• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2012
    yeah

I love that score. ( The Yards that is )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Viva Zapata! - Alex North

Viva this score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Two Mules for Sister Sara - Ennio Morricone

Brilliant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Omg yes! Too long ago I listened to that one.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN (James Horner)

The original GNP release. Great score, although the action music doesn't do much for me these days.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote

The original GNP release. Great score, although the action music doesn't do much for me these days.

biggrin

You need to buy fresh bait, your current batch is getting a little stale. wink
  1. Hans Zimmer - Beyond Rangoon

I just love it.

cool
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2012
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote

biggrin

You need to buy fresh bait, your current batch is getting a little stale. wink

Said Steven : The Search For Spock's Music tongue
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Beyond Rangoon

I just love it.

cool

A Zimmer favourite of mine too.
  2. Mark Mancina - Twister

One of Mancina's best scores. Usually very melodic (and when dissonant even tries some John Williams riffs - like in Mobile Home). Great thematic material and good that the emphasis is on the orchestra. And Mancina can actually properly orchestrate.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Hoping that La-La-Land Records can make a expanded release of that one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Mark Mancina - Twister

One of Mancina's best scores. Usually very melodic (and when dissonant even tries some John Williams riffs - like in Mobile Home). Great thematic material and good that the emphasis is on the orchestra. And Mancina can actually properly orchestrate.

An OUTSTANDING score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Stake Land - Jeff Grace

It's really growing on me. 'Goodbye Belle' is just gorgeous, the standout cue. Wish it was longer.
    More recently The Innkeepers further proved this guy to be a very talented composer.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Killing Me Softly - Patrick Doyle

Wonderful to hear his old voice in this with some sensual, dark - not to mention coherent - string writing. Saw the awful film years ago, had absolutely no recollection of the score being this good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2012 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Mark Mancina - Twister

An OUTSTANDING score!

-Erik-

Absolutely! I keep hoping, with Lalaland releasing several Mark Mancina scores lately, that one day they'll do Twister as well, since I haven't been able to buy this before it got out of print. Great, non-stop driving score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Viva Zapata! - Alex North

Viva this score!

That thing always makes me hungry.

Btw I was "listening", this morning...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhXvThLgqZs&sns=em sigh
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: STAR TREK III: THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK (James Horner)

The original GNP release. I prefer this over ST 2, actually. It has action, but more ethereal, romantic stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. The expanded Star Trek III release is one of my most treasured purchases, I value all of the previously unreleased cues just as much as what already existed on the GNP album. Literally waiting for years to replace the original album, I only listen to the expanded these days. I think it's one of the Horner's very best, featuring the mother of all action cues, almost 9 minutes of which I can never tire of.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No Gilles, don't eat that bate! It's way past its sell-by-date! shocked

I didn't mean for that to rhyme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: WILLOW (James Horner)

Again too much action stuff for me these days (crashing timpani, cymbals and frenetic brass/flutes), but love the Celtic feel and the sweep. Great adventure score.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. A score that could well do with an expanded release. (Preferably one with less music and a negative number of alternate takes.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    The expanded Star Trek III release is one of my most treasured purchases, I value all of the previously unreleased cues just as much as what already existed on the GNP album. Literally waiting for years to replace the original album, I only listen to the expanded these days. I think it's one of the Horner's very best, featuring the mother of all action cues, almost 9 minutes of which I can never tire of.

yeah

Except that I could still complain that the gong wasn't included ( during the Katra ritual ) wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    A score that could well do with an expanded release. (Preferably one with less music and a negative number of alternate takes.)

Agreed! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Explorers - Goldsmith

Selected cues to unwind with while unpacking from our trip OS.
    Might play Gremlins next.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Hunger Games James Newton Howard

When he's good, he writes scores like Unbreakable. When he's not so good, he writes scores like this.

Make of that what you will.
  6. It's curious how people gets so dissapointed when a composer doesn't make a generic score for a fantasy film, just like they did with Desplat with The Golden Compass and the Deathly Hallows scores.

Though JNH already said he wouldn't be able to please everybody with this score. For me, it's the best JNH score since The Happening, and he really managed to create the perfect sounds for The Hunger Games.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    yonythemoony wrote
    It's curious how people gets so dissapointed when a composer doesn't make a generic score for a fantasy film, just like they did with Desplat with The Golden Compass and the Deathly Hallows scores.

It's much to - I think - with how the music sounds away from the film as well.
    Best of both worlds (I would think) is if it's successful both as a work of art in its own right AND supportive of the intended medium.

And then there's the actual preference of the actual observer.
    How would you prefer to partake of the music?

This all colours the whole feeling of "disappointment", I think.
    It all depends what you're actually disappointed about!

It's always interesting to me how many different approaches and tastes there are even in a minute niche market like soundtracks. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    yonythemoony wrote
    It's curious how people gets so dissapointed when a composer doesn't make a generic score for a fantasy film, just like they did with Desplat with The Golden Compass and the Deathly Hallows scores.

I'm surprised you say that. For the most part, Hunger Games is exactly that. I didn't even have high hopes for it, I approached my first listen rather neutrally I must say. It has some okay moments, but nothing that I feel I need to return to any time soon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yonythemoony wrote
    It's curious how people gets so dissapointed when a composer doesn't make a generic score for a fantasy film.

But that's the problem... the score is generic.... and that's what people are upset about.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: On The Beach - Christopher Gordon

Not generic therefore awesome!

-Erik-