• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2012
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Don Davis - The Matrix

The Varese deluxe edition which I am happy to own. Pure atonal brilliance.

It is. Unfortunately, I lost that cd! crazy
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE BLUE MAX - Jerry Goldsmith

One of his very best, a magnificent score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Listening to Goldsmith's Outland at the moment. Another gem of a score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2012 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Listening to Goldsmith's Outland at the moment. Another gem of a score.

Up until recent times ( perhaps with the release by FSM ) I always thought it was a tad underrated, I agree with you, it IS a gem of a score.

I'd also point out that I think this score also has a perfect blend of orchestra/electronics.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. For me, the expanded release from FSM was such an eye opener. This release made it a much better listen. The additional music added so much more depth to the score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Lawnmower Man 2 - Robert Folk

Excellent action score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: PUBLIC ENEMIES (Elliot Goldenthal)

Not his best work, but understated, which I like.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. That one deserve a expanded release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2012 edited
    Nah, it's fine. wink

NP: LONELY PLANET, VOL. 1 (various)

I got so excited from all this travel talk that I had to play some fitting music.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. There's only 15 minutes on the album. I wouldn't mind hearing the other 10 myself. Particularly if there were any takes recorded before the director started scratching out whole sections of the orchestra on the conductor's score. wink

NP: Assorted Williams cues, from this and that.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. The Hunger Games - James Newton Howard

Like I expected, it has a I Am Legend/Shyamalan vibe, but including some ethnic touches, country influences. Arcade Fire's Horn Of Plenty is impressive with its orchestral and choral majesty. The emotional theme for Katniss, played in Rue's Farewell, a scene close to the end of the movie, and Teneous Winners/Returning Home is amazing. Though the CD has 43 of the 80 minutes of music written for the movie, there's not too much left that it was kept on the movie, except 20 or 30 minutes of unused music).

But thank God, JNH didn't went to the Green Lantern route. The music respects the material and the tragedy of the story. Also, why the choral bits are so low mixed? It's another Airbender scenario (especially with the problems with the AFM becuase of the score being recorded on London instead of US) where the CD has a synth choir and the movie the real one (in the film the choir was a better mix).
  6. War Horse - John Williams

This is the earthiest, most organic score I've ever heard from Williams. It's like if I never see the movie or read the book, I'd still have a pretty good idea what happens because the musical development flows so well. I think the last time I felt that way about a score was Avatar.

Anyway, it's another strong effort with memorable themes, especially that one that plays in the film's trailer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2012
    yonythemoony wrote
    The Hunger Games - James Newton Howard

Like I expected, it has a I Am Legend/Shyamalan vibe, but including some ethnic touches, country influences. Arcade Fire's Horn Of Plenty is impressive with its orchestral and choral majesty. The emotional theme for Katniss, played in Rue's Farewell, a scene close to the end of the movie, and Teneous Winners/Returning Home is amazing. Though the CD has 43 of the 80 minutes of music written for the movie, there's not too much left that it was kept on the movie, except 20 or 30 minutes of unused music).

But thank God, JNH didn't went to the Green Lantern route. The music respects the material and the tragedy of the story. Also, why the choral bits are so low mixed? It's another Airbender scenario (especially with the problems with the AFM becuase of the score being recorded on London instead of US) where the CD has a synth choir and the movie the real one (in the film the choir was a better mix).

In the movie Rue's Farewell gave me goosebumps!

There is music on CD that is not in the movie?
  7. The Countdown it's not played on the movie.
  8. Brian Tyler - Columbus Circle

Shockingly good, but my intuition tells me that the album is too long again.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY - Alex North

Superlative.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BON VOYAGE - Gabriel Yared

Superb score that has some of that 'Talented Mr Ripley' vibe going on that I love.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY - Alex North

Superlative.

My favourite North by far (I'm not generally a fan of his, but this I love).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    yeah
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Columbus Circle - Brian Tyler

There's some really good stuff in here but it's so long!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2012
    NP: THE MUMMY RETURNS - ALAN SILVESTRI

It's been a long time since I've listened to this. Always enjoyed it though.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Cristian wrote
    Transformers Prime - Brian Tyler

I enjoy this! Nice theme he use it a lot biggrin, but I like it.

Much better than the Third Jablonsky score.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Brian Tyler - Columbus Circle

Shockingly good, but my intuition tells me that the album is too long again.

Loved the different instrumentation approach and arrangement techniques. Fresher than usual smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Independence Day - David Arnold

One of my all time favorites!

punk

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Southall wrote
    Columbus Circle - Brian Tyler

There's some really good stuff in here but it's so long!

+1 But it's not a bad album per se. Since the only time I listen to scores is while I'm at work, the album's length works for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Deathly Hallows Part II Alexandre Desplat

As much as I'd love to have heard Williams score the final film (or final two films), Desplat certainly managed to get to the dramatic and emotional 'core' of the story. I want to hear more scores like this from Desplat!
  9. I never going to understand why they wanted Williams for the final film instead of the final two films. I wouldn't liked that the first film was for Desplat and the second one for Williams.

Also, knowing when he worked on Tintin and War Horse, he had time to score both movies.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2012 edited
    NP : AVATAR - James Horner

I like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    yonythemoony wrote
    I never going to understand why they wanted Williams for the final film instead of the final two films. I wouldn't liked that the first film was for Desplat and the second one for Williams.

Also, knowing when he worked on Tintin and War Horse, he had time to score both movies.

I don't know anything about that, I was just talking in general terms since 'the music of Harry Potter' will always be associated with John Williams. (Hedwig's Theme is THE Harry Potter theme.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2012 edited
    NP: CutThroat Island - John Debney

F________________k yeah!

This is on my personal top 3 scores of all time list!

punk

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!