• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2007
    Has anyone heard of or played this Japanese RPG for the 360? It sounds pretty interesting. From the review over at IGN:

"Eternal Sonata has a premise that can be described in no other way than wildly imaginative. You may even be a bit incredulous when you first begin playing, but it won't be long before you begin to appreciate the great care that was taken to ensure that the tale isn't just an exercise in lunacy. The idea is this: Frederic Chopin, the famous pianist and composer, is on his deathbed having a fevered dream. The game takes place inside that dream. The heroes may have a typically anime design, but the idea here is anything but typical. This original concept, along with a colorful and detailed design, is enough to make up for a few shortcomings in the JRPG experience. ...

The world is the dream of a composer and, as such, is chock-full of musically inspired characters, locations, and knick-knacks. Polka, Salsa, Jazz, Allegretto, Beat, and others join Chopin to fight the evil Count Waltz and his imperialistic desires. Jazz fights with a giant sword crossed with a trumpet. Allegretto's sword has violin strings adorning the hilt. Even small scraps of music can be found scattered throughout the land which can be played with agreeable persons you meet along the way in a fun little mini-game. ...

The game puts you in the role of a historical figure. In doing so, it teaches music appreciation and history. You see, the game doesn't just use Chopin's name as a gimmick. It uses his music and life to bring context to what is happening in front of you. The themes, events and motivations for characters have correlations with Chopin's real life. It's not quite obvious, which is why the game has brief interludes, complete with a composition by Chopin, between chapters which inform the player about events which occurred in Chopin's life. It's educational, but it's also incredibly fun and interesting as you piece together what happened in the game and correlate it to reality. Though it's not a direct correlation (What dream is?), it's close enough to make one smile as you realize this isn't just another half-baked RPG plotline."

You can read the entire article here: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/819/819923p1.html
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2007
    I want to. I will eventually.
  1. While I truly think the art direction of this game is second to none, I'm sick to death of playing another fantasy themed RPG, even if the storyline is supposed to be epic. Upon trying the demo, I felt I was playing another pretty looking Final Fantasy clone, but with prettier looking characters and animations.

Right now I'm sticking to Mass Effect, which is equally grand in design and plot!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2007 edited
    I know for a fact that I'll get Mass Effect before I get Eternal Sonata, but I still want to play both.