• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2012
    I'm very interested in this genre. My favorite: Waking Life, The Thin Red Line, The Tree of Life, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Fountain. What other philosophical movies do you recommend me?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2012 edited
    Hmm. That very much depends on what level you want your film to be philosophical and your definition of this "genre". Also, what is your definition of "philosophy"? Are you merely talking about The Big Questions (Life, Death, Is There A God?), or also everything in between: critically examining morals of life, humanity and our society.

For example, Steven Spielberg's Artificial Intelligence has very philosophical themes (responsibilty, death, the definition of a soul) that can be debated afterwards, as does his Minority Report (morality) yet they are not "philosophical films" in the way Malick or Kubrick make them and you probably refer to here. A Clockwork Orange, likewise, has very philosophical ideas and themes on several levels.

Andrei Tarkovsky, meanwhile, makes films from a primarily philosophical standpoint and are thus, mainly due to their pondering, slow style much more recognized as philosophical works. If you enjoyed 2001, definitely seek out the original of Solyaris. His Mirror, meanwhile, is a visual essay without a linear plot that ponders on strong philosophical ideas, and is also a film Malick strongly references in his Tree of Life.

Another director that references Tarkovsky is Lars Von Trier, even dedicating his AntiChrist to him (a dark horror film, but with philosophical leanings nonetheless). Michael Haneke's films often have very philosophical undercurrents (mainly ethics, morality and human behavior), yet these are a little more difficult to detect - you are often required to find them yourselves. Das Weisse Band is a very fine example, as is his Funny Games.

But, if you prefer your philosophy a little easier to digest, you can always watch Richard Kelly's The Box. A fast paced thriller that poses a few intriguing questions along the way. Or, if you want it wrapped in a comedy, you can start analyzing the Coen brothers' deceptively simple A Serious Man.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Thank you for the recommendations. Yes, I'm talking about the big questions (life, death, is there a God?) and also about critically examining morals of life, humanity and our society. But for me is also very important the style of the director, how he ask those big question? I love the style of Terrence Malick the way his characters always ask questions, wonder and feel. The visual element is also important. For me who I am passionate about photography Malick' movies are pure GOLD. I love the way he shoot at golden hour.

By the way, have you seen Waking Life?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Why don't you try watching "The Insider" and see how a whistle blower is treated in our society. Michael Mann film nominated for 7 Oscars, starring Russell Crowe.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  1. From Tarkovsky: Stalker. The Mirror.
    From Resnais: Last Year at Marienbad. Night and Fog.
    From Bergman: Persona.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2012
    Check out one of my favourite directors, Michelangelo Antonioni, especially post-L'AVVENTURA. Be aware that the philsophy is mostly communicated through audiovisuals, though, not necessarily dialogue.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    "The Formula" tells the story of how powerful the oil industry is. It stars Brando and Scott.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  2. I don't think that's what counts as "philosophical", it's more political, as is The Insider
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Thor wrote
    Be aware that the philsophy is mostly communicated through audiovisuals, though, not necessarily dialogue.

Not a problem. Thanks for the recommendation.

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    franz_conrad wrote
    From Tarkovsky: Stalker. The Mirror.
    From Resnais: Last Year at Marienbad. Night and Fog.
    From Bergman: Persona.

Tarkovsky is first on my list, I heard about his movies but I haven't seen any so far.