• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2012 edited
    World Soundtrack Awards Saturday 20 October 2012

James Newton Howard is guest of honour, and Pino Donaggio will receive a Lifetime Achievement Award. Both will be present and have music performed at the World Soundtrack Awards.

English press release
    http://www.worldsoundtrackacademy.com/n … mp;lang=en

Tickets cost 29, 39 en 49 EUR and are available from 27 April at www.filmfestival.be and Uitbureau Gent (Veldstraat 82B - 9000 Gent, 09/233 77 88).

007 Songs in Concert
    18 October (20:30) and 21 October (14:00)

Natalia, Koen Wauters & Eva Jacobs, Jasper Steverlinck, Lady Linn, Pieter Embrechts, Noémie Wolfs (Hooverphonic), Barbara Dex, Marie Daulne (Zap Mama), Lola (AKS) and Styrofoam, bring an own interpretation of their favourite Bond songs, performed by the Brussels Philharmonic conducted by Dirk Brossé.

I like this. Bond songs are great! punk

More info:
    http://www.filmfestival.be/about2.cgi?g … mp;lang=nl

B-Movie Orchestra featuring The Cinematic Fever Girls
    donderdag 11 oktober om 21u30 in Vooruit (Balzaal)

Het B-Movie Orchestra duikt in de schatkamer van B-films uit de jaren ’60 en ’70 en stelt speciaal voor het festival het programma 'Sound of Crime' samen. De muziek ervan lijkt gedateerd, maar is nog altijd swingend, cool, erotisch en gevaarlijk. B-movie Orchestra brengt funky bigband met zinderende erotische psycho-beats. De groovy, rauwe psychedelische muziek wordt afgewisseld met donkere mysterieuze ritmes. The Cinematic Fever Girls zijn de zangeressen van dienst, al moet je niet veel meer verwachten dan wat zoete aaah’s en kleffe oooh’s. Om de ultieme cinematografische B-film beleving compleet te maken wordt de muziek op het podium ondersteund door een wervelende filmfragmentenshow.

Marc Ribot: Film Noir
    zaterdag 13 oktober om 20u in Vooruit (Theaterzaal)

Gitarist Marc Ribot – collaborator of Tom Waits, Elvis Costello and John Zorn - explores noir soundtracks from the fourties to the sixties.

Hitchcock's ‘The Lodger’ with live music
    19 oktober om 20u30 in het Conservatorium (zaal Miry)

‘The Lodger’ is een van Alfred Hitchcocks eerste films, van voor de geluidsfilm doorbrak. In ‘The Lodger’ wordt London geterroriseerd door een Jack-the-Ripper-achtige seriemoordenaar die zich ‘de Wreker’ noemt en het gemunt heeft op jonge, mooie blondines. Zeven heeft hij er al op zijn naam staan. Het eigenaardige gedrag van een nieuwe, mysterieuze huurder bij de familie Bunting wekt argwaan. Zou hij ‘de Wreker’ zijn? Speciaal voor deze film werd door violiste Anne Bakker en musicus Kevin Toma een spannende en vervreemdende score gecomponeerd.

Message from your God: You'll all be coming to Ghent.
    Kazoo
  1. Yes, this is superb news. punk

Like last year, I could order the tickets for the people who are interested in joining our group. If you decide early, I can arrange for us to sit together

I have no problem paying 49 euros for this smile

Let me know something, for those who still aren't sure, no problem, I can always go and acquire tickets later, but I can not guarantee you'll be sitting with us
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2012
    It is great news indeed, but it's not a guarantee for me to be present. To be honest, I thought I'd take it easy this year and not go, so there'd have to be a guest that draws me to the festival regardless.

Last year, it was the combined efforts of Zimmer, Goldenthal and Korzeniowski. This year, sure, James Newton Howard is great, but I've already met the guy once, and you could compile a very unsatisfactory concert program from his work. Pino Donaggio never did anything for me, so he's not a draw for me.

So, I'll be waiting for more details to he announced. You go ahead and get tickets for you and the others.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    James Newton Howard is one of my favourites, and unlike Bob, I've never met him or heard him (even though I just returned from a western concert where his WYATT EARP theme was played....talk about coincidence!).

So that's a big attraction.

I have minimal connection to Donaggio. Owned a few scores of his, but nothing really remarkable, IMO.

In either case, it's definitely interesting (plus, I love the whole Ghent vibe in general), but I'll wait a little bit more untill I see what other guests are coming....if any. Aren't there usually more than two composers?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    What, no Williams or Morricone ?!? sad

Kidding, great names as usual, we are being spoiled! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2012 edited
    I see, though, that the WSA is in late October. If I'm really unlucky, I won't attend it even if I have the dough. It may just crash with obligatory PPU studies (we're being sent out to schools for an 8-week obligatory session around that time).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2012
    Edit: Ouch, I see that it's colliding. So unless I can get down on Friday afternoon and back on Sunday, I won't come to Ghent this year, whether I want to or not. Bollocks!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Oh damn! slant
    Kazoo
  2. English press release is available here:

http://www.worldsoundtrackacademy.com/n … mp;lang=en

SST will be present as well wink
    That's the beauty of music. They can't take that away from you. (Andy Dufresne)
  3. damn, still hope you can make it Thor
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    No one else tempted, perhaps some of the Brits?
    Kazoo
  4. would be about bloody time they tasted some of our excellent beers wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2012 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    would be about bloody time they tasted some of our excellent beers wink

punk

KWAK!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2012 edited
    Marselus wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

punk

KWAK!

Kwak...

....indeed.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Marselus wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

punk

KWAK!

oh yeah, that was a good one, long time I tasted that one, maybe next friday smile
    by the way Marcel, will either Jordi or you be coming to Ghent this year?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2012
    Thor wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

punk

KWAK!

Kwak...

....indeed.

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

punk

KWAK!

oh yeah, that was a good one, long time I tasted that one, maybe next friday smile
    by the way Marcel, will either Jordi or you be coming to Ghent this year?

I'm coming. I'm sure Jordi as well. I'll meet him this weekend, but I'm sure he'll join us.
  6. excellent, you know you have a place to stay eh, looking forward to it
    let me know something soon and I'll go and buy the tickets, so that we can all sit together beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDutchbat
    Now, sure I will be joining but it's colliding in time with the International Filmmusic Symposium and followed by the 'Hollywood in Vienna' Galaconcert where I will be guest. dizzy
    Will be some flying in and out again I'm afraid, but i'm not going to miss JNH AND Pino, as well I want my chance to talk with Lalo Schifrin and David Newman in Vienna
    Difficult sometimes smile
    wow, that was fun, let's do it again (Donkey in Shrek)
  7. difficult but rewarding smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    SST will probably be there again with a group.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    SST is everywhere.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2012
    Sorry about that :P
    • CommentAuthorkilar30
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2012
    Someone knows if this year will be a Press Conference with Donaggio and Newton Howard the satursday 20 October 2012?
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Bregt wrote

I'm certainly tempted. And with it being a good few months away I could definitely save up some money to turn it into a decent trip.
  8. LSH wrote
    Bregt wrote

I'm certainly tempted. And with it being a good few months away I could definitely save up some money to turn it into a decent trip.

plus you can actually meet us
    experience: priceless smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    LSH wrote
    Bregt wrote

That'd be great! smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2012
    The James Newton Howard aspect of it is a big motivator. He may not be my favourite now, but his music did kind of get me into film scores in the first place. Seems like a no-brainer.

Plus, it'd be great to finally meet some MT people!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2012
    James Newton Howard within a two hour drive reach is enough reason to go. Meeting MT people again is certainly enough reason to go as well!
    smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2012
    cheesy
    Kazoo