• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2012
    plindboe wrote
    Star wars: Return of the jedi (Williams)

Reminds me why I so rarely listen to Star wars. I worship the themes, but 90% of of the music on these albums consists of underscore that doesn't interest me. I'd be happy with a single CD with concert versions of all the themes from the six movies. I'll have to make an album like that myself from the score albums, but I find it a chore listening to them all the way through to dig out the few tracks I like.

Peter smile

All the respect I had for you after your review of Team America has now been flushed down the toilet!

crazy angry slant shocked

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    plindboe wrote

Reminds me why I so rarely listen to Star wars. I worship the themes, but 90% of of the music on these albums consists of underscore that doesn't interest me. I'd be happy with a single CD with concert versions of all the themes from the six movies. I'll have to make an album like that myself from the score albums, but I find it a chore listening to them all the way through to dig out the few tracks I like.

Peter smile

Hmmmmm? uhm

I have decided not to comment.

Here is PETER ON HIS ESCAPE BOARD
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

Hmmmmm? uhm

I concur with Timmer and follow suit. uhm
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I want to pile up on plindboe too, as it's basically my second favourite soundtrack of all time!

Seriously, though, to each their own.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Oh and by the way, weren't you the one going meh.... sad when Avatar and Karate Kid came out, because you seem to have turned around and I predict it'll be the same for Black Gold. cheesy

I was "meh" on Avatar and I have changed my mind on that score, yes. Guilty as charged but I always felt that The Karate Kid was a very weak score up until "Journey to the Spiritual Mountain." Then it picks up speeds and blows you away and it's those remaining seven tracks that propelled The Karate Kid into my top 10 of 2010.

Black Gold on the other hand just isn't doing it for me. I've had this score for a very, very long time - since about the beginning of November - and have played it countless times and unfortunately my feels haven't changed. Like I said I do like about 5-6 tracks but those 5-6 tracks aren't going to propel the score into my Top 10.... especially a score with such an annoying theme!

-Erik-

Can I suggest then that it's time to let Harry Potter 7.1 off the hook and now declare BLACK GOLD as the 'opposite of good' in your signature? wave
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    A Troll in Central Park - Robert Folk

Pretty good. I like the old-fashioned "Disney sound" to parts of it. A bit of obvious Danny Elfman bleedthrough from the temp track. The synth parts are incredibly naff.

Earlier...

Mirror Mirror - Alan Menken

Pretty good. I like the old-fashioned "Disney sound" to parts of it. A bit of obvious Danny Elfman bleedthrough from the temp track. No naff synth parts on this one though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Hehe, I feel all popular now. punk

Can't help that I don't care much about these albums though. I love the themes, I love the scores in the movies, but on album the underscore just doesn't appeal to me at all. I wish I could appreciate them like you guys do. Most of it though just leaves me scratching my head thinking "how can people enjoy this?".

Peter smile
  2. plindboe wrote

Peter smile

This.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    omgs. A person who feels the same about Star wars as me? I thought I was the only one.

Peter shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2012 edited
    I will agree with you that Jedi does have some cues that meander and don't really add much to the dramatic arc of the score. Some of the cues at the beginning of the score (after Approaching The Death Star) I skip over all the time. And there is an awful cue that Williams wrote for Wicket's discovery of Liea after the speeder bike chase that is grating. But you lop that stuff out and you are still left with one hell of an action adventure score with a lot of dark drama and brilliant themes.

Anyway, you might enjoy the original LP presentation of the score or Gerhardt's re-recording.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2012
    <gnashing of teeth>

Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Hmmmmm? uhm

I concur with Timmer and follow suit. uhm
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. I'll comment:

Boobies.

moon
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thank you. I approve of the above post.

Oh! Wait! I mean

shocked JUSTIN! shocked
  4. Oh, I see, not your thing? Okay.

Weiner.

moon
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2012 edited
    Martijn wrote
    <gnashing of teeth>

Sorry... stuff like Tatooine Rendezvous, The Droids Are Captured and Bounty For A Wookiee are painfully boring. I skip right to Han Solo Returns. Actually, what the hell am I talking about? I never listen to that terribly produced special edition release. I only listen to the Arista box set version with the Disc 4 contents edited into place chronologically. That albums goes from Approaching The Death Star right to Han Solo Returns, which I think is perfect! Not a dull moment on that Arista album!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    Actually, what the hell am I talking about? I never listen to that terribly produced special edition release. I only listen to the Arista box set version with the Disc 4 contents edited into place chronologically. That albums goes from Approaching The Death Star right to Han Solo Returns, which I think is perfect! Not a dull moment on that Arista album!

Aaaaaaah!!! flash
    NOW yer talkin'!
    thumbsup
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I agree with that too (except for the Disc 4 thing, which I hardly ever play).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    I agree with that too (except for the Disc 4 thing, which I hardly ever play).

Which is why I edited the contents of that disc into their respective scores. I never listen to that fourth disc on it's own.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Cristian wrote
    Black Gold didn't do anything for me, Karate Kid is by far better.

Get out.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Actually, what the hell am I talking about? I never listen to that terribly produced special edition release. I only listen to the Arista box set version with the Disc 4 contents edited into place chronologically. That albums goes from Approaching The Death Star right to Han Solo Returns, which I think is perfect! Not a dull moment on that Arista album!

Aaaaaaah!!! flash
    NOW yer talkin'!
    thumbsup

I approve of this post.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : OSCAR & LUCINDA - Thomas Newman

Superb!

I have never heard this!

expect a review soon, but it is indeed quite brilliant. The choral pieces are sublime, but I was more surprised about the rest of score, some strong stuff there too
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Demetris wrote
    Cristian wrote

Get out.

I will, but can I take the Karate Kid CD with me? biggrin
  6. Suite from Cloclo - Desplat

Beautiful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Cristian wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Cristian wrote

Get out.

I will, but can I take the Karate Kid CD with me? biggrin

Be my guest, my friend beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: THE BUTTERFLY EFFECT - MICHAEL SUBY

There are more than a few hints of Thomas Newman and JNH (à la Sixth Sense mode) but I like it. Some pretty lovely stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote
    NP: THE BUTTERFLY EFFECT - MICHAEL SUBY

There are more than a few hints of Thomas Newman and JNH (à la Sixth Sense mode) but I like it. Some pretty lovely stuff.

Love it! The ending is so strong, emotionally, both inside and outside the movie. Thanks for bringing that up, i hadn't paid it a visit for years now!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    How to Make an American Quilt - Tommy Newman

Very good. The theme is pure Newman magic, one of his best.

Mind you, with 26 minutes of score it contains approximately 54 fewer minutes of score than the average Brian Tyler album, so I suppose it must be crap.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Southall wrote
    Escape to Victory - Bill Conti

Not one of the subtler scores in my collection.

Name one subtle Conti score.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    KevinSmith wrote
    Southall wrote

Slow Dancing in the Big City. I like this game. Can we play again?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Southall wrote

Slow Dancing in the Big City. I like this game. Can we play again?

-Erik-

Now that is truly a wonderful piece of music. I must listen to it again soon.