• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2012
    Marselus wrote
    Southall wrote
    Madagascar 3 - Hans Zimmer

Soul-destroyingly awful.

Encouraging.

The songs are bad, but the score itself is very good, although very short.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    After every listen it gets better and better. It's not anything spectacular but it is, IMO, good and one of the better scores I've heard this year - which isn't saying much because 2012 has been a HUGE let down.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Prometheus or Madagascar?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Dammit. I have to stop posting on my iPhone. Anyway, I was referring to Prometheus.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2012 edited
    NP: Abraham Lincoln - Vampire Hunter - Henry Jackman

More of the aggressive orchestral/brass/synth from Henri 4 and First Class. I kinda like it. The action cues (Horse Stampede is my favorite among the few) are represented by brash obstinati and electronica that tread similar water yet sounds completely unique, to my ears anyway, FWIW.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2012
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The Immigrant theme is a masterpiece.

It's actually my favourite theme of those films. And there's no shortage of great ones in them!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE USUAL SUSPECTS - John Ottman

One of his better scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2012 edited
    I remember being introduced to the immigrant theme in one of the Guess the Score games we had. I remember guessing the right composer, but not knowing the theme. Think Timmer hosted it... though it might have been franz.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    I remember being introduced to the immigrant theme in one of the Guess the Score games we had. I remember guessing the right composer, but not knowing the theme. Think Timmer hosted it... though it might have been franz.

Peter smile

It wasn't me, I never hosted a game. ( I won a number of those games but always passed the baton to someone else because I didn't know how to host the clips )

I wish more people here would look into Nino Rota and other great and (seemingly) neglected composers, there is genuine musical gold to be mined in them there hills.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. That might have been me, although I don't remember using a Rota from the GODFATHER films. Great scores in any case.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Indeed, Timmer. I have 10 Rota albums, but this is way too few.

Ah, yes, you hosted some great games, franz, but I think I've found the culprit. wink Turns out it was BhelPuri, and I'm very grateful for that.

Anyway, I miss these games.... and I miss BhelPuri too. Anyone knows where he went?

Peter smile
  3. BhelP was indeed a good stager of games, and someone with taste in music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Amazing Spider Man - James Horner

As a passive Horner listener, it does seem to have the Horner sound that I know, but with an interesting Elfman-esque, styling on top.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Doesn't surprise me. There's no doubt in my mind that the film was temped with Elfman's Spider-Man scores.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    That really surprised me in a negative way: they wanted a reboot, a different take on the comic and not simply a sequel. Then why link it in any way to the previous Raimi films? I'm sure it has to do with studio interference, but I rate it as bad judgement by whoever made the decision.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BobdH wrote
    That really surprised me in a negative way: they wanted a reboot, a different take I the comic and not simply a sequel. Then why link it in any way to the previous Raimi films? I'm sure it has to do with studio interference, but I rate it as bad judgement by whoever made the decision.

yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Some bone head music editor thought "Hey, a new Spider-Man film? I know what to use in the temp... Elfman's Spider-man scores."

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    Doesn't surprise me. There's no doubt in my mind that the film was temped with Elfman's Spider-Man scores.

-Erik-

I think so as well, but to be fair, I hear more from Horner than I do those Elfman-esque sounds.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Oh yes... but the influence is quite apparent.

-Erik-
  4. Timmer wrote
    BobdH wrote
    That really surprised me in a negative way: they wanted a reboot, a different take I the comic and not simply a sequel. Then why link it in any way to the previous Raimi films? I'm sure it has to do with studio interference, but I rate it as bad judgement by whoever made the decision.

yeah

That would he Horner's.

He's got a lot of money, he doesn't need to ever work another day in his life. He chooses to keep scoring. If they [the execs_ had told him to do it, he could have passed on the project.

The Great Boggandini is pulling out his [crystal] ball and rubbing it -- in a non sexual way -- and foreseeing the future: Horner will not be scoring any sequel to this film, should there be one.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SPHERE - Elliot Goldenthal

One of my favourite Goldenthal scores, excellent work!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : INTERVIEW WITH A VAMPIRE - Elliot Goldenthal

I'm in a Goldenthal mood cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Michael Collins should be next!

punk

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    That's a superb score indeed Erik, I'll see how I feel.
  5. I take it Batman Forever is a bit too much, a bit too late in the evening?

But I take it over any of those you mentioned Tim.

And I didn't even care that much for it before, until LLL released the expanded that is !
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    Some bone head music editor thought "Hey, a new Spider-Man film? I know what to use in the temp... Elfman's Spider-man scores."

-Erik-

Indeed. Some idiot's going to do that on the next SUPERMAN* film too. wink Thank goodness noone was too wedded to Elfman's BATMAN* when Zimmer and Howard came to do their pass. (Sadly the next player in that rebooted franchise will not be so free, I suspect.) But Warners don't really police the music (cf Harry Potter), while Sony tinkers to the nth degree.

* Of course these scores are magnificent on their own, but I just think it's better to hear a fresh take when the time comes.
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    Michael Collins should be next!

punk

-Erik-

Or COBB! Another treasure from him. Or HEAT. Also from the early years. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Final fantasy: The spirits within <- the next logical step.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2012
    NP: Star Trek: The Motion Picture(LLL Deluxe) - Goldsmith
    Received mine as a gift from a friend today. What a gift!
    Absolutely STUNNING!!!
    Film score perfection! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2012
    Atham wrote
    NP: Star Trek: The Motion Picture(LLL Deluxe) - Goldsmith
    Received mine as a gift from a friend today. What a gift!
    Absolutely STUNNING!!!
    Film score perfection! cool

I received mine last Saturday and I still haven't played it dizzy