• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Any word on who is scoring this film, which is apparently pretty much finished, but doesn't have a title?

Stars Ben Affleck, Javier Bardem, Olga Kurylenko, Rachel Mcadams with Rachel Weisz and Jessica Chastain in smaller parts.

There was this article, about the composer Jerod Tate working on a Malick film:
    http://www.jerodtate.com/
    ... but it's hard to tell if it's the same one. (Malick has begun shooting two other films with Christian Bale and Cate Blanchett as well.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. What's the point of having a composer if Mallick is going to drop most of his music for classical one?
  3. It makes a nice album of music that feels pretty unique, if nothing else. (At least going on the last 4.)

And who knows, maybe it will even get used.

Besides, by your criteria... most of the Nouvelle Vagues scores would never have been attempted, and the world of film music would be immeasurably poorer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2012
    Can't wait for this.

Michael is right btw; it's film music to satisfy the film and not the fans. If the music compiled for any movie, be it score or pre-existing material - actually works, then this is what's needed. Mallick's both audio and visual worlds created for his films are always majestic.

Michael from what I see this movie has a pretty strong cast...
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Demetris wrote

Certainly, can't wait to see who ends up in the final film!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Demetris wrote
    Mallick's both audio and visual worlds created for his films are always majestic.

yeah

I can't wait for this movie.
  4. BobdH wrote
    Demetris wrote

Certainly, can't wait to see who ends up in the final film!

Nicely done. biggrin
  5. Thomas Newman should score it. I'm actually surprised he hasn't worked with Malick at some point. As good as Desplat's work was, Newman would have knocked The Tree of Life out the park.
  6. I think Newman would struggle, like James Horner, with the purpose of scoring a film only to not have the music used. Desplat seemed a lot more comfortable with this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2012 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    I think Newman would struggle, like James Horner, with the purpose of scoring a film only to not have the music used. Desplat seemed a lot more comfortable with this.

He's FAR less 'Hollywood'-minded than Horner, so I could definitely see a fruitful collaboration between Newman and Malick. He's more into the alternative modes of narration, including having his own music jumbled around or omitted for existing pieces or what-have-you.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. It's not so much that, I just think he would be more likely to be wary of the risk with Malick that your music may not really be used at all. It's an instinct about his personality based on what little we know about him. Any American who has attitudes about the value of their scoring craft will feel this way. I don't think it's a coincidence that it's the Europeans -- Morricone, Zimmer and Desplat -- who have been most gregarious about how freely their work got used. European film scoring is more likely to do that in the first place. Even with his artier films, Newman has stuck pretty close to the Hollywood method.

Still, if Alan Resnais can hire Mark Snow, anything can happen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2012
    Well, if I were to pick out ONE 'Hollywood composer' who would be LESS 'American' or Hollywood-minded that way, it would have to be Thomas Newman. Maybe Elfman on a good day.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Yeah, I just don't think he'd ever do it. He's never done a project where his music was unused to any degree. That's significant I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Well... I wish he'd use Morricone again. A man can dream, can't he?
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    If we are talking about dreams I want James Newton Howard to score it. Oh wait he was supposed to score The Tree of Life and for whatever reason it didn't happen. Bye bye my dream.
  9. At the risk of being really harsh, I find it hard to believe it's anyone's dream that James Newton Howard score anything anymore. The last few years have not been kind. dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sadly I totally agree with you Mr Franz, there seems to be no inspiration to his scores at all.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    We anticipate a new Howard score because we hope that he returns to the style that we knew and loved. There is nothing wrong with experimentation and stepping outside of your comfort zone but when you produce something like THE GREEN LANTERN then, yeah, time to ditch the samples and electronic and get back to writing some solid orchestral material. Fanboy rant over!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Indeed! I want more than 'a couple of nice bits' from something as completely underwhelming as his GREEN LANTERN score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Thomas Newman should score it. I'm actually surprised he hasn't worked with Malick at some point. As good as Desplat's work was, Newman would have knocked The Tree of Life out the park.

But Desplat DID knock it out of the park.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  10. Yep.

I think Newman could do very good things in a Malick movie, too, though.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    franz_conrad wrote
    At the risk of being really harsh, I find it hard to believe it's anyone's dream that James Newton Howard score anything anymore. The last few years have not been kind. dizzy

You better believe it. I'm one of his bigger fans and I disagree about the last few years.

Green Lantern yes, it's a big a disappointment even for me.
  11. Ah, but our beliefs are shaped by our own experiences. wink
  12. I think Newton Howard is the ultimate taskmaster in film music and will do whatever project comes his way, regardless of how enthusiastic he is about it.
  13. Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Thomas Newman should score it. I'm actually surprised he hasn't worked with Malick at some point. As good as Desplat's work was, Newman would have knocked The Tree of Life out the park.

But Desplat DID knock it out of the park.

-Erik-

Newman would've knocked it out even farther. If he was allowed to score only the "Creation" scene alone, and if Malick actually used that music, it would have been euphoric.
  14. Please... what are these recent Newton Howard scores that demand to be heard? I used to swear by the Shyamalan stuff, but even the last of those was a bit of a disappointment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2012
    franz_conrad wrote
    Ah, but our beliefs are shaped by our own experiences. wink

And my dreams are also shaped by my own experiences. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2012
    Ok, so this 'untitled' project is by now officially called TO THE WONDER and will premiere at the 2012 Film Festival of Venice. Which means, the beginning of september. Wow, has Malick learned how to edit fast, or what?

And it's not even known who did the music! Maybe he decided to be realistic about it and only used classical music right from the start, not bothering with an original composer this time?

Either way, I'm looking into visiting Venice for this. I was already considering and hoping for a strong line-up to help me decide, and though I'm a little disappointed PTA's THE MASTER won't be there, this certainly is a pleasant surprise!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2012
    franz posted an update over at FSM, which said that someone named Jerod Tate is doing the score (in addition to all the existing music Malick always puts in). I have no idea who that is, however.
    I am extremely serious.
  15. Indeed, above in this very thread is the link to the article where Jerod Tate was apparently hired.
    But yes, you'd have to say on previous experience that any original contribution would swamped anyway by classical music.