• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2012 edited
    sdtom wrote
    Grofe was quite famous for his "Grand Canyon Suite"

...which is bloody gorgeous! shocked

and orchestrator of "Rhapsody in Blue. "

I didn't know that!
    Nice tidbit of trivia, Tom. biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2012
    I highly recommend his GRAND CANYON SUITE.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp … e=8.559017

http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp … e=8.559007

I can recommend both of these CD's to your collection. His music is wonderful.

Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote
    Steven wrote
    Also, old scores suck.

popcorn

A matter of opinion Steven.

No! It's fact!

Anyway, film music should only be heard in films.

By the way Steven, Grofe was quite famous for his "Grand Canyon Suite" and orchestrator of "Rhapsody in Blue."

Er... cool?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    My God, i remember one time - now that you said "old scores", some such score Martijn was going crazy about, and Bregt too; something French, fluffy with balloons. Too complicated for my D's ears-on-Brian-Tyler mode these days tongue
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hey! angry

Prodromidès' Voyage En Ballon was seriously one of the finest releases and greatest surprises I heard two years ago. It's a score I frequent a lot: it's robust, strong, thematic, marvelously melodic and there's absolutely nothing fluffy about it. At all!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    A-ha! cool That's it, i remember!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote

I don't know, man.
    I think that Celine Dion's soundtrack to Titanic is so great away from the film as well.
  1. Steven wrote

Don't even go there!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

I don't know, man.
    I think that Celine Dion's soundtrack to Titanic is so great away from the film as well.

Yes of course! It's a shame about all those instrumental songs that fill up the CD though. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

I don't know, man.

Yes of course! It's a shame about all those instrumental songs that fill up the CD though. slant

What instrumental songs? I remember a lot of bad-sounding synths.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Steven wrote

Don't even go there!

Truth hurts eh? wink kiss
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

I don't know, man.

What instrumental songs? I remember a lot of bad-sounding synths.

The Enya-light stuff is bad but you should return to the score again D, it's excellent.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yes, on a serious note I can understand why some might be put off by the synths (though I love them!). But don't let that put you off the rest of the score which is bloody excellent. Just listen to 'A Building Panic' from the Back To Titanic album if you don't believe me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2012
    Got an email from my friend David at MMM saying he was very unhappy with the site and he'll no longer post here. Why do you have to give advice when it is not asked for? I guess I don't get it but the bottom line is that this site loses.
    Tom
  2. The bottom line is that some people aren't really able to take any criticism. I didn't see ANYTHING invalid in Steven's posts.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. PawelStroinski wrote
    The bottom line is that some people aren't really able to take any criticism. I didn't see ANYTHING invalid in Steven's posts.

With hindsight it may have been better to have let David get established here before offering any advice on his website. By the same token, David's order of response - to Steven then thanking people for the welcome - did not bode well.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    the bottom line is that this site loses.
    Tom

With MMM's continued strangely piqued reactions honestly I'm not so sure about that.
    Well, I'm sure we'll be able to muddle on without their personal involvement.

For future reference, the thread is here for posterity to decide. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote
    Got an email from my friend David at MMM saying he was very unhappy with the site and he'll no longer post here. Why do you have to give advice when it is not asked for? I guess I don't get it but the bottom line is that this site loses.
    Tom

Advice? No. Merely a very friendly suggestion (with a warm welcome). Clearly that part was ignored and the whole thing was taken entirely the wrong way - a situation I'm sure you yourself are all too familiar with.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm sorry to say that David comes across as being a bit "precious", I see nothing that wasn't constructive criticism, really, what was the problem?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm not judging any of you. What was said was well within the confines of acceptable criticism/suggestions. I'm just reporting the situation. It has not harmed my relationship with him in anyway.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm glad for that, Tom. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote
    I'm not judging any of you. What was said was well within the confines of acceptable criticism/suggestions. I'm just reporting the situation.
    Tom

sdtom wrote
    Why do you have to give advice when it is not asked for? I guess I don't get it but the bottom line is that this site loses.
    Tom

I see...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2012 edited
    When a genuine remark like Steven is not allowed and repeatedly reacted upon with an air of pretentiousness, followed by more of that when Martijn tries to handle MMM's continued modesty, then surely, letting us know via Tom, is the ultimate of not being capable of handling criticism. It's such a pity because I was going to ask what were worthy releases of this label and what fellow members would recommend. But perhaps their opinions would be wrong. Not sure if I care anymore.

sdtom wrote
    Why do you have to give advice when it is not asked for?

Then he shouldn't have joined a discussion forum...
    Kazoo
  4. In the interest of balance I am sure that any positive comments on MMM's released would have received just as much criticism from David.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    perhaps their opinions would be wrong.

Even consider my opinion to be potentially wrong?
    Bregt, what is wrong with you? wink

I have a few of MMM's releases.
    Here's the attraction...and the problem: we're talking DEEP niche market here.

Even for a niche market such as soundtrack appreciation is, this is seriously cult stuff: soundtracks (rerecorded and orginal) from some of Hollywood's Golden and Silver Age science fictiion/horror/monster classics: Mighty Joe Young, Creature From The Black Lagoon, Alligator People, Tarantula, Them!, The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms...all wonderful "late Friday night" viewings... love

...but the soundtracks to them are really an acquired taste.
    As you would expect from monster films from the early fifties to sixties, there's loads of "horrific" underscore and very little in the way of melodic progression (and themes are usually found in a two-three beat sting).

Even though I love all those films (and own a goodly part of the titles MMM has released soundtracks to), even for me sitting through a whole CD is a bit of a chore!
    This has nothing to do with the quality of the CDs or (re) recordings, which is usually quite good to stellar, but simply with the very nature of the music itself, which in and of itself doesn't lend itself for easy listening and -to me- more often grates than gratifies. However, loving the films, the detailed and excellently researched liner notes are an absolute treat!

Apparently there is a market for these CDs.
    I think that's great.
    I am always greatly in favour of the bizarre and outrageous getting out there and finding an audience. Even if it doesn't necessarily includes me.
  5. MMM's releases are always beautifully produced. Their booklets in particular are a mine of information (my only comment here is that their booklets are so full of information it is difficult to get them back into the jewel cases without damaging them) and it is obvious that the whole enterprise is top notch.

Their "Monstrous Movie Music" CDs and their This Island Earth are excellent releases. As is their more recent combo release, Project Moon Base/Open Secret.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2012
    Steven wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

Advice? No. Merely a very friendly suggestion (with a warm welcome). Clearly that part was ignored and the whole thing was taken entirely the wrong way - a situation I'm sure you yourself are all too familiar with.

It's a public forum. Sorry if some people cannot handle, well, social interaction. The "send a whining mail to another mail complaining about a public forum i originally stepped in" is a ridiculous route to take, imo and it's not the first time it's happened.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Still, given the amount of replies this 'previously dead thread' has received, there is at least a silver lining to the mushroom cloud of MMM's hissy fit. There's no such thing as bad press, as they say.

And I do agree with Martijn - it's nice to see the weird and the wonderful find a market. (Even if it's not for me.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    MMM wrote
    No mention of our label in over four years! That's not good. Glad I just discovered this site, as you have a much more civil way of conversing than on a certain site in the States that is bent on the destruction of each and every poster! I hope I can contribute to some of the conversations here if anyone has questions pertaining to my area of expertise as a soundtrack producer, representative of composers and their estates, legal matters pertaining to film music and music in general, and especially classic science fiction and horror music. I also know which people in the business are crooks, but I'll keep that to myself for the time being...

We just released (as of today) five new soundtrack CDs, so if anyone would like to check them out, you can click on the link and if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. The releases are:

SHIP OF FOOLS (Ernest Gold) [first release of original music tracks]
    KRONOS & THE COSMIC MAN (Paul Sawtell and Bert Shefter) [2-CD set]
    THE MCCULLOCHS (Ernest Gold)
    ROCKETSHIP X-M (Ferde Grofe)

Each release comes with liner books containing more information about the music, the composers, and more jokes than what you'll find in five other releases combined! (Okay, so maybe that's a slight exaggeration, but not regarding the jokes...)

http://www.mmmrecordings.com

Where did he ask for an opinion on his website??? Am I missing something? The obvious question in my mind is why did you depart from the original sci-fi concept and choose to release two Ernest Gold scores that had nothing to do with horror/science fiction?

When I was alive and well in business at Nelson Photo I can tell you I didn't have the 'clean' look to impress you and woo away your money. What I had was knowledge, things you wanted to buy, and good prices. If someone (they did) came in and wanted to give me advice on what the store should look like I would politely ask them if I could help them with something? If you want to talk about business please make an appointment with Mary after store hours and I'll be happy to listen to what you have to say. I think the analogy is appropriate. Does that make sense?
    Tom