• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Time for a new one, is it?

And a good score to start with:

John Williams - Far and Away

cool
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2012
    NP: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - Edward Shearmur

Aaaaaaaaw Yeeeeeeeeeah!

punk

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE PARTY (Henry Mancini)

Groovy!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE PINK PANTHER - Henry Mancini

cat
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    I like some of Zimmer's power-antics but for me it all became wearisome very fast.

BERNARD HERRMANN would have done it better!

I'd listen to a Zimmer power anthem any day of the week. Herrmann schmerrmann.

PawelStroinski wrote
    Zimmer himself regretted writing that cue, actually.

Why? I think it's one of his most sublime moments.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2012 edited
    The piano (Nyman)

I love this score. Strangely I haven't played it in 5 years or something. That does not make sense.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I like some of Zimmer's power-antics but for me it all became wearisome very fast.

BERNARD HERRMANN would have done it better!

I'd listen to a Zimmer power anthem any day of the week. Herrmann schmerrmann.

Indeed. Who wants to listen to an old, dead guy? wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE MANCINI PROJECT (Henry Mancini)

Brilliant fan-made compilation with the famous themes on disc 1 and the non-jazzy orchestral music on disc 2.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

Brilliant fan-made compilation with the famous themes on disc 1 and the non-jazzy orchestral music on disc 2.

That's Mark's album ( Sountrackman ), a brilliant comp.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    The piano (Nyman)

I love this score. Strangely I haven't played it in 5 years or something. That does not make sense.

Peter smile

On this we will agree! cool beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

That's Mark's album ( Sountrackman ), a brilliant comp.

It is, and I do remember you saying you had it too. Do you also have his Michel Legrand sampler? I had it, but gave it away after I bought the CINEMA DE MICHEL LEGRAND 4CD set.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No, I never had the Legrand sampler, I do have the excellent 4 CD set though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Prince of Persia~ HGW

I always smile and dream when I hear this!I want the horizon, the sea of sand! I want the free air!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Stavroula wrote
    Prince of Persia~ HGW

I always smile and dream when I hear this!I want the horizon, the sea of sand! I want the free air!

This is an awesome score.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Stavroula wrote
    Prince of Persia~ HGW

Playing it now. Thanks for mentioning it.

Peter smile
  2. "Behold Hawaii" (short film, 1983)
    Score by: Basil Poledouris
    TT: 21:26 (15 tracks)

I had advanced hope of some tropical percussion and guitar and melodic stuff from Basil, but it's not like that. There's some percussion later on, and some kind of guitar on one track, but I can't say it's necessarily tropical.

Some orchestra, some synths -- not sure how to categorize it. But it sounds like it going with what's going on screen, at times, so there's a move here, a move there, etc.
    It's not until an action cue that we get a taste of [wooden?] percussion.

I have no idea what it's about (I only care about the music, not the short film).

Overall it's an okay score. Nothing great or stand out, and certainly not his best, but there's a couple of good plesant tracks, though those track never reach their full height or potential. A time or two I hear some early "Robocop" stuff.

There are four short film scores on this boot, so three more mini reviews coming.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. NP: La Dolce Vita (Nino Rota)

Superb. Truly great. Such a wonderful blend of jazz, popular standards and romantic film scoring. And for one of the greatest of all films.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. "American Journeys" (Disneyland short film, 1984)
    TT: 16:32

As you might expect, the West, America, equals some good scoring. Sound quality is pretty bad -- imagine that old boot of Delerue's for his rejected score to SWTWC, with slightly better sound and no watery muddle -- that's what you got.

Sounds like pure orchestra, no sounds. Some boombast, some lushness, a semi lyrical trombone playing a wonderful theme that's memorable. Too bad the score is so short.
    Included is his own arrangement of "God Bless America".

The score goes out with some more tender pieces. They meander a little bit, but I assume they worked wonders against the screen. No grand finale piece or big re-praisal of the main theme, unless this is the incomplete score.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. "Dolphin" (short film, 1979)
    TT: 4:26

IMDB lists the short at 58 minutes, so I assume there's more score.

Orchestral, some electric guitar do-wah's (yeah, that's how I'll describe it), and some piano, so forth. You'd thin you're watching a film about a southern guy trying to get out of his life of drinking at the bar, to better things, than a documentary about dolphins. At least I assume there's dolphins in it. IMDB has a musician credited as an "Underwater piano player".

It's okay, nothing special. Could have been better with a strong theme and more chances to flesh out the score.
  6. "Scoccer" (sort film, year unknown)
    TT: 9:06 (five tracks)

I did a quick IMDB and internet search, and I can't seem to come up with a short film named "Soccer"; maybe it's obscure, maybe it was shelved, maybe it's forgotten to time so far, who knows. I'm guessing by the music probably the late '70's.

A fun bouncy, upbeat score with percussion and some scoring that you could possibly associate with a light '70's police series. This is the closet to "Funky" I've heard from Basil; saxophones, electric guitar licks, some "wahs" like in the "CHiPs" Silvestri theme arrangement, kick drum, but not purely so (one cue really, though elements are in other cues).

It's enjoyable, though it's not well connected and a little disjointed, but if you miss the days of scoring like this, it's a good listen.

This score had the best sound quality, which isn't that great. And so concludes the boot.
    • CommentAuthoradam
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: La Dolce Vita (Nino Rota)

Superb. Truly great. Such a wonderful blend of jazz, popular standards and romantic film scoring. And for one of the greatest of all films.

One of my absolute favourites! Although it's always a toss up between that, Amarcord, and Giulietta
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: John Carter - Michael Giacchino

HOLY COW. Great score, so far. Loving the direct copy-and-paste job from Medal of Honor: Frontline in Get Carter! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Ghost and Mrs Muir - Bernard Herrmann

I'm not sure Herrmann was ever better.
  7. I'm convinced you might be right. 'Andante Cantabile' is something.
  8. "Touch and Go" (rejected score)
    By: Goerges Delerue

After years of hunting down a copy, I finally got it.

I'm several tracks in and I get the impression Delerue wasn't enjoying himself with this score. It's missing the normal elements of his known noted works. It almost sounds like he was struggling to appease somebody.

It's some what low key in its approach. Also cowbell, electric guitar fingering, and one track ws a semi power anthem with electric guitars, more like a rock sound. A bunch of synth sound, pads at times.

About half way through his normal American styling starts to creep in, which are of course the best tracks.

There's also three or four un-used songs; his arranging underneath (though some I am unsure of). No idea who the singer(s) are.

There sound to be a number of alternate cues, some differ in length, as if they scenes may have been re-cut sometimes.

Some of the last cues I'm wondering if I'm hearing Delerue. Sounds like some of his stuff in there, but like he handed it off to another composer. The score finishes unremarkably with a handful or more of eletric '80's power anthem pieces; some enjoyable, some annoying. Except the finale cue, which, had to describe, ties up his theme and what little ideas there were, in some sort of odd precurser to Enya. It's pretty, just odd.

In the end, while there's probably about 15 enjoyable to pretty good cues (at least two or three under 10 seconds which are, strangely enough, highlights), I think his time would have been better spent scoring something else. Based on a clip from the film on Youtube, I would assume somebody Jerry Goldsmith in his "Hooisers" mode, would have far better suited the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2012
    NP: A Single Man - Abel Korzeniowski's portion

I enjoy Abel's contributions much more Shigeru Umebayashi's. Abel's writing is so attractive and eloquent in its emotional appeal. Love it so much on W.E. score.
  9. I agree. Somehow so much better than WE.
    I don't mind the Umebayashi contributions, but the Korzeniowski stuff is the winner.
  10. I have always liked Jack Nitzsche's themes heard in John Carpenter's Starman. The version for full orchestra and chorus as heard on "Alien Invasion: Space and Beyond II", I think, does great justice to the end title music.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    The Ghost and Mrs Muir - Bernard Herrmann

I'm not sure Herrmann was ever better.

Obviously arguable but yeah, it's a gorgeous score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Black Gold James Horner

I already feel like I've found my three favourite scores of 2012, and it's only March. (This, The Lorax and John Get Carter.)