• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2012 edited
    I have the Windows Movie Maker that was installed with the computer, but it seems slow and drains a lot of power when I batch in a 2-hour movie from which I need to create clips (the fan goes nuts!).

So....can anyone recommend any good video editing programs that can be downloaded online? Preferably free?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2012
    Hmmmm, that seems unlikely, I fear.

What you would need for more efficient batching and rendering is a program that will address the graphic adapter's memory and CPU rather than your PC CPU...and I don't think something like that is free (quite the contrary, I'm afraid...).

I wouldn't get my hopes up. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2012 edited
    You can get a lot of 30day trials though. Demetris once recommended me Sony Vegas Pro (also for HD movies). An excellent and easy to use too, and those 30 days were enough. It'll drain power too though, like any video processing software.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2012
    I was looking for this too. Sadly I have not found any good free software. There are two programs you want: Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere. Both are beyond expensive...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Damn.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I use Final Cut Pro 7 to put together my classes. An education license will cost you about $700 US if you can buy it through a film school or university. It's expensive, but also very good, and mastering gives you a skill worth having these days. I do tend to rip dvd's in a separate program though.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    But that's for Mac, right? Or do they have a PC version too? I remember using Final Cut a bit back in my media studies days in the early 2000's, but things have probably developped since then.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Ah yes, for Mac. Sorry, that too.
    It has developed. Streets forward, and alas -- in FCP X -- a bit backward too, but FCP 7 is solid.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sony Vegas pro 11 is a no-brainer, try it and thank you help me smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2017
    I need this again. I have Vegas 11, but it's so big and complicated, it takes me forever. All I require is a super-easy editor without any fancy gadgets that allows me to create clips from a movie file, bare-bones (just import the file, select the timeframe for the cut and save). I found one called Thundersoft Free Video Editor, but apparently, I only had a 24-hour trial period.

Please, any recommendations?
    I am extremely serious.
  3. For what you describe Windows Movie Maker should suffice.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    For what you describe Windows Movie Maker should suffice.

Volker

Alas, it doesn't. It's taking up LOTS of memory and is extremely sluggish to work with.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Hitfilm Express is free and has always sufficed for my rather basic video editing needs. It does take a long time to render/export stuff, but I think there's no way around that; it's a CPU limitation, not much to do with the program.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Hitfilm Express is free and has always sufficed for my rather basic video editing needs. It does take a long time to render/export stuff, but I think there's no way around that; it's a CPU limitation, not much to do with the program.

Yeah, I checked that out, but the only way to download it was if I "shared" it in my social media, and I'm not interested in that.

But after 2 hours of downloading, installing and then deleting various "free" programs for this, I found something extremely simple that did the trick -- simply called "Free Video Cutter". I have no idea if it's a trial or whatever, but it will do for now.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Thor wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Hitfilm Express is free and has always sufficed for my rather basic video editing needs. It does take a long time to render/export stuff, but I think there's no way around that; it's a CPU limitation, not much to do with the program.

Yeah, I checked that out, but the only way to download it was if I "shared" it in my social media, and I'm not interested in that.

But after 2 hours of downloading, installing and then deleting various "free" programs for this, I found something extremely simple that did the trick -- simply called "Free Video Cutter". I have no idea if it's a trial or whatever, but it will do for now.

I forgot I had to do that. Made a throwaway Twitter account for the purpose. lol

Glad you found a solution though!