• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2012
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Vangelis - L'Apocalypse des Animaux

God, this is beautiful.

I've heard it's a TV score, so I am putting it here. Creation du Monde is a beautiful work of art.

Great album! beer

Indeed ! beer
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I agree with the Vangelis too, one of my most-often-played albums by any composer (although Vangelis remains a favourite).

We do have similar taste in many things, Pawel, and it continues to please me that you're getting around to some of the favourites I've had for many years.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Sophie's Choice - Marvin Hamlisch

Gorgeous.
  1. I have a friend who introduced me to ambient and more Vangeli, who I started to be more open for since I got warmed up to his more classic works like 1492 (which I heavily disliked initially).

I realized long time ago that while I still love my amount of bombast (though mostly, which I might get scolded for, in the Hans Zimmer vein), I love the more restrained works more as well and this has been happening for quite a while. Then again, I never really liked David Arnold or that kind of music not done by the bigger names anyway.

This is partly why it aches me so much that everybody comments how Dark Knight Rises is Sturm und Drang and forgets the more subtle aspects of the story, just because there aren't many. But there are some hinting at the intelligence Hans has and, frankly, missed out in the scores he did last year.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2012
    Southall wrote
    Sophie's Choice - Marvin Hamlisch

Gorgeous.

It is! An exceptionally good film too though not an easy watch.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Demetris wrote
    It's not that old wink

n.p. JAMES HORNER - Beyond Borders

Nice, relaxing music with a touch of ethnic elements. Kinda like Zimmer's BEYOND RANGOON, only better.

I love all the Chechnya music, especially Part II.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    PawelStroinski wrote
    James Horner - Apollo 13

I love this score. One of my James Horner all-time favourites. Master Alarm, Into the LEM, Carbon Dioxide, Four More Amps - highlight after highlight.

Agree!! Great score.

I recommend you watch the launch again, from the moment The Launch music starts in the film (I believe it's when they are starting to put on their suits or something) and then listen the whole thing. I get tears in my eyes. Spine tingling. It's perfectly scored too. The build up. The moment where Horner's music sounds like actually being lifted off the face of the Earth. I don't know what movies me so much, music or science or great movie making. I guess all those things come together
    cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Bregje wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    James Horner - Apollo 13

I love this score. One of my James Horner all-time favourites. Master Alarm, Into the LEM, Carbon Dioxide, Four More Amps - highlight after highlight.

Agree!! Great score.

I recommend you watch the launch again, from the moment The Launch music starts in the film (I believe it's when they are starting to put on their suits or something) and then listen the whole thing. I get tears in my eyes. Spine tingling. It's perfectly scored too. The build up. The moment where Horner's music sounds like actually being lifted off the face of the Earth. I don't know what movies me so much, music or science or great movie making. I guess all those things come together
    cheesy

I still think Horner is the best at this. With his ups and downs (more 'downs' than 'ups' the last few years), but I believe he is a master providing what the movie needs at every moment.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    I love the movie and the score too smile
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    I'm slowly getting back the mood for film score... lately I've listened to mostly songs or shuffling of a few favorite tracks.

NP: Saving Private Ryan - John Williams

Beautiful.
  3. Marselus wrote
    Bregje wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    James Horner - Apollo 13

Agree!! Great score.

cheesy

I still think Horner is the best at this. With his ups and downs (more 'downs' than 'ups' the last few years), but I believe he is a master providing what the movie needs at every moment.

This is exactly the kind of film score I love, especially recently. I often remarked that I have problems with Horner scoring films because I tend to think he is overbearing in the movies and things like that. But this score is perfect in the sense of both musical and technical intelligence, which I would never take away from Horner, his education is plain brilliant and it always shows, there are simply orchestration details no other composer does as well as Horner does - the way he combines some instruments is just plain beautiful and does it in a way I would never expect to be possible, but there is also the narrative intelligence I am looking for in film music.

This score combines all three. I love how he underscores editing points in a percussive way, the subtlety of the percussion writing in the score (tingling cymbals amounting for exactly 4 in Four More Amps to imitate electric current going through for example) is just amazing. This particular way of scoring the movie, which is very nicely spotted as well (long moments of silence obviously emphasizing the realism of the on-screen happenings, if you notice, sound is used only for closer shots, basically we don't hear anything the astronauts wouldn't hear from the ship). If you know the promo, which can't be legally obtained at this point and which is the best way to really hear the music, minor cues (the nightmare sequence and some delicate piano cue, I think before the launch) are left off it and two other cues (Docking and Carbon Dioxide) are reused in the movie. Beautiful work, also the movie, coming from a director I don't really like so often.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    And now back to my favorite... I haven't played the whole album these days.

NP: Spanglish - Hans Zimmer

It's hard to tell how much I love it... I don't know, I can tell why I love The Lion King but this one is different. It always can make me feel better, and I don't know why. smile
  4. That's a gorgeous score, that one.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. I think it's Hans Zimmer's best orchestrated score. There are just so many details here. And the theme is a gorgeous winner.

Thomas Newman - Road to Perdition

Beauty. I need to watch the movie again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Great movie.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregje wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    James Horner - Apollo 13

Agree!! Great score.

cheesy

It's a great score. I'm a sucker for moody, mysterioso like pieces and one of my favourites is this THE DOCKING ( only available on the promo ), very influenced by Gustav Holst's Neptune from The Planets ( itself the greatest piece of mysterioso ever written and probably the most influential ) and, dare I say, a Barryesque build up towards the 2 minute mark.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. The Docking is an amazing piece of music and so brilliantly works in the film. James Horner is rarely restrained, but here he went with it to the limits (in the whole score). And of course Master Alarm is pure brilliance.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2012 edited
    NP : MIDNIGHT COWBOY - John Barry & Various Artists

A classic score by Barry who also supervised the songs, this is another Barry score where i would so love to have the film tracks.

Oh, and speaking of my beloved sound of 'mysterioso' scoring here's a great track from the score...

SCIENCE FICTION

...music for a film within the film ( and a very grim moment in the film indeed ), can anyone think of any other films where the composer has scored a film within a film?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2012 edited
    Continued in XLIII: www.maintitles.net/forum/discussion/272 … ii/#Item_0
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn