• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. excellent Bregje, see you then smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorKri1985
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2012
    I would go for James Newton Howard as far as i can!! I'm so happy i can go there, and so happy this happens exactly in the next year after Hans Zimmer. They are both composers who are extremly rare to catch live....awwww! :-))See all of you there who will be present!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2012
    And visiting the beautiful city of Ghent once a year isn't a punishment either cheesy
  2. Kri1985 wrote
    I would go for James Newton Howard as far as i can!! I'm so happy i can go there, and so happy this happens exactly in the next year after Hans Zimmer. They are both composers who are extremly rare to catch live....awwww! :-))See all of you there who will be present!

excellent, hope to see you then
    •  
      CommentAuthorKri1985
    :-) yes! Last year i had no time at all to see the city due to my crazy schedule and not the best state of health! So this year i will might see more of Ghent in calm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    James Newton Howard is my favorite film music composer of all time! To meet him or hear him in a concert is like a dream come true so I definitely considering attending!

But I need some information from you guys who are living in Belgium about traveling (by train or bus), where are the best place to stay, etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2012 edited
    Christian

Try to find a plane to Brussels National Airport (BRU), our biggest airport. From there you can easily catch a train to Ghent (about 40 minutes). Ryanair flies to Brussels South, which is in Charleroi, a city an hour from Brussels. From that airport there are buses to Brussels train station (Thor can tell more about it).

In Ghent, the cheapest possibility is in a hostel (youth hostel). It'll be around 18 to 20EUR a night. All of them are located in the city center.

Here's one of the HI chain. It's a bit the other side of where the concert happens (half an hour by foot, which is very good), but it's close to the historic center and Castle of Counts and in a nice surrounding. I love HI Hostel. It includes breakfast and bed linen.
    http://www.hihostels.com/dba/hostels-Ge … 005.en.htm

Here's another one, more recent, but it's a little bit more out of the center, but close to Friday Market.
    http://www.hostel47.com/en/

If you don't fancy dorm rooms (sleeping with several together), there are other options, but it gets expensive quite soon. Here are a few of the cheaper options (including the first hostel I mentioned):
    http://www.hostelworld.com/search?searc … ;city=Gent

If you want more feedback about any of the hotels you want to stay in (location, easy to reach, ...), please let me know! For the hostels (especially the first), I'd book ahead!

As usual, me and Thomas will help and guide the people around who come to Ghent. Last year we went to a little brewery, visited Ypres and Antwerp, ... Much to do in Flanders, and most big cities are within an hour's reach from Ghent. So you can use Ghent as a base for traveling. Unless you also want to stay in Bruges for example of course.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Bregt wrote

As usual, me and Thomas will help and guide the people around who come to Ghent. Last year we went to a little brewery, visited Ypres and Antwerp, ... Much to do in Flanders, and most big cities are within an hour's reach from Ghent. So you can use Ghent as a base for traveling. Unless you also want to stay in Bruges for example of course.

And that pork chop place! Yummy lick lick
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Marselus wrote
    Bregt wrote

And that pork chop place! Yummy lick lick

The ribsteak, you mean. Yeah, that's a fantastic place; best ribsteak I've ever had. I've eaten there both times I've been in Ghent. It's not good for my liver, but DAMN.....
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2012
    Amadeus? Haha, yeah, once a year, that's a great feast!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2012 edited
    Thank you Bregt, for the informations. If I have any questions I will let you know. From what I've seen in the pictures Ghent is a beautiful city.
  3. Cristian wrote
    Thank you Bregt, for the informations. If I have any questions I will let you know. From what I've seen in the pictures Ghent is a beautiful city.

it's a really beautiful City, equally beautiful as Brugge. The tourists however don't see it that way
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2012
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Cristian wrote

it's a really beautiful City, equally beautiful as Brugge. The tourists however don't see it that way

Their loss!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2012
    My sister will join me, she also like film music, her favorite composer is Thomas Newman but she also like James Newton Howard. I can't wait to meet maintitles people.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Wow, very cool! It'll be a great bunch again this year!
    Kazoo
  4. you said it, it will be another busy but memorable weekend
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2012 edited
    Here's how the situation is:

Before summer (hopefully), I'll get to know which school I'll have my deployment in October. Then I need to contact them and ask if it is -- at all -- possible to take one and a half day off for Ghent. I may even offer up a white lie that the trip has already been booked, as well as interviews. If the school is forthcoming, they'll say 'yes'. If not, it's off.

But the original plan to travel directly from Ghent to Vienna for the film music events there is still 100% impossible.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Fingers crossed!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDutchbat
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2012
    Cristian wrote
    My sister will join me, she also like film music, her favorite composer is Thomas Newman but she also like James Newton Howard. I can't wait to meet maintitles people.

We can't wait to meet you and your sister there too, Cristian.

If somehow someone is not able to make it to Gent, there's always the possibility to see James Newton Howard in July: Fimucité 6, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Canary Islands, Spain.
    Concert is on friday, july 13. (incl. worldpremiere of LIVE performance "the Hunger Games"
    more info on the SST-forum.
    Other concerts: Mancini-music and 100 years Universal Pictures with worldpremieres.
    wow, that was fun, let's do it again (Donkey in Shrek)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDutchbat
    Thor wrote

But the original plan to travel directly from Ghent to Vienna for the film music events there is still 100% impossible.

Damn, so now I've got to carry both standsuitcases myself crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Dutchbat wrote
    Thor wrote

Damn, so now I've got to carry both standsuitcases myself crazy

wink

Is there anything film music-related you're NOT participating in this year, Dutchbat?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2012
    What does the VIP ticket offer?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Last year, this was with a reception afterwards (food and drinks) together with composers and guests. Lots of people. Krizstina was there I think. Usually, we go to the meet&greet on Saturday morning via MainTitles and SST. Should be this year as well. So if you want to pay a lot, be sure to buy a VIP ticket! wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDutchbat
    *thinks* Well there are some concerts I really would love to go too, but my budget is divided between
    all the SST-necessary events.

If we want to express ourselves as being world's largest internetradiostation you sure must be
    around. Now I must try to get sponsors get the same idea slant
  5. LSH wrote
    What does the VIP ticket offer?

indeed, the VIP ticket (which was about 80 euros) secured yourself a place at the reception after the concert!
  6. Cristian wrote

Christian and his sister will definitely meet maintitles people, because they will be sitting next to us at the WSA. Just ordered them 2 tickets!

it's gonna be another great weekend that's for sure smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorKri1985
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2012
    I think the VIP ticket really worth it if you can afford, not because of the food and drinks but for the chance to catch up the composers. Im still sorry i didnt go to Johnny Marr when i could, he was just sitting some rows away and none was around at the beginning aww...many other people caught Alexander Desplat and so on...and of course the closer you see the stage the better is. But the food and drink is really nothing special. I really suggest the VIP tickets for who can afford! Its not every day you see James Newton Howard performing;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2012
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Cristian wrote

Christian and his sister will definitely meet maintitles people, because they will be sitting next to us at the WSA. Just ordered them 2 tickets!

it's gonna be another great weekend that's for sure smile

beer

I can't wait to meet the wonderful people from Maintitles and attend to such a great film music event.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2012
    Just booked myself and a close friend tickets!

So who else is coming?
  7. LSH wrote
    Just booked myself and a close friend tickets!

So who else is coming?

excellent,

So far Bregt, Jordi (Nautilus), Marcel (Marselus), Christian and his sister, Krisztina (Kri1985), hopefully Thor, probably some 563 people of SST wink and myself

but I expect others to join as well, like SkatingLientje (Elin) and various others