• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2012
    I posted this interview in the 'science' thread as well, but I don't think anybody noticed. It's my interview with Sebastian Sylwan, the CTO of WETA. I'm sure you all know what WETA is, right? It's in English:

http://montages.no/2012/05/intervju-med … a-digital/

I also thought we needed a specific thread on visual effects. It's always fascinated me -- as an extension of my whole obsession with the audiovisual potential of film (rather than purely narrative).
    I am extremely serious.
  1. While I totally love the old-school effects such as practical and miniatures, matte paintings and the like we wouldn't have the quality in animation films without the advent of CGI.

On the other hand, CGI doesn't wow me most of the time, whereas effects shots like those in 2001 or Star Wars still make my jaw drop on the floor every time.

Why is that? Maybe because we (film fans) acknowledge the craftsmanship and blood, sweat and tears that has gone into putting those shots together. There's something physical when you see the big model of the Star Destroyer, and all its insane details that somebody has so carefully and patiently added.

This is interesting, I love effects as much as the next guy, and talking about it. beer
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Don't underestimate the work that goes into creating CGI either. Many people work weeks and months to create the effects, models and movements. It's a craft as well that requires years of practice too. A Space ship in Avatar and alike I'm sure was a hell lot of work as well, with insane details and added with patience. wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Here's a great effects reel from Game of Thrones that showcases the POWER of proper CGI usage!
    http://www.wearestd.com/steven/game-of- … ects-reel/

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Bregt wrote
    Don't underestimate the work that goes into creating CGI either. Many people work weeks and months to create the effects, models and movements. It's a craft as well that requires years of practice too. A Space ship in Avatar and alike I'm sure was a hell lot of work as well, with insane details and added with patience. wink

Oh believe me, I know that, but since it's done digitally, I can't connect to it in the same way as say, the mothership in Close Encounters because of how it's been blended with the live action footage and looks totally fantastic in every shot. As for modern cinema, I watch a bunch of behind-the-scenes features from all sort of films, and also those that you normally wouldn't think are enhanced by CGI much.

For example: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

Probably as many digital effects shots as in Avatar. But they managed to make everything seamless and look completely realistic. That's probably the most astounding visual effect of all, the ones you don't notice are there. But the one slightly noticeable effect is still the hardest one to do: that of the older Brad Pitt, it doesn't look right sometimes, human animation still is insanely tricky to do, but it's getting there.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Here's a great effects reel from Game of Thrones that showcases the POWER of proper CGI usage!

-Erik-

You're right! That shows the effects as scene enhancement to improve the story and setting. Pretty incredible really, how far they've come.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2012
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I'm about to watch this series from the begining so I want to know that there is no spoilers before I watch this Erik?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Uhm better not watch this before, it might spoil the magic of some enhanced shots I think.