• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2012
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    punk punk INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM punk punk

The long awaited expanded release delivers everything I could've ever wanted.

Actually, no it didn't.

-Erik-

You've probably mentioned why "it didn't" before, can you remind me Erik?

Man... I wish I kept my box set rant somewhere. wink Anyway, while I apprecaite that we got an expanded edition featuring some of the finest music John Williams has ever written, when you produce a box set of this sort it has to be done right. Just look at the love Star Trek: The Motion Picture got from La La Land. Hell, Elfman's Planet of the Apes got more love than Williams Indy scores. crazy

A few of my biggest disappointments include the exclusion of "Fortune and Glory." That awesome cue where Indy has a night time chat with Short Round just before their journey to Pankot. Great rendition of the Slave Children music in there.

Also, the bridge percussion music that builds up and segues into "The Broken Bridge / British Relief."

Another sore spot is the re-use of the album version of the end credits. The film version has this fantastic counterpoint of Indy's theme and Short Round's theme that only Williams is capable of doing. Skip to the 8:55 mark of this video to hear what I'm talking about. I know it's only about 30 seconds or so but what a brilliant 30 seconds of music it is.

I would have also loved the film version of "Map / Out Of Fuel" featuring the first full rendition of Willie's Theme. We get an alternate on the expanded release.

Nitpicky I know but this is Indiana Jones we are talking about here!

-Erik-

Thanks Erik smile

It's a real shame that opportunities weren't taken while producing the box set especially as we're talking about some of the biggest blockbusters of all time.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Amazing Spider-Man - James Horner

It's amazing how one shitty score can make another sound so good! I would like to thank Hans Zimmer and The Dark Knight Rises for helping me apprecaite James Horner's Spidey score that much more.

It's still a 3.5 out of 5 score for me... but that's a strong rating compared to what is was before listening to Zimmer's awful music from the third Nolan Batman film. I still think Horner's Spider-Man is a bit all over the place stylistically (and those electronic still don't blend well with the orchestral music, which is horribly recorded) but when it's on it's on. And that theme is ridiculously catchy!

-Erik-

Spidey is a 4/5 for me.

I listened to The Dark Knight Rises yesterday, for me it's The Dark Knight Sinks ( though you could put a T between the S and the i quite happily ).
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    punk punk INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM punk punk

The long awaited expanded release delivers everything I could've ever wanted.

Actually, no it didn't.

-Erik-

Why am I not surprised? biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote:
    Timmer wrote
    NP : CHILDREN OF JUNE - Brian Tyler

I haven't heard this in a long time.

Bored already!

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I agree, the fact Children of Dune is ... boring tongue

slant
    I think it's a marvelous and rich score, and one I enjoy returning to very much.

I think it's one of his better, but absolutely not to the point people place it alongside the best scores of that year, or any year. It's got a potent beginning which I adore and a lovely ending, but a mediocre and quite boring middle that does very little to me
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE BEACH - Angelo Badalamenti

I love this score, quite ecclectic in style, the main theme is absolutely gorgeous and very John Barry influenced which is no bad thing.

And you -- like me -- have been on that beach, which gives it a personal connection as well.

Me too! And guess what music I played that evening as I sat down with a beer or two at the end of the day...

cool

I wonder how much Phi Phi would have changed if I saw it with my eyes now, considering I was there pre-tsunami.
  3. christopher wrote
    NP - ALL THE KING'S MEN - James Horner

Is it just me or are Horner's scores quieter on CD than most?

No, (thankfully) they are just mixed/mastered with more dynamics than most other scores (loud parts are loud, quiet parts are quiet). Almost every RC score suffers from being loud constantly. The problem is that everything being loud has the same effect s everything being quiet - none.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I do appreciate proper dynamics but Rhodes' mixes are usually so darn quite. Deep Impact is one of the worst offenders. And listening to Spider-Man right now I have my speakers up at an absolutely retarded level just to hear all the nuances of Horner's score. Every time I get an email notification I jump out of my seat! Like I said, I really miss Murphy's Horner recordings!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2012 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    I do appreciate proper dynamics but Rhodes' mixes are usually so darn quite. Deep Impact is one of the worst offenders. And listening to Spider-Man right now I have my speakers up at an absolutely retarded level just to hear all the nuances of Horner's score. Every time I get an email notification I jump out of my seat! Like I said, I really miss Murphy's Horner recordings!

-Erik-

It seems to me that the "problem" is when he's recording a full symphonic orchestra, there are no such problems in volume, for example, with Thomas Newman's Exotic Marigold Hotel where the forces are smaller.

EDIT :- I don't buy what I just said, he has vast experience with orchestra, I just don't know why his mixes are so quiet?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    His background is in classical recordings, which is evident in most of his recordings. Very wide, very concert hall like.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeah, that makes sense.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2012 edited
    The Dark Knight Rises Hans Zimmer

A very angry score. I like it. Though I'm not surprised at the negative reaction it's generally recieved.

I rather like Bane's 'theme' (or, "music and/or sound effects you associate with the character Bane from the Christopher Nolan film The Dark Knight Rises").

Looking forward to hearing this in the film!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Can't get The Amazing Spider-Man theme out of my head!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Actually, this is a good thing!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: De Rouille et D'Os (Rust and Bone) - Alexandre Desplat

A bit different than his other romantic scores. Less of that trademark pulsing swirling stuff (though its still there) and more traditional romantic stuff (with a bit of a French flair)...very nice.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Scribe wrote

A bit different than his other romantic scores. Less of that trademark pulsing swirling stuff (though its still there) and more traditional romantic stuff (with a bit of a French flair)...very nice.

I really liked this but didn't think anyone else did!
  4. Just finished:

Hans Zimmer - The Dark Knight Rises

Except some slightly awkward throwbacks to the earlier scores in the series (either not very well edited or not very well added in the writing), I quite like this score. With repeated listenings it may become (it almost already is) my favourite of the series, which I always somehow liked.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MASADA - Jerry Goldsmith

Superb sums this up.
  5. Southall wrote
    Scribe wrote

I really liked this but didn't think anyone else did!

Old Faithful here spouts anon.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    L'Africain - Georges Delerue

Oh. This is good. Seriously good.

PS: I think someone was asking about translation services earlier. This film's title means "The African" - don't all thank me at once.
  6. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Join the club. I am also semi-obsessed with the Rumble in the Subway cue.
  7. Southall wrote
    L'Africain - Georges Delerue

Oh. This is good. Seriously good.

PS: I think someone was asking about translation services earlier. This film's title means "The African" - don't all thank me at once.

Tell more. Nay, review it even!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2012
    NP: Heroic Age Original Soundtrack Album I: Star Way - Naoki Sato

I always forget that I own this but then this one particular track pops up on my iPod now and then and I have to rush home to play the score! Most definitely an Erik Woods score! The opening track is a stunner!

-Erik-
  8. NP: Dekalog (Zbigniew Preisner)

Music with gravitas. Take that Hans. (Yes, I did listen to your latest, and liked it except for the bits that I didn't like, which were more numerous.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    The Lost Child - Mark McKenzie

This is wonderful. The main theme has that kind of profoundly sad but somehow achingly beautiful feel that Georges Delerue did so many times.

Want !
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Join the club. I am also semi-obsessed with the Rumble in the Subway cue.

Oops oooops something happening here !
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote:
    Timmer wrote
    NP : CHILDREN OF JUNE - Brian Tyler

I haven't heard this in a long time.

Bored already!

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I agree, the fact Children of Dune is ... boring tongue

slant
    I think it's a marvelous and rich score, and one I enjoy returning to very much.

I think it's one of his better, but absolutely not to the point people place it alongside the best scores of that year, or any year. It's got a potent beginning which I adore and a lovely ending, but a mediocre and quite boring middle that does very little to me

Well, thank god there is always Tyler bates around then smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Amazing Spider-Man - James Horner

It's amazing how one shitty score can make another sound so good! I would like to thank Hans Zimmer and The Dark Knight Rises for helping me apprecaite James Horner's Spidey score that much more.

It's still a 3.5 out of 5 score for me... but that's a strong rating compared to what is was before listening to Zimmer's awful music from the third Nolan Batman film. I still think Horner's Spider-Man is a bit all over the place stylistically (and those electronic still don't blend well with the orchestral music, which is horribly recorded) but when it's on it's on. And that theme is ridiculously catchy!

-Erik-

Spidey is a 4/5 for me.

I listened to The Dark Knight Rises yesterday, for me it's The Dark Knight Sinks ( though you could put a T between the S and the i quite happily ).

Erik, my friend, you know this is bollocks smile :p you will come Around eventually, realizing it is actually a five star modern score and for today's standards. It is amazing and you do not need to compare it with inferior scores in order to realize its value smile glad you Are enjoying it !
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Just finished:

Hans Zimmer - The Dark Knight Rises

Except some slightly awkward throwbacks to the earlier scores in the series (either not very well edited or not very well added in the writing), I quite like this score. With repeated listenings it may become (it almost already is) my favourite of the series, which I always somehow liked.

I really enjoy this score, especially the new thematic materials, even if only the Bane/reckoning stuff is used so much more. It's all very aggressive, and bleak sounding as well. You're right that the transition to the previous materials can be jarring at time, though I must assume that those were for very specific scenes/moment, as if they were motivic ideas. We'll see...
  9. Demetris wrote
    Erik, my friend, you know this is bollocks smile :p you will come Around eventually, realizing it is actually a five star modern score and for today's standards. It is amazing and you do not need to compare it with inferior scores in order to realize its value smile glad you Are enjoying it !

So today's standards are inferior to the standards of before and you're okay with that? Giving Spider-man 5 stars is an insult to real 5 star scores.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2012 edited
    Like this one for instance...

punk punk INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE punk punk

So if we thought we had heard everything in the previous installments, in comes John to blow us all away with even more adventure, splendid action and new themes to makes us all go beer

This may be my favourite of the three because of that glorious finale cue, where every theme (new and old) is presented in its most 'bowing down' fashion. The action music is again of the highest standard and the religious theme a definite keeper. I must say this expanded presentation kicks a whole lot of butt. Of course Erik will most likely not agree and say he prefers the previous release or something ( wink ) but hey, we all have our preferences.

My goodness, isn't that 'On the Tank / Belly of the Steel Beast' combo just to die for? It nearly blows 'Desert Chase' out of the water !!! Definitely two of the best cues of the entire trilogy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2012 edited
    edit