• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2007
    No, Jordi did not inspire me to post this musing, but what synthy scores (or orchestral-sounding scores produced on the computer) would sound a whole lot better had the budget allowed the composer(s) to record with a live orchestra rather than just their computers?

And no, please no scores by the guys at MV. They can afford an orchestra most of the time, they just choose not to mix the synths and orchestra properly ... most of the time. wink

Some scores that would sound GREAT had they been performed by a live orchestra:

- Guild Wars: Eye of the North (Jeremy Soule)
    - Chrisophe Beck's work on Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 3 (particularly "Faith's End", "Alt. Willow", "Little Miss Muffet" and "One Last Look")
    - Justice League Unlimited (Ritmanis/McCuiston/Karter)
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    All of them.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Care to make a list or single out your favorites? Provided the list isn't too terribly long.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    All of them.

in fact "all of them" is fully orchestral
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    All of them.

You sir are a King Arthur Zimmer loving wacko biggrin tongue wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    All of them.

Aren't we all.
  1. I actually despise that one biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Matt C wrote

But you have to admit that Soule's synth are most impressive!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2007 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I actually despise that one biggrin

How not unexpected.

slant tongue wink
  2. Well, I hate feeling that a composer didn't want to try to do something intelligent on a project

Derivative, technically rather crappy, uninspired, badly performed (is it me or we have a rather bored orchestra?), lacking diversity. What's not to love about it christmas_biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2007 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote

Derivative, technically rather crappy, uninspired, badly performed (...)

As the mighty Ali G would say:

WHATEVAH
  3. Oh, and to make it clear.

I am a very big Zimmer fan, I just strongly dislike King Arthur and have big issues with Peacemaker and his early scores (not a big fan of Green Card and Regarding Henry, but a great one of Driving Miss Daisy).
    •  
      CommentAuthorNunoM
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2007
    Synthy scores that would sound better performed by a live orchestra?

TRON
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Superman Doomsday - Robert Kral

This would have been one of the biggest scores of 2007 if a real orchestra was used.
    The action cues are very strong but let down here by the synthetic sound.
    This score shows Kral is a very fine composer.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Erik Woods wrote
    Matt C wrote

But you have to admit that Soule's synth are most impressive!

-Erik-

They are for the most part. The brass sections (and maybe once or twice in the strings) reveal the score's synthetic nature, which is disappointing. I mean, Soule got to use an orchestra for his Harry Potter video game scores (and those scores were terrific), and it was really disappointing to see the other scores he did get short shrift in the budget department. "Guild Wars" is an impressive score in terms of scope and orchestration, but it's let down by the fact that it lacks the magic touch a live orchestra does.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    All of them.

Aren't we all.

Speak for yourself! rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Runaway - Jerry Goldsmith

It's not a Goldsmith favorite with most people
    but I'd love to hear it played by a full orchestra.
    Some tracks would be quite brilliant!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    THE PLANETS by Jim Meacock

This was a BBC documentary series about our Solar System, the score, available on BBC records is excellent and it's quite hard at times to notice that it's NOT a symphony orchestra.

However I'd just love to hear this recorded by a full orchestra even though it's EXTREMELY unlikely.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorpmrsim
    Most of Mark Snow's stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Only those scores that were MEANT to be performed by an orchestra, but that - due to financial considerations or other such things - are performed by synths and samples instead. That becomes fake and "mimicry" and neither foul nor fish. Mancina's MOLL FLANDERS comes to mind. But scores that were composed on the synth's own terms should NOT have been performed by orchestra instead, nor those special synth/orchestra prog rock amalgams that Zimmer & co. are known for.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2007
    I can't say I was thrilled with the orchestral recording of Blade Runner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    tjguitar wrote
    I can't say I was thrilled with the orchestral recording of Blade Runner.

Ya... it just didn't sound... right.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2007 edited
    Blade Runner was made in a decade that utilized mostly synthy scores and for that particular movie, the synthy and electronic nature of the score fit for that particular plot and elevated the quality and prestige of that movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Matt C wrote
    Blade Runner was made in a decade that utilized mostly synthy scores and for that particular movie, the synthy and electronic nature of the score fit for that particular plot and elevated the quality and prestige of that movie.

I don't know about that. In 1982 the large symphonic score was the "it" thing thanks to John Williams. For years starting in 1977 film producers and composers were looking for that next Star Wars score. Just look at some of the magnificent fully orchestral work that was composed between 1977 and into the mid 80's. And 1982 goes down as one of the very best film music years of all time churning out brilliant symphonic scores one after the other. While the synthy score was still around and made a major breakthrough in 1981 with Chariots of Fire it still wasn't the prefered style of scoring. Blade Runner was something different and unique. It's a GREAT score.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Can't agree more. I need to see the movie again -- in whatever cut the music works best in.
  4. I'm looking forward to watching the 5-DVD set I'm getting for Christmas and I'll certainly be listening to Vangelis' score. I find it a very difficult score to listen to as a stand-alone but it fits like a glove in the movie - like an additional major character.

It would be so wrong to have this played by a live orchestra. I like Scott's comments in the liner notes for the recent 3-CD release for Blade Runner:

"...there was a rather unusual soundtrack release by the New American Orchestra incorporating an orchestral sound-alike score that came across like a soft "muzak" imitation of Vangelis' work..."

Not particularly complimentary?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. I think that Hoosiers would have not had the same effect, had it been performed with just an orchestra.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.