, there are many layers to this person), etc., etc. When I saw the film for the first time, I didn't allow myself to look at it that way, but aside of being a historical document and as far as I;m concerned the definitive film on the Holocaust, it really also is brilliant filmmaking.

Probably the most successful film on the Holocaust, definitely not the most definitive and I'd like to point out again that calling it a "historical document'" can only be a loose term, nothing compares to the real footage and of that I'm sure we are all in agreement.

I agree that it IS a brilliant ( and truly from the heart ) piece of film making but certainly not perfect as Thor says, the Hollywoodisms don't sit well for that, I'd recommend watching JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBERG, a film that arguably has a better claim of being a historical document than Schindler's and is just as, if not more so a powerful film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2012
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Schindler's List was a difficult to judge in terms of the favourite list. I know that it is a technically brilliant film and I have experienced the film in the cinema and know how traumatic it can be to watch - this makes it a classic film. But I would not say that I could watch it ever again. Not what I would call entertainment, but almost more a historical document!

I agree, I thought The Pianist was a superior film - and I have to say there are a number of films about the holocaust which would rank more highly than Schindler, for me. Its importance probably comes from the high profile it got given the director. It's certainly a fine film - I was very moved by it when I first saw it, though I was 15 at the time.
  13. Here are the ones I can enjoy no matter what mood I'm in:

1) Jaws - may be my all-time favorite movie (never gets old)
    2) Raiders
    3) Jurassic Park
    4) Temple of Doom
    5) Last Crusade
    6) Saving Private Ryan
    7) War Horse

Ones I like, but don't often watch:

8) Lost World
    9) Munich
    10) Empire of the Sun

I've had War Horse on my mind since I saw it last week. Yeah, a lot of the movie was predictable, but it created atmosphere, emotion, and excitement I go to movies for. Plus, it has one of the most beautiful scores I've heard in a long time. I've never seen so many 80-year old women cry in one place (or seen so many 80-year olds at a movie theater) and I think the music really had a lot to do with creating that emotion in people (which is a good thing to me). Heck...I almost cried during the scene "The Reunion" track plays over as well as the finale with the gorgeous piano theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2012 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Don't tell me Schindler's List is one of your favourite movies because you hardly watch that film. I know it's DIFFICULT to watch but as it's in the top three you should see it at least once every ten years. tongue

I applaud and herald Shindler's List on all levels. I don't need to see a movie multiple times to know it's good, brilliant or weak. I don't want to see Shindler's List again because it is too heavy, and too harrowing.

But somehow I can't place it outside the top 3, just because of how brilliant it is

Yes it is heavy, but we're talking about your favourite films, not THE BEST films. So because you have no intention of ever watching it again (which is a shame) it shouldn't be among your favourites.

I on the other hand will watch it again, and again... it's such an important film I have to go through all that horror every time.
  14. muckle_dabuckle wrote

I've had War Horse on my mind since I saw it last week. Yeah, a lot of the movie was predictable, but it created atmosphere, emotion, and excitement I go to movies for. Plus, it has one of the most beautiful scores I've heard in a long time. I've never seen so many 80-year old women cry in one place (or seen so many 80-year olds at a movie theater) and I think the music really had a lot to do with creating that emotion in people (which is a good thing to me). Heck...I almost cried during the scene "The Reunion" track plays over as well as the finale with the gorgeous piano theme.

My god, this post makes me want to see the movie ASAP. And hear the score in (and outside of) it.

While I thought Tintin was a good enjoyable and fun movie, I'm really expecting (and hoping) War Horse to be my favourite of the two, judging from all I have read about it. If I'm don't come out terribly moved by the film I will be very disappointed.

Uhm better not get my hopes up too much then...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2012
    1. 1941
    2. Always

The rest are shit.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2012
    Steven wrote
    1. 1941
    2. Always

The rest are shit.

You forgot...

Hook
    Crystal Skull
    Amistad