• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2007
    And if so, what are they?

I finally got the score to seasons 1-3 of 24. The linear notes were even better than I imagined!

Along with that I also got some 3 disc compilation of ''famous film themes''. At least my family knows I like scores, but I wish they'd stop buying me these re-recorded compilations. As I'm sure many of you know, they usually sound terrible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I got Alien, Planet Earth and the big Star Wars boxset... Which I'm pretty chuffed about.

I'm mostly chuffed about the fact I posted this on my shiny new iPod Touch! biggrin
  1. Hans Zimmer - Crimson Tide
    Bernard Herrmann - North by Northwest - McNeely re-recording

'Nuff said
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I got Alien, Planet Earth and the big Star Wars boxset... Which I'm pretty chuffed about.

I'm mostly chuffed about the fact I posted this on my shiny new iPod Touch! biggrin

I got NO cd's slant

The Star Wars box set is the only one that I own so I can't compare it with the re-released CD's but I'll take Erik's word for it that the sound quality is better.

Alien? So you got it in time!? cool I'm just glad it's not a limited release as I won't be ordering it until next week.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Charlie Wilson's War - James Newton Howard

biggrin

Merry Christmas!
  2. I supposed to get Return of the King complete edition but its still backordered sad
    Anyhoo, gave me brother a Dream Theater DVD in return wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Timmer wrote
    The Star Wars box set is the only one that I own so I can't compare it with the re-released CD's but I'll take Erik's word for it that the sound quality is better.

Really? Does the new, as in: very new, 2007 release contain better sound then the one released a few years back, in 2003 or so?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I got the Water Horse, as I said in NP. biggrin
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    No. I've never gotten film music for Christmas. I've taken care of those acquisitions myself. But I did get a MARVELOUS boxed set of classical music from my dad...30 CD's in the Harmonia Mundi 50th Anniversary box. For more details, check out http://arts.guardian.co.uk/filmandmusic … 80,00.html

And I also got the INDIANA JONES TRILOGY DVD box!! Cool.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Yes..

I paid 50 euros for POTC sountrack treasures tongue

Oh...

and 35 euros more for Indiana Jones trilogy (Movies)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BobdH wrote
    Timmer wrote

Really? Does the new, as in: very new, 2007 release contain better sound then the one released a few years back, in 2003 or so?

It's not something I can compare as I've never heard the newer releases, Erik will explain if he see's this thread?

I'm more than happy with the box and it's contents.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2007
    Timmer wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Timmer wrote

It's not something I can compare as I've never heard the newer releases, Erik will explain if he see's this thread?

Wich of them? Anthology? RCA? 30th Aniversary?

What about a Box set of Goldsmith Star trek Scores? tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2007 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Timmer wrote

Wich of them? Anthology? RCA? 30th Aniversary?

What about a Box set of Goldsmith Star trek Scores? tongue

Excellent idea cool ....Better still ALL the Trek film scores, all complete of course! punk

I have the 4 disc box with booklet....RCA I think?
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    From other people, No, but there were a few "to me, from me" gifts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Alas, nothing sad
    listen to more classical music!
  3. I didn't get any score CDs from anyone for Christmas - I'd rather do that myself. But I did get a few things that have a relation to film music -

- The Star Wars Vault (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-Vault … amp;sr=8-1)
    Includes on one of the two audio CDs an interview with John Williams (c2002), talking about his music in the Star Wars universe. There's also a small section on the music as well as a copy of sheet music from the "End Credit" from Attack of The Clones.

- Blade Runner (5-DVD set)
    Hoping that there's some mention of the music in the commentaries/documentaries.

- Alfred Hitchcock movies (14-DVD boxed set)
    I had to pick this up - £25 instead of £90. Pity that it doesn't feature North By Northwest, but I'm looking forward to seeing Herrmann's music placed in Torn Curtain.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    I recieved:

Sense and Sensibility - Patrick Doyle (so far so good)

and

King Kong - James Newton Howard (so far so good also)

been trying to listen straight through them both, but haven't had the time to do the whole so I've got about half of each CD to go through. So far, Im loving both.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The Two Towers Complete to replace my ugly looking radio promos.

That's it.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2007
    Erik Woods wrote

That's it.

-Erik-

If you don't get the promos, you use to buy scores from not your personal favourite composers?
  4. Due to Christmas and my birthday being somehow related, I got a whole bunch out of it:

Howard Shore: The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring (Complete Recordings)
    Howard Shore: The Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers (Complete Recordings)
    Brian Tyler: Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem
    Steve Jablonsky: Transformers
    Trevor Morris: The Tudors

I´m quite happy now. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

That's it.

-Erik-

If you don't get the promos, you use to buy scores from not your personal favourite composers?

Come again?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

That's it.

-Erik-

Come again?

-Erik-

This is not the first time Jordi's words have been indecipherable tonight! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2007 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    - Blade Runner (5-DVD set)
    Hoping that there's some mention of the music in the commentaries/documentaries.

Hate to disappoint you, but there hardly is. It's the one thing they only touch upon with just a few sentences. It's discussed a bit, but not as much as everything else is; it's the biggest complaint about this, otherwise wonderful and very extensive, edition.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2007 edited
    Nautilus wrote

Come on, Erik, you know what this means if you want to.
    If you don´t get the promos, do you buy scores from composers who are no personal favourites of yours?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2007
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Come on, Erik, you know what this means if you want to.
    If you don´t get the promos, do you buy scores from composers who are no personal favourites of yours?

I was being completely serious... I had no idea what he was getting at.

Ok... so to answer the question. The only scores I buy now are limited edition CD's. Those are the only CD's that aren't given out as promos.

As far as Shore not being a favorite... I never ever said that.

As far as buy music from composers who i don't like... I can't remember the last time a bought a score by Revell, Rabin, or Vangelis. biggrin

-Erik-
  5. Thank you, Erik (translating the silence biggrin ).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

That's it.

-Erik-

Come again?

-Erik-

This is not the first time Jordi's words have been indecipherable tonight! dizzy

Just tonight? wink
  6. I didn't get any for Christmas, but I've had three CD parcels arrive in the last few days:

- The Mechanic (Fielding)
    - Jaws 3D (Parker)
    - One Night with the King (Redford)
    - Rio Conchos (Goldsmith)
    - Images (Williams)
    - Isle of the Dead / Symphonic Dances (Rachmaninov)
    - Piano Concertos 1 & 2 / Totentanz (Lizst)
    - Metropolis Symphony (Daugherty)
    - Violin Concerto (Sibelius - features both the original version and the more widely-known revision)
    - Ravel: Orchestral Works (Abbado conducting)
    - Navajo Joe (Morricone)
    - Bruce Brubaker performs Hope Street Tunnel Blues (featuring works by Glass and Alvin Curran)
    - Symphonie Fantastique (Berlioz)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorRick
    Havn't got anything yet but gots me stacks of cash (seeing as my birthday and Christmas are reasonably close) and am looking forward to putting a small dent in that SAE wishlist of mine...including BSG season 3, Dr Who Season 3, The complete Return of the King, Gloria, Alien, Jaws 3, Harry and the Hendersons and plenty more.

I'm trying to decide whether to wait and see what Intrada's new release will be early next year or just order everthing now........
  7. Rick wrote
    The complete Return of the King

The current printing has a failure on the DVD, wait for the second release.