• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2012
    Because not everything is dark, grey and grim in Griechenland!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIOFCzAv5Nk

Thanks for watching dear friends smile kiss wave
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Liked it, good score too D beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thank you my dear Friend smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Brilliant work, Demetris. I want to come and study there right away! smile

And yes...I'm impressed you also did the score. Loved the beat-based stuff with the guitar riffs towards the end, in particular.

Oh.....and I do seem to recognize the lead female role there! smile (you even managed to squeeze in yourself in a brief cameo).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    kiss biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Boy, Thor, you are a man of detail and attention my friend punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Aha! I see you Demetris! wink

Good promo, love the beat-based stuff at the 2:30 mark, and the way it grows...then a short pause....and the beat again plus guitar riffs in the background....ending peacefully. Nice!

Damn I feel like going there right now.

Good job D!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  1. I enjoyed the video very much indeed, D. Well done on your efforts. I really enjoyed your score as well. But, being someone getting on in years I didn't really connect with the beat-based passage. But the rest was very good indeed: interesting and the music seemed very well recorded. Nice and vibrant.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2012 edited
    Great promo video, D.!
    And great to see nepotism in Greece is still alive and well: I seem to recognise a few familiar faces? wink
    (EDIT: Poop. angry Thor beat me to it. I should read earlier comments more carefully)

The mood shots very much remind me of Cordoba and the Azores (not a bad thing at all by the way! :nostalgic: ), but I think the faculty shots with its energetic, driving "get up 'n' go" music really are the money shots. Excellent promotion of academic interest, drive, curiosity and productivity.
    Damn, it makes me want to sign up!

Question on the score!
    No, first a compliment: I really like how you weave in traditional Greek sounds and instruments without it sounding like acheesy holidays promo. It gives the whole thing a clear national flavour, while still retaining an international allure.
    I don't wanna go overboard here (it's a promo! Not a symphony!), but I honestly think you did a thoughtful and outstanding job appropriate to the material (and I tend to think I know a (very little!) about it, as I have some friends in the business and they enjoy showing me and explaining to me what works and what not).

OK, so, the question: from about 1:22 to 2:00 (and later around the 4:25 minute mark again), you opt to use -what I think is- an oriental instrument. I may be wrong, it may well be a balkan sound (esoecially when you go into the counterpoint it -melodically- certainly has more of a balkan flavour than a "Chinese" one), but still....my very first association was with the Far East.

I'd be very interested in your thinking behind this?
    Why did you choose such a stand-out instrument/sound?

No criticism intended. I'm just intrigued. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2012
    Thank you dear Friends! What a wonderful lot of comments and info! Yeap, Martijn my friend, they wanted to implement Greece with the rest of the wider area as a focal point in the Balkans and Mediterannean (as written in the text) so we tried to engage a marriage of those elemens musically too. I liked the sound of it too though, i have to confess. And once we go over to the slightly more historical break in the middle, i though it would fit in there. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    What instrument is it, though?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Was this a school project?
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm not sure, but I think Demetris is teaching in practical film production in that school.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. wow, very nice video. And fitting score too. If this was a school project, you must have aced it.
    Top points man, congrats! beer
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks guys! No it was not a school project, it was a well-paid job commissioned by the department of
    European studies of a.u.th and the state funding for studying organization.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm sure I wasn't the target market. It has great appeal I'm sure to the younger generation but speaking for myself it was too long, hard for my stroke brain to keep up with the constant changing, and the music was grating as you knew I would say.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    FInally had a chance to check out your video. I remember you posted some pictures about "a promo" some time ago, so I suppose this is the final one.

First of all, well done on getting to do this job! This is quite a gig I would think? I so hope this gets people to your university, and perhaps also tourists to the city. smile Glad you got a good amount of money for it. wink

A for the video, it's very cool! Especially the in-the-city passages. Very smooth and hip. I liked the last shot too. Really breaths the atmosphere of a university city (it wouldn't have been my first stop previously!). Seaside looks lovely and your wife is the star! Music fitted perfectly, and it must've been quite a job to sync both video with what you had in mind of the music, or was it the other way around? First the video and then the music, but then, you have to have an idea of the music. Catch 22! dizzy

It took me a while to figure out what the A in the very odd A.U.TH stood for. All came clear at the end. I could've also just read the thread title more carefully. smile

Congrats! punk
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2012
    Yeah thing was that we had hours and hours of footage so to put it in order,
    I used the music as a guide. Music was tailor-made on the initial written scenario and storyboard. Then the video was assembled based on it and it changed 5 times since the initial version,
    In collaboration with the ones who commissioned the work. Thank you Bregt !
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Yeah thing was that we had hours and hours of footage so to put it in order,
    I used the music as a guide. Music was tailor-made on the initial written scenario and storyboard. Then the video was assembled based on it and it changed 5 times since the initial version

It's you and John Williams! wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Martijn wrote
    What instrument is it, though?

yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Somehow Martijn I think he is avoiding the question
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    He is, isn't he, Tom?

I have a sneaking suspicion it may be an indigenous Turkish instrument... angelic
    popcorn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Now you gone done it!!! shocked
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Don't I know it! biggrin
    popcorn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nop, it's an Erhu smile
  3. Oh, single-stringed Chinese woman.

You should have gotten Tina Guo to record that. And get divorced in the process wink
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2012
    Oh, certainly my friend!
  4. Just noticed - single stringed Chinese VIOLIN shame
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2012
    shocked
    Nobody....nobody noticed before!

What the hell is wrong with us?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2012
    Here's another video by yours truly, music by a dear colleague.....a taste of where and with whom i work smile beer https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p … MP0sQsl4zU