• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2012
    The Adventures of Huck Finn - Bill Conti

One of his best. Delightful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Journey - Austin Wintory

This is gloriously good.
  1. LINK - JERRY GOLDSMITH

So we can all agree this is not a masterpiece. It is however still good fun to these ears. Not The 'Burbs or Gremlins fun, but a different kind of fun that only Jerry can provide.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    LINK - JERRY GOLDSMITH

So we can all agree this is not a masterpiece. It is however still good fun to these ears. Not The 'Burbs or Gremlins fun, but a different kind of fun that only Jerry can provide.

I agree, really good score IMO.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. WAR HORSE - THE MAESTRO

Getting better each time... This gives me hope for the future that we can still expect great things from the maestro. The man still has it in him to write consistently brilliant cues, and a score that provides a memorable and completely satisfying listen, unlike so many composers these days. It's practically a given that when I hear the music in the film I will appreciate it even more. I think I love this more than Tintin, and that one is good too.

What a comeback for Mr. Williams. beer
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : COCOON - James Horner

Great score!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Grand Canyon - The Hidden Secrets - Bill Conti

Decent if not completely spectacular score for this IMAX film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2012 edited
    Timmer wrote

Great score!

This score should be rereleaed. It's out of print for many years. (Intrada wave )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE - John Barry

love
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : GOLDFINGER - John Barry

Awesome! love
  3. Antineutrino wrote
    Timmer wrote

Great score!

This score should be rereleaed. It' out of print for many years. (Intrada wave )

Yes yes yes! I'm definitely for more 80s sci-fi Horner. I hope we can expect it around 2015. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2012
    Journey - Austin Wintory

Gorgeous, superb, beautiful music!

cool
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2012
    Hook - John Williams

Been listening to the original CD for the first time in years and not overly enthused by it. A better than average score, no doubt, but the main theme is - dare I say - a little generic by Williams' standards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    dizzy spin dizzy spin dizzy spin dizzy spin dizzy spin dizzy
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2012 edited
    Who'll Stop the Rain - Laurence Rosenthal

Really love this one and I'm not a great fan of the composer by any means. A gritty, dark and brilliantly constructed half an hour of music around a wonderful/theme motif that gets put through the wringer but never outstays its welcome. If you heard it blind you'd swear it was prime Goldsmith or Fielding from the same era.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The Formula - Bill Conti

What a theme! And again after plenty of dark, complex writing in the score's first half. Makes me wonder why the hell I neglected Conti for so long; in fact right through the first decade or more of my obsessive film music listening. In recent years the many releases of his work have shown him to be a masterful composer. His orchestral scores tower over the majority of today's output.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    David OC wrote
    Hook - John Williams

Been listening to the original CD for the first time in years and not overly enthused by it. A better than average score, no doubt, but the main theme is - dare I say - a little generic by Williams' standards.
    Erik Woods wrote
    dizzy spin dizzy spin dizzy spin dizzy spin dizzy spin dizzy

yeah
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Journey - Austin Wintory

I can't stop listening to this. Apotheosis is one of the best cues I've heard in a while.

cool
  4. David OC wrote
    Hook - John Williams

crazy

There are about 10 main themes in Hook, all used to great effect in combination with each other and they are a bit better than average. Would you say that Star Wars is also better than average?

Everyone is entitled to his / her opinion but yours is just wrong. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Onimusha 2 - Orchestra Album - Taro Iwashiro

Great music! One of his best. And Iwashiro wrote A LOT of great scores.

punk

cool
  5. Cristian wrote
    Onimusha 2 - Orchestra Album - Taro Iwashiro

Great music! One of his best. And Iwashiro wrote A LOT of great scores.

punk

cool

The orchestral cues sure are lovely. Need to listen to it again.
  6. BAD BOYS - MARK MANCINA

My kind of hyperkinetic action scoring from the Media Ventures stable. And the comedy bits are enjoyable too.

Yes I love this 90s action music sound. cool
  7. It's just purely cool. Though in general I tend to prefer the slightly more ambitious version of this action sound in scores like Crimson Tide and Peacemaker for purely dramatic purposes.

Mancina was one of the best of the best at that time, I agree.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    PawelStroinski wrote
    It's just purely cool. Though in general I tend to prefer the slightly more ambitious version of this action sound in scores like Crimson Tide and Peacemaker for purely dramatic purposes.

Mancina was one of the best of the best at that time, I agree.

Speaking of,

NP: Crimson Tide - Hans Zimmer

Lovely little (electronic) thriller score with massive thematic cues. It's amazing how thematic/motivic the suspense cues can be. Very enjoyable listening experience, in either passive/reactive mode.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    christopher wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING (Patrick Doyle)

Love the main theme/song ("Sigh no More") and bits and pieces, but the chord-stop effects are never far away.

And that's it for my Doyles.

Meaning you do not own Doyle's gorgeous music for the film WAH WAH? It is really lovely. For a fellow bombast-non-lover, I recommend this one very highly. It is my favorite score of his. I have no idea what the odd title of the film refers to, but the music is outstanding.

That's my favourite Doyle too. A man of Thor's "no bombast!" tastes should buy it without hesitation!

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. lp wrote
    Speaking of,

Lovely little (electronic) thriller score with massive thematic cues. It's amazing how thematic/motivic the suspense cues can be. Very enjoyable listening experience, in either passive/reactive mode.

This and Broken Arrow... punk punk punk

The Zimmer of that era blows the Zimmer of now away !!!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE ROBE - Alfred Newman

Magnificent!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Legends of the Fall - James Horner

This is very good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Legends of the Fall - James Horner

This is very good.

Yes, it is.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    DreamTheater wrote
    lp wrote
    Speaking of,

This and Broken Arrow... punk punk punk

The Zimmer of that era blows the Zimmer of now away !!!!

It's Crimson Tide and The Peacemaker for me. I enjoy Broken Arrow, with relentless action cues, and that awesome theme of "tragic brotherhood" . But it's really The Peacemaker that wins my action junkie heart.