• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. JOHN WILLIAMS RECEIVES 7 INTERNATIONAL FILM MUSIC CRITICS AWARD NOMINATIONS, INCLUDING TWO FOR FILM SCORE OF THE YEAR

FEBRUARY 9, 2012 -- The International Film Music Critics Association announces its list of nominees for excellence in musical scoring in 2011 with veteran composer John Williams leading the field with 7 nods including WAR HORSE (3 nominations) and THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN: THE SECRET OF THE UNICORN (3 nominations) for Film Score of the Year. Also nominated in this category are Ludovic Bource’s THE ARTIST (3 nominations), Mark McKenzie’s score to THE GREATEST MIRACLE (2 nominations) and Howard Shore’s HUGO (2 nominations).

Williams is short-listed for Film Composer of the Year along with Bource; last year’s winner, Alexandre Desplat (whose many scores include HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS PART 2, THE TREE OF LIFE, EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE, THE IDES OF MARCH and A BETTER LIFE); Michael Giacchino (SUPER 8, MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: GHOST PROTOCOL, 50/50, MONTE CARLO, CARS 2) and Alberto Iglesias (TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY, LA PIEL QUE HABITO (THE SKIN I LIVE IN), TAMBIÉN LA LLUVIA, LE MOINE).

French composer Ludovic Bource has the rare distinction of also being nominated for Breakout Composer of the Year for Michel Hazanavicius’ silent film, THE ARTIST. The category has an international flair with nominations for Ireland’s Brian Byrne, recognized for his score to ALBERT NOBBS; the British electronic duo of Tom Rowlands and Ed Simons aka The Chemical Brothers for HANNA; British composer Michael Richard Plowman for A LONELY PLACE TO DIE, AGE OF HEROES and TREASURE GUARDS and Spanish composer Lucas Vidal for MIENTRAS DUERMES.

The British dominate the TV Score category with the popular ITV/PBS series DOWNTON ABBEY (John Lunn) nominated alongside DOCTOR WHO (Murray Gold) and SHERLOCK (David Arnold and Michael Price). Rounding out the category are the Spanish series ERMESSENDA (Arnau Bataller) and the American HBO series GAME OF THRONES (Ramin Djawadi).

The International Film Music Critics will announce the winners of its Eighth Annual Awards on February 23, 2012.

2011 Film Categories

FILM SCORE OF THE YEAR

• THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN: THE SECRET OF THE UNICORN, music by John Williams
    • THE ARTIST, music by Ludovic Bource
    • THE GREATEST MIRACLE, music by Mark McKenzie
    • HUGO, music by Howard Shore
    • WAR HORSE, music by John Williams

FILM COMPOSER OF THE YEAR

• LUDOVIC BOURCE
    • ALEXANDRE DESPLAT
    • MICHAEL GIACCHINO
    • ALBERTO IGLESIAS
    • JOHN WILLIAMS

BREAKOUT COMPOSER OF THE YEAR

• LUDOVIC BOURCE
    • BRIAN BYRNE
    • THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS
    • MICHAEL RICHARD PLOWMAN
    • LUCAS VIDAL

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE FOR A DRAMA FILM

• THE ARTIST, music by Ludovic Bource
    • JANE EYRE, music by Dario Marianelli
    • SOUL SURFER, music by Marco Beltrami
    • W.E., music by Abel Korzeniowski
    • WAR HORSE, music by John Williams

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE FOR A COMEDY FILM

• PAUL, music by David Arnold
    • THE RUM DIARY, music by Christopher Young
    • TORRENTE 4: LETHAL CRISIS, music by Roque Baños
    • A VERY HAROLD AND KUMAR 3D CHRISTMAS, music by William Ross
    • YOUR HIGHNESS, music by Steve Jablonsky

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE FOR AN ACTION/ADVENTURE/THRILLER FILM

• CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER, music by Alan Silvestri
    • DRIVE, music by Cliff Martinez
    • MISSION IMPOSSIBLE – GHOST PROTOCOL, music by Michael Giacchino
    • REAL STEEL, music by Danny Elfman
    • RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES, music by Patrick Doyle

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE FOR A FANTASY/SCIENCE FICTION/HORROR FILM

• DON’T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK, music by Marco Beltrami and Buck Sanders
    • HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS PART 2, music by Alexandre Desplat
    • HUGO, music by Howard Shore
    • PRIEST, music by Christopher Young
    • SUPER 8, music by Michael Giacchino

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE FOR AN ANIMATED FEATURE

• THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN: THE SECRET OF THE UNICORN, music by John Williams
    • THE GREATEST MIRACLE, music by Mark McKenzie
    • KUNG FU PANDA 2, music by John Powell and Hans Zimmer
    • PUSS IN BOOTS, music by Henry Jackman
    • RANGO, music by Hans Zimmer

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE FOR A DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

• FROZEN PLANET, music by George Fenton
    • HOLD AT ALL COSTS: THE STORY OF THE BATTLE OF OUTPOST HARRY, music by Larry Groupé
    • JIG, music by Patrick Doyle
    • RUSSLAND – IM REICH DER TIGER, BÄREN UND VULKANE, music by Kolja Erdmann
    • THE WIND GODS, music by Pinar Toprak

FILM MUSIC COMPOSITION OF THE YEAR

• “The Adventure Continues” from THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN: THE SECRET OF THE UNICORN, music by John Williams
    • “George Valentin” from THE ARTIST, music by Ludovic Bource
    • “Captain America March” from CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER, music by Alan Silvestri
    • “Final Round” from REAL STEEL, music by Danny Elfman
    • “The Homecoming” from WAR HORSE, music by John Williams

Other 2011 Categories

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE FOR A TELEVISION SERIES

• DOCTOR WHO, music by Murray Gold
    • DOWNTON ABBEY, music by John Lunn
    • ERMESSENDA, music by Arnau Bataller
    • GAME OF THRONES, music by Ramin Djawadi
    • SHERLOCK, music by David Arnold and Michael Price

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE FOR A VIDEO GAME OR INTERACTIVE MEDIA

• CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 3, music by Brian Tyler
    • THE ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM, music by Jeremy Soule
    • L.A. NOIRE, music by Andrew Hale and Simon Hale
    • NI NO KUNI: WRATH OF THE WHITE WITCH, music by Joe Hisaishi
    • SOCOM 4: U.S. NAVY SEALS, music by Bear McCreary

BEST ARCHIVAL RELEASE OF AN EXISTING SCORE

• THE BLACK HOLE, music by John Barry; album produced by Randy Thornton and Douglass Fake, liner notes by Jeff Bond; album art direction by Steve Sterling (Disney / Intrada)
    • THE DANNY ELFMAN & TIM BURTON 25TH ANNIVERSARY MUSIC BOX, music by Danny Elfman; album produced by Danny Elfman and Tim Burton; liner notes by Jeff Bond and Danny Elfman; album art direction by Matt Taylor (Warner Bros Records)
    • DAYS OF HEAVEN, music by Ennio Morricone; album produced by Lukas Kendall and Craig Spaulding; liner notes by Lukas Kendall and Jeff Bond; album art direction by Joe Sikoryak (Film Score Monthly)
    • GREMLINS, music by Jerry Goldsmith; album produced by Mike Matessino and Bruce Botnick; liner notes by Jeff Bond and Mike Matessino; album art direction by Joe Sikoryak (Film Score Monthly)
    • MASADA, music by Jerry Goldsmith and Morton Stevens; album produced by Douglass Fake and Roger Feigelson; liner notes by Jon Burlingame; album art direction by Joe Sikoryak (Intrada)

BEST ARCHIVAL RE-RECORDING OF AN EXISTING SCORE

• THE BATTLE OF NERETVA/THE NAKED AND THE DEAD, music by Bernard Herrmann; conducted by William Stromberg; album produced by William Stromberg, John Morgan and Anna Bonn; liner notes by Jim Doherty and Kevin Scott; album art direction by Jim Titus (Tribute Film Classics)
    • CONAN THE DESTROYER, music by Basil Poledouris; conducted by Nic Raine; album produced by James Fitzpatrick; liner notes by Frank K. DeWald; album art direction by GINKO DIGI (Prometheus)
    • THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE, music by Dimitri Tiomkin; conducted by Nic Raine; album produced by James Fitzpatrick; liner notes by Frank K. DeWald; album art direction by James Fitzpatrick, Damien Doherty and GINKO DIGI (Tadlow Music)
    • THE LORD OF THE RINGS SYMPHONY, music by Howard Shore; conducted by Ludwig Wicki; album produced by Jonathan Schultz and Howard Shore; liner notes by Howard Shore and Ludwig Wicki; album art direction by Alan Frey (HOWE Records)
    • TARAS BULBA, music by Franz Waxman; conducted by Nic Raine; album produced by James Fitzpatrick; liner notes by Frank K. DeWald; album art direction by Damien Doherty (Tadlow Music)

FILM MUSIC RECORD LABEL OF THE YEAR

• FILM SCORE MONTHLY
    • INTRADA
    • LA-LA LAND
    • MOVIESCORE MEDIA
    • VARÈSE SARABANDE

The International Film Music Critics Association (IFMCA) is an association of online, print and radio journalists who specialize in writing about original film and television music.

The IFMCA was originally formed in the late 1990s as the now-defunct “Film Music Critics Jury” by editor and journalist Mikael Carlsson, a former contributor to filmmusicradio.com and filmmusicmag.com, and currently the owner of the Swedish independent film music label MovieScore Media.

Since its inception, the IFMCA has grown to comprise over 50 members from countries as diverse as Belgium, Canada, Cyprus, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Poland, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the United States of America.

Previous IFMCA Score of the Year Awards have been awarded to John Powell’s HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON in 2010, Michael Giacchino’s UP in 2009, Alexandre Desplat’s THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON in 2008, Dario Marianelli’s ATONEMENT in 2007, James Newton Howard’s LADY IN THE WATER in 2006, John Williams’ MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA in 2005 and Michael Giacchino’s THE INCREDIBLES in 2004.

For more information about the International Film Music Critics Association, its members and the list of past awards, please visit http://www.filmmusiccritics.org or contact press@filmmusiccritics.org.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2012
    Jesus! Does no one have anything to say?

confused

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. I like the list.
  3. nice and a bit expected the list. I was surprised to find out that "The Adventure Continues" was chosen for filmmusic composition, and not "Sir Francis and the Unicorn". I thought that cue was universally accepted as the best cue of the score?

In general I agree with this list smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Erik Woods wrote

confused

-Erik-

About what?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Are you for real, Cristian? You have zero opinion on the matter?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    It's a closed list. I look at it, with some nominations I agree with others I disagree. But I can't be a part of that list.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    A closed list? uhm

Like the closed lists of the Oscars and World Soundtrack Awards? wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    You can't be a part of that list? What exactly does that even mean?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    "The IFMCA welcomes experienced film music journalists"

I'm not a film music journalist. So I will have to stick with the fans list.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    A think someone did a fly-by.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Erik Woods wrote
    A think someone did a fly-by.

-Erik-

What do you mean by by this? I think I'm lost in translation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    You don't get it! Just because you aren't a member or experienced film music journalists doesn't mean that you can't comment on the nominations or express your own opinion.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    I know that I can comment on the nominations or express my own opinion (which I already did in the fans list) but I can't vote.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2012 edited
    wall

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorJon Broxton
    Cristian wrote
    I know that I can comment on the nominations or express my own opinion (which I already did in the fans list) but I can't vote.

I don't get it. Are you saying that you never have an opinion about decisions you were not involved with making?
    •  
      CommentAuthorJon Broxton
    *double post*
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    wall

-Erik-

biggrin
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  4. Erik Woods wrote

confused

-Erik-

I could say this: the nominations suggest a broad church sits behind them! wink
    (How else could the score of DRIVE sit next to that for CAPTAIN AMERICA?)

But seriously though, good to see some sort of consensus view across film score commentators. The nominations are hard to comment on, because you've heard it all and I've hardly heard any of it. Something there for everyone. I don't know if it's an achievement or not to be similar to the Oscar nominations, but either way, it's a close year in the top category. Not trying to be snarkish by saying that somehow many categories still manage to miss some of the real gold. And there are curious inconsistences (Iglesias is liked, but not for anything in particular; Chemical brothers liked, but Hanna doesn't cut against some other fairly anonymous action scores).
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2012
    franz_conrad wrote
    And there are curious inconsistences (Iglesias is liked, but not for anything in particular; Chemical brothers liked, but Hanna doesn't cut against some other fairly anonymous action scores).

Blame it on the points system!

-Erik-
  5. Oh I know, don't worry. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  6. The similarity to the Oscars is something that does stand out from the list of nominations. My personal comment to that is that there's a small core of solid scores that have been composed for the more "mainstream" films. Add in the return of John Williams after a few years with a couple of solid scores and there's some good titles for the Academy to choose. I think that the confirmation of their choices by awards such as IFMCA highlights just how solid these scores are this year.

On the comment on composers such as Iglesias who is highlighted as one of the top composers, I can see how he is chosen but there are none of his scores themselves are highlighted. As Erik hints at, a composer who has done several high quality scores in the year (none of which, in themselves, merit singling out as being one of the best) is likely to feature in the nominations - as will a composer who does just one score that is a standout.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Jon Broxton wrote
    Cristian wrote

I don't get it. Are you saying that you never have an opinion about decisions you were not involved with making?

This list was done by a group of people who voted a number of scores. So what is there to comment? It is an opinion of a number of people and you can agree with it or disagree. That's it. It is more fun when you can also vote or write your own list, you know like those threads when a fan post a list of his 10 favorite scores and he ask you to write your own list.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2012 edited
    ^ This. I have my opinions. Everyone else has their opinions, and this is another set of opinions in another list. What's to say?
  7. Cristian wrote
    ...and you can agree with it or disagree...

There you go. That's the basis of an opinion.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Cristian wrote
    ...and you can agree with it or disagree...

There you go. That's the basis of an opinion.

And in this case there is also the place where it ends.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote

confused

-Erik-

I'm really pleased to see the team of Fitzpatrick and Raine get so many accolades.
    Arguably they are among the greatest forces in film music preservation these days.

I'm not entirely sure how much clout the IMFCA has in practice (I usually frown a bit on celebrations organised by the people who produce and vote on the very products the event is supposed to celebrate; the Oscars of course being the prime perpetrator of such self-congratulatory onanism. However it cannot be denied that events like the Oscars do have a strong PR value, regardless of the ironic background!), but whatever gets these guys in the picture is absolutely fine by me!

Here's hoping to see many more nominations for them in years to come!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Glad to see Beltrami's 'Soul Surfer' nominated, although Williams is almost unbeatable.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I was glad to see The Artist receive the recognition that it did. There were three of my favorite scores that just died on the vine so to speak.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  8. Erik Woods wrote

confused

-Erik-

I honestly don't.