• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2012
    I believe we had a topic back in maintitles, but as i was recently going through his spectacularly symphonic and complex THE BARBER OF SIBERIA, i was thinking of asking for any further recommendations on his work.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2012
    The only one I have of his is Urga. Been ages since I listened to it though and can't remember what it sounds like. Perhaps I'll give it a spin later.

Peter smile
  1. Some of the cues on the A Driver For Vera/Mama doubleheader are worth hearing - though I have not listened to it recently.

And is this the same composer who scored Soylaris? If so, then not recommended unless you brace yourself for the challenge!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2012 edited
    Yes, the original SOLARIS is acually quite beautiful in its mezmerizing complexity. In fact, I'm quite certain Martinez listened to the track "Oceans" from Artemiev's score while molding his own for the remake. Has some of the same suggestive feel to it.

Then there's also the bleak and electronic STALKER, for another of Tarkovskij's classics.

THE ODYSSEY (1997) is probably his most accesible, but I've always had a soft spot for BURNT BY THE SUN (1994).
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I've always liked the album he did which contained large sections of the score of STALKER and SOLARIS (along with a cue or two from MIRROR). STALKER's 'Meditation' is one of the simplest, most effective pieces of film music ever written if you've seen the film. SOLARIS is powerful, but I'd sample that album on iTunes first. It's pretty avante-garde and largely electronic in sound, as Thor suggests. Not the comfort music main theme written for the Soderbergh remake at all.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Listening to the Milan disc at the moment, and of the three scores featured on this (Solaris, Stalker & The Mirror) Stalker is the one that I am enjoying most.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2012
    I take it then that the barber of siberia is completely different than the rest of the body of his work?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2023
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2023

I've never sampled any Artemiev so "recent". Thanks for the heads-up.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2023
    I know you're not supposed to like anything Russian these days, but I was sad to hear that Artemiev passed away late last year. It did, however, did make me re-investigate some of his work (beyond the obvious ones, which I already had, like the Tarkovsky work, BARBER OF SIBERIA etc.).
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I don't know much of his other than the more well known titles. As Far As My Feet Will Carry Me and Iskuplenie are as obscure as I can go.

I hadn't realised that he had died at the end of last year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I don't know that, will check it out.

You do have the SOLARIS/STALKER/THE MIRROR CD, right?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Thor wroteI know you're not supposed to like anything Russian these days

I disagree. For one, I still like the qualities of Valerie Gergiev as a conductor, regardless of his refusal to denounce the war with Ukraine, or the absurd concert held in Syria (2016).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    We all hate fuckin' Putin and the government (I hope), but yes -- it should be possible to appreciate the talents of Russian artists regardless. I'm not terribly familiar with Gergiev myself, though.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Thor wrote
    I don't know that, will check it out.

You do have the SOLARIS/STALKER/THE MIRROR CD, right?

I think so.
  6. Joep wrote
    Thor wroteI know you're not supposed to like anything Russian these days

I disagree. For one, I still like the qualities of Valerie Gergiev as a conductor, regardless of his refusal to denounce the war with Ukraine, or the absurd concert held in Syria (2016).

This sort of discussion always crops up when anyone in the entertainment industry (OK so Putin doesn't count here unless you see semi-naked horseback riding as a form of entertainment) are shown to be evil to any degree.

I do think that it's valid to separate their art output from their politics/behaviour.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2023
    Given all this, Artemyev, not counting the Tarkovsky collaborations, which are all sacred and go beyond anything someone might dislike in current Russia, he still collaborated with nationalistic filmmakers and was tied to Putin in recent days. He is not comparable to Gergiev - a real puppet of Putin -but still.... All of it is not as black and white... Then again, both of them have displayed activity, in which the thin red line between politics and artistic autonomy is not that clear....
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2024
    I've been trying to build my Artemiev collection a bit. I've managed to acquire the Vol. 2 of the Artemiev sets, but still on the lookout for Vol. 1. And URGA, and many others. Before I started to explore his work properly, I didn't realize he had such a rich and huge back catalogue.
    I am extremely serious.