• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2012
    Yeah. We're very close neighbours anyway. We still have to have a drink at one of Ghent's beer bars. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2012
    Change of plans....I will be cutting out Yosemite. Due to time constraints, this will be a city trip rather than a scenery trip (which I will have to take later on, with friends and a car). On the other hand, I hope to visit the Santa Cruz island outside LA while I'm there, which looks absolutely gorgeous:

http://www.islandpackers.com/SCIGeneral.html
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2012
    Thor wrote
    By the way, at this point it would be REALLY useful to know for sure which maintitles members are going (beyond James and his missus), and who are on the fence.

I do not know if I am really a maintitles-member yet. But I will be going.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Caliburn wrote
    I do not know if I am really a maintitles-member yet.

Hmmm...19 comments...not sure if that takes you through the ballot...hmmmmmm
    wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    I attended a maintitles gathering! erm.. sort of.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2012 edited
    Well, that's alright then!

Bregt, what's the official venue for the initiation rite again for this year?
    Top of the Eiffel Tower, right?

Caliburn, bring swimming trunks, a bible, a Monty Python record, a gallon of whiskey, three live black chickens, one dead fish and a really sharp knife.

We'll make you a member of The Club!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    You'll get a free kazoo too!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    oh dear :P The eiffel part not the kazoo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJon Broxton
    I just wanted to say that, as most of you probably know, I *live* in Los Angeles, and will be going to the Williams Hollywood Bowl Concert, the David Newman Concert AND the Fans of Film Music Event, so I will be very happy to spend time with everyone while you're here, as well as providing restaurant recommendations, freeway directions and (if you're really nice to me) maybe even some taxi services around the city in my big gas-guzzling all-American truck! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Cool!

Time constraints may prevent me from attending the Newman concert, but I'm in for both the Williams concert and the FFM event. Maybe I can hang out with some of the guys before the weekend as well, as I'm now starting to get an idea of how my LA days will look. Anything to 'exploit' the locals and their cars! wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJon Broxton
    Thor (and anyone else who is a Facebook friend) - just message me through Facebook when it gets closer to the time and we can figure something out. I actually live in Thousand Oaks, which is just outside LA proper, but it's only half an hour to drive down into the city, and it's easy for me to get around and about to pretty much everywhere. I want to meet as many of you as possible, because I don't think this is an opportunity that will come around too often!

Evening dinners, trips to Amoeba Music, hunting for film composer stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, guided "star maps" tours of composer homes (I'm kidding on the last one). It'll be fun!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2012
    Please will you take me to the Bill Bixby Memorial Bridge?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    And PLEASE take me to Amoeba Music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Will you drive with me into Disneyland while listening to The Omen at full volume?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Will you drive me to Century Boulevard, Victory Boulevard, Santa Monica Boulevard AND Sixth Street? (I will provide a big nasty redhead.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I still smile when I think about us seeing Jennifer Lopez and Stanley Tucci within about five minutes of each other and both of us being far more excited by the latter!
  1. I'd completely forgotten about Stanley Tucci!! That was such a fun trip. Yes, visits to Amoeba Music, Century Boulevard, Victory Boulevard, Santa Monica Boulevard AND Sixth Street can definitely be arranged, and the Santa Ana winds *will* be blowing hot from the north at that time of year, so if you provide a big nasty redhead we'll have all the bases covered!

Actually, I may be driving over the Bill Bixby Memorial Bridge for real over Easter weekend, because I'm driving up to Monterey for a couple of days. I seem to remember it being in Big Sur, just before Carmel? That's the road we'll be on.

There are so many things I still smile about regarding that holiday, I've lost count. Writing "Chas & Dave" in the sand with a piece of driftwood on Malibu Beach was another unforgettable highlight for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Those two weeks really did provide some of the most fun times of my life. The day when we both spent the entire day speaking like Billy Connolly was another highlight.
  2. <whispers> Carl Shutt! </whispers>
  3. Southall wrote
    Those two weeks really did provide some of the most fun times of my life. The day when we both spent the entire day speaking like Billy Connolly was another highlight.

Now that I would have paid to see!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Interesting.
    Me, I'm just very glad to read this all happened on another continent!

wink

j/k
    Sounds like a great time, guys.
    I'm quite jealous!
    •  
      CommentAuthorJon Broxton
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2012 edited
    We also went to Yosemite, and the layout of the park means that, if you do the day-drive through it, you end up meeting the same people at each beauty spot/lookout point. To amuse ourselves, we intentionally kept getting in the background of a home video being shot by a couple who were clearly on their honeymoon, and proceded to do stupid things (like speak very loudly in a way reminiscent of the Big Yin).

I have visions of this poor couple watching this treasured memory in years to come, seeing us, and going "Look! There they are again! Who *are* they?!?" On one memorable occasion I took my shirt off, clambered onto the rocks at the foot of Bridalveil Falls, and pounded my chest King Kong-fashion - 100 feet behind the happy honeymooners, but perfectly in shot smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Let's not forget the lift operator in Coit Tower. We had to stay at the top for absolutely ages because every time we were on the verge of stepping back into the lift we doubled over in laughter. So much to like about him. The fact that the two of us walked into the lift (and there was nobody else in it) and he looked at us and shouted "GOOD MORNING LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!" was a great start, and it just got better and better. "MANY PEOPLE COME TO THIS COUNTRY FROM PLACES SUCH AS HONG KONG AND SINGAPORE. I MYSELF AM FROM HONG KONG. I ESCAPE FROM RED CHINA!"
  4. I am wishing now that Anne and I had gone up Coit Tower when we were there!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. "HALF WAY THERE - SO FAR, SO GOOD!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Alan, you who have been in San F -- what area would you recommend for hotels/hostels? Close to where 'it's happening'? Is that Union Square/Fisherman's Friends (or whatever it was called)? I hope public transportation to various sights is better here than in LA?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    People actually walk in San Francisco and the Tram system is great making it easy access to various landmarks, Fisherman's Wharf, Golden Gate etc.

As for hotels/hostels I'm afraid I don't remember but a good guide book should be all you need.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    Do not park your rental there. It literally costs a fortune.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Caliburn wrote
    Do not park your rental there. It literally costs a fortune.

Unless Marselus or someone else joins me for a rental, I will go completely without car during the whole stay in the US. Despite dozens of warnings that I can't exist without one.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    You cannot exist without one