• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I would be interested to hear opinions on Google's cloud storage thing.

I have just signed up for their free 5GB storage option and am now looking for an application. I imagine that it would be useful for people familiar with Google Docs but as I have never used this function then I am not sure of the benefits of this.

What I could use it for is for storing mp3s and album artwork for convenient access to these on my smartphone.

BTW, I use Dropbox as a place for work-related documents for easy access on the move and as a back-up for the documents. I assume Google Drive could be use in the same way?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2012
    Dropbox smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    dizzy Did you even read Alan's post, D.? dizzy
    wink

Alan, aparently I am not "eligible" for Google Drive yet, so I can't comment.
    But at first sight it seems different from Dropbox in that Google Drive isn't a synchronisation tool (i.e. keeping folders on local physical drives in sync), but a proper off-line storage facility (i.e. the files proper do NOT reside locally but "in the cloud").
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Same as Dropbox. The sync option is optional. You don't HAVE to have the app installed. I don't. I just log in nd drop things there to be shared with people I want.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    That's true, D., you're quite right.
    Dropbox will work as well through browsers as through the app. The latter will indeed allow you to sync folders on local drives. (I use that a lot).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    So how long must your tool be in order to be eligible for google drive?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2012 edited
    Next to Google Drive and Dropbox, there's also Skydrive, from Microsoft, which offers 25GB for free. I have no idea how it works, never used them except for Dropbox.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Microwhat?
  2. Bregt, Skydrive went from 25 to 7 GB now
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorBlu
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2012
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Bregt, Skydrive went from 25 to 7 GB now

Only for new accounts. Existing users have the option to "opt in" to keep the original 25GB program free of charge.
  3. Thanks for the comments.

In the end I dropped Google Drive - although I am still signed up to it. The Drive Android app is such a bloated thing (that can't be moved to SD card) that, in practical terms, Dropbox looks to be the more convenient for my needs.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn