• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2012
    John Williams THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN
    John Williams WAR HORSE
    Ludovic Bource THE ARTIST
    Alberto Igelsias TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY
    Howard Shore HUGO

And only TWO nominations for Best Song: shocked

"Man or Muppet"
    THE MUPPETS
    Music and Lyric by Bret McKenzie

"Real in Rio"
    RIO
    Music by Sergio Mendes and Carlinhos Brown
    Lyric by Siedah Garrett

Find the rest of the nominations HERE!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2012 edited
    I don't care too much about the Oscars, but I am relieved that Reznor and Ross wasn't nominated for The girl with the dragon tatoo. It's not because I have much of an opinion of the score itself, I'm just tired of the hysterical people inexhaustibly proclaiming this to be the end of film music as we know it, every time an unconventional score is nominated. I'm happy I don't have to hear this doomsday nonsense for the next few months.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    THE ARTIST will definitely win. It's a good score, but I found the film somewhat disappointing. The narrative is simply quite boring. The whole pastiche thing is impressive, though.

I'm always glad to see my favourite composer Williams nominated, but I don't think TINTIN was deserving. WAR HORSE definitely was, though. But I don't think he will win -- I don't see how they can compare to his previous wins - FIDDLER, JAWS, STAR WARS, E.T. and SCHINDLER.

I don't like Iglesias, and I thought TINKER was insanely boring and grating. Hope it doesn't win.

I haven't seen HUGO yet, but I've sampled the score and didn't care for it much. Then again, I'm no big fan of Shore either.

I would have definitely like to have seen GIRL WITH DRAGON TATOO there. Other worthy picks would have been The Chemical Brothers' HANNA, Marianelli's JANE EYRE and Martinez' DRIVE.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Sorry to go slightly off topic here, but I'm quite happy that 'Rundskop' or 'Bullhead' as it is translated in English, made the shortcut for 'best movie - non English category'. A good Balgian movie, which addresses the hormone industry within the beef industry.

Feeling a bit of Belgian pride here...
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Skating_Lientje wrote
    Sorry to go slightly off topic here, but I'm quite happy that 'Rundskop' or 'Bullhead' as it is translated in English, made the shortcut for 'best movie - non English category'. A good Balgian movie, which addresses the hormone industry within the beef industry.

I was actually supposed to have seen this on the film festival last week, but it collided with another film. But my colleagues went to see it, and they were all very impressed. So it's definitely on my to-see-soon-list.

Didn't know you had such harsh milieux in Flanders!

By the way, a Norwegian film was also nominated this year, the short film TUBA ATLANTIC. So I'm feeling a bit of Norwegian pride too! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    Didn't know you had such harsh milieux in Flanders!

Well, like in every developed country you'll have the outskirts of society, you'll have the drug runners (be it in the food industry or out on the streets).
    And this movie is loosely based on a true story that happened 15 odd years ago. So, yes it is fiction but based on some actual facts.

BTW, extra little detail, the main actor (Matthias Schoenaerts) is currently also starring in a remake of another Belgian movie (Loft). The movie has a very good script and broke all records in Belgium, hence the remake in America. Of the cast this one actor got picked to reprise his role. Other roles in the new version went to people like Karl Urban, Wentworth Miller and James Marsden. So it could be a good B-movie, scoring a moderate hit. It's wait and see, because it hasn't been released yet.

So having him in an oscar nominated film can only push the pubicity around Loft as well.

It are good days for Belgian cinema in America...
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
  3. Skating_Lientje wrote
    Sorry to go slightly off topic here, but I'm quite happy that 'Rundskop' or 'Bullhead' as it is translated in English, made the shortcut for 'best movie - non English category'. A good Balgian movie, which addresses the hormone industry within the beef industry.

me too, it's quite an honor. Go Rundskop punk

As for the scores, good to see John Williams on the list again (quality wise he deserved to be on that list). But The Artist will definitely win.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I should add a funny anecdote of coincidence.

The Oscar-nominated, Norwegian short that I mentioned above was photographed by the boyfriend of a girl who worked for us in the film festival I just came back from. During one of our nights out, she showed me a clip from this movie on her iPhone as an example of his work....and then just a couple of days later, it gets Oscar-nominated.

Weird!!
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Skating_Lientje wrote

me too, it's quite an honor. Go Rundskop punk

Yeah right, pride... face-palm-mt

Says he who isn't interested in watching anything from own soil. rolleyes

tongue

Rundskop / Bullhead is indeed a wonderful film, if only for the star performance by Schoenaerts.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    THE ARTIST score will win! I'm never wrong.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Of that list, Hugo was my favourite, both in the film and on the album. I'd like Williams to win for sentimental reasons but I'm sure having two nominations pretty much rules that out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Lots of Belgian connections:
    - Bullshead (English trailer) for Best non-American movie
    - Van De Kat Geen Kwaad (trailer) was nominated for Best Animated Movie, a Belgian-French production
    - The Artist was recorded in Belgium and performed by Belgian orchestras, and the movie itself was also co-produced with France
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2012
    Timmer wrote

I'm hoping that your right.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  5. Meh. Neither of my favorite composers got any love this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Southall wrote
    I'd like Williams to win for sentimental reasons but I'm sure having two nominations pretty much rules that out.

It happened in 1977!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It did but he's been double-nominated a number of times since and hasn't won on any of those occasions.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I saw Moneyball last night and was somewhat disappointed. The problem is I know too much about baseball, especially the inside part of it and Hollywood took over. Most of you won't like it either as it requires a basic knowledge of baseball to understand what James, author of the book, was attempting to explain. I watched Beane played and have had a long talk with him as his father lived in San Diego. The system doesn't work without money so as a result he has never won with it. James was hired by the Red Sox and they've won two World Series but have one of the highest payrolls in baseball so did it really?
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Jim Ware wrote
    Southall wrote
    I'd like Williams to win for sentimental reasons but I'm sure having two nominations pretty much rules that out.

It happened in 1977!

Star Wars was going to win even if Williams had 4 nominations!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Jim Ware wrote
    Southall wrote

It happened in 1977!

Star Wars was going to win even if Williams had 4 nominations!

-Erik-

You can be thankful it wasn't nominated in the same years as Midnight Express or Chariots of Fire. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    kill Chariots of Fire

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    kill Chariots of Fire

-Erik-

Poor old Empire, still, it's not as bad as Star Trek TMP losing to Vivaldi.
  6. Chariots of Fire beat Raiders of the Lost Ark, actually.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I don't believe you, begone charlatan. tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2012
    Timmer wrote

I was being ironic here, I'm always wrong, I thought me saying The Artist score would win would be the kiss of death....wrong! I was RIGHT!!!? dizzy
  7. Don't forget, a broken analogue clock works twice a day. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2012
    franz_conrad wrote
    Don't forget, a broken analogue clock works twice a day. wink

Haha! biggrin