• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2012
    Caliburn wrote
    You cannot exist without one

True, depending on how much travel Thor intends to do while in the States, a car is not a necessity in San Francisco though.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    To all I say this: tongue

Of course, I may bite that tongue eventually, but untill then....
    I am extremely serious.
  1. If you plan on spending more than a day or two in Los Angeles, and unless you have someone to drive you around, you *really* CANNOT exist without one here. Public transport links and the metro are horrible and take forever, and taxis are extortionate, and the cites are so spread out that walking really isn't an option for most things.

Seriously, from a purely financial point of view, it's probably *cheaper* to rent a car for a few days vs. how much money you would have to spend on taxis and buses, and the time you would waste getting to and from wherever you're going.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2012 edited
    I know, I know.

I still want to try, but if I realize on Day 2 that it's impossible, I'll have to find another way. I hate driving like the plague (I've driven maybe 5 times since I got my licence 14 years ago, and that's mostly in desolate areas), so it really would have to be the last possible resort.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    Alan, you who have been in San F -- what area would you recommend for hotels/hostels? Close to where 'it's happening'? Is that Union Square/Fisherman's Friends (or whatever it was called)? I hope public transportation to various sights is better here than in LA?

I'll give you the benefit of my limited knowledge later when I am at my PC.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Thor wrote
    Alan, you who have been in San F -- what area would you recommend for hotels/hostels? Close to where 'it's happening'? Is that Union Square/Fisherman's Friends (or whatever it was called)? I hope public transportation to various sights is better here than in LA?

All I can say is that Anne and I spent 10 days in San Francisco without the need to hire a car. As Tim said, everyone walks in the city. It is compact enough that you can walk to the various districts and if you want a "head start" there's always the option of the tourist-y tram (limited number of routes - only 2-3 - but do go north-south and east-west). With a combination of walking, boat trips/ferries, public transport (buses & trams) we got around the city - and further afield - without a problem.

As for accommodation, I don't have too much to recommend. We stayed at the Chancellor on Powell St, just next to Union Square which is right in the heart of the city (and convenient for the trams). Looking at sites such as Trivago this hotel's rate is £92.00 per night - probably a bit too steep for your budget? Prices can be as cheap as £50-55 per night but it would probably be better for you to have a few suggestions and for us to give an indication of what the area is like. It is such a tourist destination that there is bound to be plenty of affordable accommodation in the heart of the city.

(As far as being a tourist destination, I only really felt it was too tourist-y down at Fisherman's Wharf.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thanks for that, Alan!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2012
    Ouch....I'm struggling to find cheap hotel accomodation in the Hollywood area for a single person.

Things would be so much easier if I had someone to share a place with. You can even rent whole APARTMENTS for a reasonable price if you're two.

So I have to ask again -- is anyone coming to this? (except Southall, who's travelling with his wife).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I think you best address the Spaniards directly, but they'll probably decide a little later anyway. wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I've been looking at hotels a bit further south in LA (Anaheim - by Disneyland). Seem to be a lot cheaper.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    I think you best address the Spaniards directly, but they'll probably decide a little later anyway. wink

I'm too impatient for that. I'm afraid all the cheap alternatives will disappear if I wait too long. But yeah, I've been in contact with them off-forum. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    I've been looking at hotels a bit further south in LA (Anaheim - by Disneyland). Seem to be a lot cheaper.

Since you have a car, it's probably not that troublesome to stay a bit outside where it's 'happenin'.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2012
    SST peeps are staying in a bit more exensive hotel (~150 bucks a night, damn you labor weekend). A friend of mine is not going so I have a spare bed in my room. If you want to share.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDutchbat
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2012
    Thor wrote
    I know, I know.
    I hate driving like the plague

OK join me then, I fly in on Friday and leave by plane Monday again smile
    wow, that was fun, let's do it again (Donkey in Shrek)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDutchbat
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2012 edited
    But as the number of SST-members interested in coming to the Labour Day Gathering is growing fast this turns out to become a major event. Our organizing member in LA has already secured a number of tickets in one block but probably we have to get a second block as well.
    Especially since I'm in contact with a number of composers (even A-cat.) who are interested in joining us there and have a meet & greet with the SST-group (and Maintitles of course)

The more registrations we have on early notice the more we can do.
    Keep checking the forumpost on SST for more details and news:
    http://www.streamingsoundtracks.com/mod … amp;t=6963
    •  
      CommentAuthorDutchbat
    Jon Broxton wrote
    I *live* in Los Angeles, and will be going to the Williams Hollywood Bowl Concert, the David Newman Concert AND the Fans of Film Music Event, so I will be very happy to spend time with everyone while you're here, as well as providing restaurant recommendations wink

Can you tell me about the Fans of Film Music Event, I don't want it to collide with our meeting in time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDutchbat
    Can we make a resume of MT-members who are attending the Labour Day Weekend Gathering?:

*Jon Broxton (MT)
    *Southall (MT)

*The_Real_Thor (MT/SST)
    Dutchbat (MT/SST)
    Caliburn (MT/SST)
    SiriusCreations (MT/SST)

If anyone is omitted in this list, post it here and I will edit the list.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall is also coming.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJon Broxton
    Dutchbat wrote
    Can you tell me about the Fans of Film Music Event, I don't want it to collide with our meeting in time.

http://fansoffilmmusic.com/

This year's is September 1st at the Beverly Garland Hotel in North Hollywood. Peter Hackman is the organizer, and basically what happens is that there is a small (50-60 people) RSVP-only event where 5-6 composers are in a panel discussion for an hour or so with the group. Last year it was David Newman, Brad Fiedel, Brian Tyler, Chris Young, Lee Holdridge, Ken Thorne, Charlie Fox, and a few others. Then once the panel discussion is over it's thrown open to the public for a CD and merchandise signing, no cap limit on attendees.

Most of LA's film music crowd tends to attend this - in addition to the composers, last year we had Daniel Schweiger, Lukas Kendall, Jeff Bond, MV Gerhard and Matt Verboys from La La Land, dozens of posters from Film Score Monthly and Filmtracks, and even agent Richard Kraft turned up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I hope the MT members will let the others know they're in LA by using the kazoo!Green!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDutchbat
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2012
    Bregt wrote
    I hope the MT members will let the others know they're in LA by using the kazoo!:kazoo:

If you'll bring mine to LA, I will smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2012
    YOU HAVE A KAZOO?!
    •  
      CommentAuthorzirael
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2012
    I'm going to the John Williams concert as well. MT/SST member.
  4. zirael wrote
    I'm going to the John Williams concert as well. MT/SST member.

Looking forward to meet you again zirael
    That's the beauty of music. They can't take that away from you. (Andy Dufresne)
  5. Some of the SST members have booked at the BLVD hotel. This is a hotel near the Hollywood Bowl (walking distance) and they have discounted prices if you can show your Hollywood Bowl concert ticket. See prices with Hollywood Bowl Rate plan

http://www.blvdhotels.com/hollywood/
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2012
    James, have you booked a hotel yet? I'm struggling like hell here. What an expensive city (even compared to Oslo)!
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Yes we have booked there too. Cal and I from Thursday until Monday morning and Dutchbat from Friday until Monday morning
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2012 edited
    I've booked a place to live from August 29th-September 3, the Motel 6 in the middle of Hollywood (walking distance from the Kodak Theatre, Walk of Fame etc.). Cost me $510 for the whole period, but that's CHEAP for the location, believe it or not. First night I'll spend with an FSM member who offered to take me in upon arrival.

After that, I may be staying in LA for a few more days (if I still have stuff to explore) or move on to San Francisco. Those two locations are the only ones I have plotted in for sure; currently reading a Lonely Planet for California to see what else I'll be able to squeeze in (sans car) before I return from LA on the 12th.

Incidentally, I expect the whole trip to cost about $4200 with everything included. A LOT of money for little, poor me -- but I've started saving already. Just an estimate for those of you who who contemplate going. I'm sure Southall has an even bigger budget with his ambitious itinerary.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2012
    Please say you'll be visiting Yosemite?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. For now we booked the plane tickets, car rental and the hotel in LA. We do not know what we are doing after the concerts but we will end our trip in San Francisco, because our flight back will be from there.

Thor maybe we can do some parts together, we can talk about that at the Kraków Festival.